BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
m3lkr
Rep
Drives: Vette

Do I have to go to dealers for service?

I don't like dealers, as I have NEVER had a good experience. I have a lift and do all of my own work. Whatever I cannot do, I take to my trusted shop, which is not a dealer. I don't care that it's free work provided by the BMW dealer.

So my question is, if I do my own work on a new M3, will it void warranty? Of course, I will get the "reset tool" and document all of my work.

The dealer will only see the car for warranty repairs, if it's more than $1000 for me to do myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
umwolverine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez M3

I would think you could change the oil yourself without sacrificing the warranty status, but why even chance it. IT'S FREE!! Plus, you will not run into future issues. I know people like doing things themselves, but in this case I think you should proceed with the dealer. "It's better to be safe than sorry".
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

think you can do stuff like oil changes yourself without voiding your warranty. i know people who go for the standard "free" oil changes but also change their own oil between the free changes... there are lots of things you can do yourself... i rotate my tires myself, change my wipers, did an oil change after the first 1000km myself and change my own oil filter... that's as far as i go but it doesnt seem to be a problem... i still follow the maintenance program from my dealership, it just means i change my oil/air filter and rotate my tires more often.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
m3lkr
Rep

Can someone post the maintenence program? I drive 20,000 miles per year and don't have time to live at the dealer.

Ps. I could not care less that it's free. As I said in my original post, it's not a cost issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

The fewer trips to the dealer, the better. IMO. Yes you can do your own fluid changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Yea, dealers really suck IMO. What is it they do in the 1,200 mile service? Just change the oil and check the car?
      04-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

While changing my own fluids in my garage, I will never get a call from the dealer telling me that the parts truck backed into the side of my once perfect M3, and thus won't have to listen to them explain how they intend to 'make it right'.

Paying for your own fluids all of a sudden seems like a bargain.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

You are NOT required to go to the dealer, or any shop, for regular maint. To keep your warranty intact, you simply must follow the maint, schedule. If it is an oil change every 5K (for example), all you need to do is keep your receipts for your oil and filter and keep a LOG of when you did, the date, and mileage. That's it.

If there is something you cannot do, eg: change a muffler chain (or whatever), then you have to have somebody do it for you (a shop, etc.). Again, keep all records and a log of what was done and when.

I have done this will all of my cars and NEVER had an issue with it, even once when a repair fell under an aftermarket extended warranty company. As long as you have a log and receipts, you are good. There is NO requirement that work must be done at a shop/dealer if you can competently do it. If it is something beyond your expertise (some complicated procedure), then obviously, you need a pro to do it. eg: If it is time for a valve adjustment, for example, and you are not a "mechanic", and you do it, then there is a valve train failure, etc, they will challenge you on that...that you fu$ked it up.

However, it is hard for them to make such an argument on an oil change!! lol.

So, if you can easily/resonably do the required maint. item, do it. If not, have a pro do it.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Doing your own service

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Yea, dealers really suck IMO. What is it they do in the 1,200 mile service? Just change the oil and check the car?
Well, I wouldn't generalize that much. My dealer has an excellent service department. The downsides, other than the labor and expense yourself, include:

1) If a warranty issue occurs, which is likely in 4 years, you will be on the defensive to prove what you have done. You will also not have developed a relationship with a dealer where they know you and want to take care of you.
2) You will not get SW updates or be aware of some TSBs that may affect your vehicle unless you take it in.
3) I doubt the scanner you can get will be as informative as the dealer's.

A risky proposition, IMO. Yes, I do my own in-between oil changes (which will be harder now, as no dipstick hole to enable use of my MityVac.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Well, I wouldn't generalize that much. My dealer has an excellent service department. The downsides, other than the labor and expense yourself, include:

1) If a warranty issue occurs, which is likely in 4 years, you will be on the defensive to prove what you have done. You will also not have developed a relationship with a dealer where they know you and want to take care of you.
2) You will not get SW updates or be aware of some TSBs that may affect your vehicle unless you take it in.
3) I doubt the scanner you can get will be as informative as the dealer's.

A risky proposition, IMO. Yes, I do my own in-between oil changes (which will be harder now, as no dipstick hole to enable use of my MityVac.
Thanks for all this info!! I agree!
      04-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Lol! I'll be missing my dipstick hole come oil change time.

I'm spoiled on the E46.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I wish I could do my own work on my car, but since I don't i have to take it to the "others".

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #13
m3lkr
Rep

If I can't do my own work without causing stress or problems with the dealer and BMW, no point in buying the car, there are plenty of other options, or I'll just keep my Vette, I can work on it without threats of warranty issues.
Appreciate 0