E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I Think Clutch Is Slipping, How Much To Pay For A New One?

11-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #1
xEnVii
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E93

I Think Clutch Is Slipping, How Much To Pay For A New One?

Just wanted some advice please on how much I should be paying for a new new clutch?

Car is a Manual 2009 E93 330i - 80K miles.

Now I have never mistreated my car, drove it silly, or ever disabled traction. I love it as a solid cruiser with a good pull around windy roads and a nice drive through the countryside.

However, I noticed the clutch has been slipping recently, on lower gears (1 & 2) when you are changing gears at high revs, it takes a second or two for it to adjust as it carries on reving high and then eventually settles down, never did that before and used to "snap" straight in and begin pulling immediately when you change gear, now there's a bit of delay before the revs settle down and the car begins to accelerate through the revs.

The biggest indication was yesterday, I was a little taken aback, on the motorway doing 55-60 MPH - traffic eases off and normally, like I have done for years, leave it in 6th and press the pedal, picks up nice and swiftly to 70 MPH - yesterday however, I did the exact same, put my foot on the pedal and the revs instantly jumped to about 3,500 - 4,000 - as if the clutch pedal was down too and I was free revving! Only for a second or two again before it jumped back down and was "normally" accelerating.

I thought, oh perhaps I had the clutch decompressed and that was a one off, never happened before, a few miles later however, same situation, kept an eye on it and it did in fact do the same again, foot down, no response from the car, revs jumped up, came back down and then the car started pulling away.

After doing some searches I came to the conclusion that the clutch is burning out / slipping and would need to be replaced?

Just wondering if any other part would need replacing alongside it?

How much should I be paying for parts and labor? (preferably in £'s as I'm in the UK - but all advice is welcome!)

How long would a clutch change take?

Again, any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
xEnVii
Rep

Spoke to BMW who say a new clutch is £307 inc VAT - but I may need to replace the flywheel at an additonal £1,000 too!!

Any ideas on how to find out if the flywheel needs doing? Or does it need to be looked at?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xEnVii View Post
Spoke to BMW who say a new clutch is £307 inc VAT - but I may need to replace the flywheel at an additonal £1,000 too!!

Any ideas on how to find out if the flywheel needs doing? Or does it need to be looked at?
I would buy all new when you do the job, at least at your mileage. You can find the parts cheaper at Rockauto or Partsgeek and probably worth the extra in shipping. I paid under $600 for all internal parts, although in US, so free shipping. Good luck.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
xEnVii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
I would buy all new when you do the job, at least at your mileage. You can find the parts cheaper at Rockauto or Partsgeek and probably worth the extra in shipping. I paid under $600 for all internal parts, although in US, so free shipping. Good luck.
Yes, I will be going to BMW to do the work and for the parts, they can't see my until 22nd December as I need a loaner vehicle for work purposes and thats the earliest.

I just hope the flywheel is ok!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I will be going to BMW to do the work and for the parts, they can't see my until 22nd December as I need a loaner vehicle for work purposes and thats the earliest.

Basically they can check the wear surface to see what condition it is in. When I did my clutch the dual mass flywheel had lots of internal play which you can inspect when they remove it. So make sure the thoroughly inspect it before deciding on keeping it or not, and then you are aware of the pricing they will present you with over the route I suggested. I did mine at an independent shop for $1100, all in.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:

You should find an independent shop that will use OEM parts from LuK. It'll cost half the price.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
xEnVii
Rep

Quote:
Basically they can check the wear surface to see what condition it is in. When I did my clutch the dual mass flywheel had lots of internal play which you can inspect when they remove it. So make sure the thoroughly inspect it before deciding on keeping it or not, and then you are aware of the pricing they will present you with over the route I suggested. I did mine at an independent shop for $1100, all in.
Yeah,

The gearbox and clutch are getting stripped out in 2 weeks and hoping the flywheel isnt worn!

I can just about afford the new clutch, wont be able to stretch to a new flyhweel

Out of interest, what would cause the flyhweel to be worn out? Bad clutch?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

Changed the clutch on my car 2 months ago. I did it at a garage in London where I live. Clutch plate, cover and release bearing. The parts were 198.65£ (VAT not included). Labour 270£.
Appreciate 0