E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this behavior typical of the need for new Coils??

11-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Is this behavior typical of the need for new Coils??

Ok so every since I decided to do the DP fix I have been experiencing problems, so here goes:

Last night i was driving and hit the accelerator and my engine bogged down as the CEL came on, I wasn't able to accelerate over 30mph and my idle was really funky and had my car acting as if it did not want to stop when I approached a red light or a stop sign.

When I put my car in park the engine RPMs climbed/idled high and it acted as if it would stall or cut off altogether.

Sorry about posting this if someone has already had these issues before but I already purchased new Coils, I have new plugs but were unable to install them due to the coils being bad but all of this was more obvious when I went to do the DP fix and not before.

I did have long starts which I thought may have been the Coils but I wanted to start with the plugs first and then work my way up, once I discovered it was the coils I did remove and reinstall the old plugs because the new ones were throwing way too much power at the weakened coils for them to handle it.

I'm not anywhere near a guru as a mechanic (as you all can tell) but that's why I'm here to ask all the Mechanical Wizards here for your assistance and advice on this matter.

PS: I checked the codes on my Cobb and it was only two:

P2D11
P0071

With my OBD Scanner I came up with:

P0036
P0171

Thanks in advance for helping a E93 platform Noob.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Um are you running with the dp fix continously? Cuz that's only supposed to be used to pass inspection then taken off afterwards (afaik), it messes with the o2 sensors and will give you false readings which will then mess with your ecu
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
Ok so every since I decided to do the DP fix I have been experiencing problems, so here goes:

Last night i was driving and hit the accelerator and my engine bogged down as the CEL came on, I wasn't able to accelerate over 30mph and my idle was really funky and had my car acting as if it did not want to stop when I approached a red light or a stop sign.

When I put my car in park the engine RPMs climbed/idled high and it acted as if it would stall or cut off altogether.

Sorry about posting this if someone has already had these issues before but I already purchased new Coils, I have new plugs but were unable to install them due to the coils being bad but all of this was more obvious when I went to do the DP fix and not before.

I did have long starts which I thought may have been the Coils but I wanted to start with the plugs first and then work my way up, once I discovered it was the coils I did remove and reinstall the old plugs because the new ones were throwing way too much power at the weakened coils for them to handle it.

I'm not anywhere near a guru as a mechanic (as you all can tell) but that's why I'm here to ask all the Mechanical Wizards here for your assistance and advice on this matter.

PS: I checked the codes on my Cobb and it was only two:

P2D11
P0071

With my OBD Scanner I came up with:

P0036
P0171

Thanks in advance for helping a E93 platform Noob.
How many miles do you have on the coils and plugs?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
Um are you running with the dp fix continously? Cuz that's only supposed to be used to pass inspection then taken off afterwards (afaik), it messes with the o2 sensors and will give you false readings which will then mess with your ecu
I have it on permanently, it is the new one clip the wires and install in order not to get the CEL.

I wasn't aware that there was one that you can actually uninstall or not have to use continuously, I don't have the JB4 but I do have the Cobb and as I'm certain you know that you can just remove the code but it'll come back when you start it back up again.

Is there something I'm missing regarding a different or new DP fix??
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
The coils may have been in long before I bought the car, I'm not sure as it is a CPO but my plugs had about 25K on them but I decided to go with new ones due to running the Cobb.

When I ran the scanner on the coils I definitely came up with misfires on 3, 4 and 6 bank this was after the new plugs were installed so I put the old ones back in but didn't have any issues with misfires so I know it's the coils.

I ordered new coils and I'm awaiting for them to arrive.

I will update on the situation once I get them and install/check to see if there are any issues.

Thanks for looking out for me to both you and Black N54is
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
The coils may have been in long before I bought the car, I'm not sure as it is a CPO but my plugs had about 25K on them but I decided to go with new ones due to running the Cobb.

When I ran the scanner on the coils I definitely came up with misfires on 3, 4 and 6 bank this was after the new plugs were installed so I put the old ones back in but didn't have any issues with misfires so I know it's the coils.

I ordered new coils and I'm awaiting for them to arrive.

I will update on the situation once I get them and install/check to see if there are any issues.

Thanks for looking out for me to both you and Black N54is
When you tune a car it will burn up coils, plugs and injectors twice as fast. Also, oil should be changed a lot more often.
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      11-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #7
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm running catless dp with Cobb stage 2+ and I don't have a dp fix installed. I would suggest looking into this further, but AFAIK the Cobb tune deals with the dp fix for you, so no need to add one on.

A couple of my friends are running the same configuration as I am, and they have passed emissions. My test is coming up in January so I'll know first hand if it really works after that.

I would start by removing the dp fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
I have it on permanently, it is the new one clip the wires and install in order not to get the CEL.

I wasn't aware that there was one that you can actually uninstall or not have to use continuously, I don't have the JB4 but I do have the Cobb and as I'm certain you know that you can just remove the code but it'll come back when you start it back up again.

Is there something I'm missing regarding a different or new DP fix??
Cobb stage 2/+ removes the codes and cel, so I'm a little confused on why you feel the need to run a dp fix...or which one you're using.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
Cobb stage 2/+ removes the codes and cel, so I'm a little confused on why you feel the need to run a dp fix...or which one you're using.
Yes I'm aware of that, the reason I wanted to remove it is because it's there everytime I start up my car and it's annoying. I'd just rather not have the light show up each time I start up.

Besides I already paid for the little thingy I may as well use it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
I'm running catless dp with Cobb stage 2+ and I don't have a dp fix installed. I would suggest looking into this further, but AFAIK the Cobb tune deals with the dp fix for you, so no need to add one on.

A couple of my friends are running the same configuration as I am, and they have passed emissions. My test is coming up in January so I'll know first hand if it really works after that.

I would start by removing the dp fix.
Thanks, I'm aware of the Cobb tune but I'm getting ready to use the MHD so I will be dissin the Cobb right away.

I'm not worried about passing emissions because in Texas they haven't required it.
Appreciate 0