F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tanzanite 335d Ordered
Studio RSR

11-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Leithen
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive

Smile Tanzanite 335d Ordered

New to the forum and returning to the BMW fold after 23 years (previously a 1993 325i). On Saturday I placed an order for a 335d M Sport Touring - just have to find a way to bide my time until March now...

F31 335d xDrive M Sport Touring
Tanzanite Blue
Black with Dark Oyster Highlight
Fineline Anthracite
M Sport Plus Package
Professional Plus Media package
Interior Comfort Package
Advanced Parking Package
Icon Adaptive LED Headlights
Active Cruise with Stop & Go
Tow Bar
Folding & Anti-Dazzle Exterior Mirrors
Electric Front Seats with Memory
Folding Rear Head Restraints
Apple Car Play Prep
Leather Instrument Panel
GardX

Any tips for tracking the build will be gratefully received.
Appreciate 5
scotgc244.00
JustChris17489.00
ajfoggy1517.00
      11-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leithen View Post
New to the forum and returning to the BMW fold after 23 years (previously a 1993 325i). On Saturday I placed an order for a 335d M Sport Touring - just have to find a way to bide my time until March now...

F31 335d xDrive M Sport Touring
Tanzanite Blue
Black with Dark Oyster Highlight
Fineline Anthracite
M Sport Plus Package
Professional Plus Media package
Interior Comfort Package
Advanced Parking Package
Icon Adaptive LED Headlights
Active Cruise with Stop & Go
Tow Bar
Folding & Anti-Dazzle Exterior Mirrors
Electric Front Seats with Memory
Folding Rear Head Restraints
Apple Car Play Prep
Leather Instrument Panel
GardX

Any tips for tracking the build will be gratefully received.
Very nice spec and a cracking colour choice... but I would say that

One thing though - have you driven an X drive model before buying ? It's a mistake I made as I was used to the harder m sport suspension and loved it. X drive comes with SE springs even though it's an M sport spec car and does change the driving characteristics, most members had been changing the springs for aftermarkets.

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

You can track the build by asking the BMW genius. Just go on to the car Build page where you configure the car and a pop up usually appears where you can ask the genius of build progress. I think you just need your order number.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
SWEET !!!

Had the same wait a couple of years back but mine arrived in December and I waited fir the new plate.
      11-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Leithen
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post

One thing though - have you driven an X drive model before buying ? It's a mistake I made as I was used to the harder m sport suspension and loved it. X drive comes with SE springs even though it's an M sport spec car and does change the driving characteristics, most members had been changing the springs for aftermarkets.
Thanks! Great minds think alike!

I have driven it, and yes the ride was somewhat bouncy/unsettled. Hard to tell over a short drive, but I've read about the ACS spring change, and I suspect I will go down that route, but I'll try living with it to start with.

I thought about the 340i alternative, but I'm in deepest darkest Perthshire, and the xDrive really is something I want. I'll fit winters next October and hopefully be able to take on my local ungritted roads without fear.

I'll look to get my order number from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! Great minds think alike!

I have driven it, and yes the ride was somewhat bouncy/unsettled. Hard to tell over a short drive, but I've read about the ACS spring change, and I suspect I will go down that route, but I'll try living with it to start with.

I thought about the 340i alternative, but I'm in deepest darkest Perthshire, and the xDrive really is something I want. I'll fit winters next October and hopefully be able to take on my local ungritted roads without fear.

I'll look to get my order number from the dealer.
Sounds like you made the right choice staying up in Perthshire - did you use Grassicks ? That's where I'm getting my 440i from.

Excellent dealership would thoroughly recommend them service so far has been superb.

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Congrats on your order. Nice spec. I thought the 6 weeks I've just waited for my 335d felt like a lifetime. March seems a long time away but I'm sure the car will be worth the wait.
Regarding the xDrive suspension, I've just moved from pre to post LCI with xDrive and Adaptive and the new car is significantly stiffer than the old car. Where the old car felt like SE spec (I actually quite liked it), the new car definitely feels like M Sport suspension even in comfort mode. The sport setting is properly firm in my opinion.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
Leithen
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you made the right choice staying up in Perthshire - did you use Grassicks ? That's where I'm getting my 440i from.

Excellent dealership would thoroughly recommend them service so far has been superb.
Yes, ordered from Grassicks, have known them for a long time and always good to support the independent dealers. Great service as usual.

I'll be interested to see how the suspension is, as the quality of roads around us is very variable. Lots of B roads and unclassified ones, that are empty and lots of fun, but greatly lacking in maintenance, so the surfaces and potholes are a constant worry.

I suspect losing the run flats might be a necessary step too.
Appreciate 1
scotgc244.00
      11-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #9
Leithen
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Congrats on your order. Nice spec. I thought the 6 weeks I've just waited for my 335d felt like a lifetime. March seems a long time away but I'm sure the car will be worth the wait.
Regarding the xDrive suspension, I've just moved from pre to post LCI with xDrive and Adaptive and the new car is significantly stiffer than the old car. Where the old car felt like SE spec (I actually quite liked it), the new car definitely feels like M Sport suspension even in comfort mode. The sport setting is properly firm in my opinion.
I agonised over the Adaptive Suspension. In the end I decided against it (I'd ticked too many boxes on the option list anyway...).

I reasoned that I would probably go down the ACS route anyway. Like so may of these options it's very hard to find a car with the right spec to test, so it's a bit of a shot in the dark. I'm not really bothered about how the ride height makes the car look - more about how resolved the car feels over bumps and ridges.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Awesome, the wait begins!
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #11
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Tanzanite blue,very nice.I see your going for the gardx treatment imho I would think very carefully about having dealer apply that, as they tend to just throw it at the car,and with a colour like tanz blue you should try and give it the best start as its a colour that needs a bit of extra tlc.I refused my dealers offers of gardx and had my car detailed and it was definitely the right choice as maintaining the stunning colour is such a doddle.Sounds like a really nice spec.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 01:19 AM   #12
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Very nice OP although with a black leather interior, black headlining and sun protection glass I'd have been ticking the box for a panoramic sunroof; really does improve the cabin ambience IMO!

My car is pre-LCI with adaptive (and still not great in the chassis department) but from what I've read the LCI version is better sorted where the suspension's concerned. Adaptive isn't really an expensive option in the grand scheme of things but on balance I think you've probably made the right call - stick with passive and if you're not happy ACS springs should sort it out.
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #13
F15CCT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I would suggest dropping the guard X and getting a professional new car detail with a good ceramic coating. Guard x won't last very long or be applied by someone who knows what there doing. Sometimes it's cheaper to get it done elsewhere and they can come to the dealer before you pick up the car.
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 04:22 AM   #14
Leithen
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss66 View Post
Tanzanite blue,very nice.I see your going for the gardx treatment imho I would think very carefully about having dealer apply that, as they tend to just throw it at the car,and with a colour like tanz blue you should try and give it the best start as its a colour that needs a bit of extra tlc.I refused my dealers offers of gardx and had my car detailed and it was definitely the right choice as maintaining the stunning colour is such a doddle.Sounds like a really nice spec.
Thank you for the heads up re GardX (thanks to F15CCT too). It was a sales pitch that sounded like a good idea, but if there are better options I'll investigate them - need to find a good detailer around Perth.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 04:26 AM   #15
Leithen
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Very nice OP although with a black leather interior, black headlining and sun protection glass I'd have been ticking the box for a panoramic sunroof; really does improve the cabin ambience IMO!

My car is pre-LCI with adaptive (and still not great in the chassis department) but from what I've read the LCI version is better sorted where the suspension's concerned. Adaptive isn't really an expensive option in the grand scheme of things but on balance I think you've probably made the right call - stick with passive and if you're not happy ACS springs should sort it out.
I didn't really want a black interior and thought about the saddle brown or cohiba. However with three small kids aged 6 and lower, I'm stuck in child car seat hell for the next few years and decided that the black dakota would be more durable and hide a multitude of sins.

Luckily It's not a car they will be in too often (we've a bigger bus for day to day duties), but inevitably they'll end up in it occasionally.

Re sunroofs - I've always been rather against them, but perhaps that's because on too many older cars they've ended up leaking!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 04:56 AM   #16
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
I didn't really want a black interior and thought about the saddle brown or cohiba. However with three small kids aged 6 and lower, I'm stuck in child car seat hell for the next few years and decided that the black dakota would be more durable and hide a multitude of sins.

Luckily It's not a car they will be in too often (we've a bigger bus for day to day duties), but inevitably they'll end up in it occasionally.

Re sunroofs - I've always been rather against them, but perhaps that's because on too many older cars they've ended up leaking!
Tbh I would do the same in regards to the interior colour if my circumstances were the same,fortunately for me I'm the only one in my car over 90% of the time so went with the merino white interior
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Got a panoramic roof on mine even though I've got the relatively light Oyster interior; in some respects it could be regarded as an expensive window but I've had no issues with leaks or rattles in the just over 2 years I've had it and it really does lift the cabin (and the effect would probably be even more evident with black leather).

I know some people aren't keen (extra weight in the wrong place and all that) but I'd certainly spec one again if the budget allowed and would have it higher up the priority list than things like additional parking aids, active cruise and memory seats. However, we all have different priorities so each to their own!
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #18
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Sounds a great car. Tanzanite is a lovely colour when clean and sunny - this is for Perthshire right ?

I still really like my 335d after 2.5 years.
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #19
Leithen
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Sounds a great car. Tanzanite is a lovely colour when clean and sunny - this is for Perthshire right ?

The sun has been known to make a brief appearance here. Just occasionally the temperature goes above 15 degrees C too...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #20
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Welcome... Looks like it will be an awesome car..
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #21
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Sounds great, as mentioned that's a stunning colour, especially in the Sun, (I think it's due to re-appear again for a couple of days in June so watch out for it)
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 1
Leithen34.00
      11-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #22
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leithen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post

The sun has been known to make a brief appearance here. Just occasionally the temperature goes above 15 degrees C too...
Wonderful colour choice!

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 4
Leithen34.00
scotgc244.00
dopper993532.50
Ss66346.00