E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 29E1 code INPA

11-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e93 6MT

29E1 code INPA

I have been having a persistent 29E1 code come up on my car - usually always happens on cold start. I finally got INPA loaded on my mac and took a look at the fault code there. Previously I used the Carly app for BMW which is a good quick resource - I definitely prefer using INPA. I took a pic of what I saw.
Name:  IMG_3614.JPG
Views: 11382
Size:  112.5 KB
The part that caught my eye was the Lambda adaptation sum mul. and add. group 2 - it is at -29.7%. I take it that this is the sum of the Long term and Short term fuel trims - appears to be pulling a ton of fuel - since the system is too rich on Bank 2. When ever I watch cold start on INPA in the adaptation mixture screen multiplication adaptation bank 2 always shows big negative numbers and bank one is +/- very little from 0. Additive adaptation fact always seems to stay 0.0 on both banks - yet to see this fluctuate on INPA, but maybe I am looking at wrong screen.

I borrowed a Snap-on Scanner and looked at generic OBD values and found Long term and Short term fuel trim numbers. Again, big negative numbers on bank 2.

The pic I took below is after the car warmed up a bit. Why does the long term fuel trim go back up? I'll have to make a longer video and chart what it is doing between cold start and warming up.
Name:  IMG_3644.JPG
Views: 5760
Size:  76.2 KB
The fuel system seems to go into Closed loop pretty fast and that is usually when it throws the SES/CEL light. I am leaning towards leaking injector(s) on bank 2. It is also due for spark plugs, but wanting to get a walnut blasting done first - then install plugs and finally injectors. I am hopeful that my car will be part of the recent injector recall but I am not too optimistic. The car had injectors replaced back in 2009 by the dealer. I am the second owner but have all service records.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Tips on using INPA for diagnosing? I think I am on the right track but still learning the program. I have been a lurker since January of this year and read a lot of posts - great community and glad I finally joined. Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving and thanks in advance for the help and comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

I forgot some info-

Car has 79K miles and is completely stock. Trying to get some more info from scanner today if I have time.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
muncie21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335ix

You've done a good bit of trouble shooting and appear to be on the right track. As you said, injectors are the most likely culprit but plugs and wires are cheaper and quick, I'd start there. Also check the OR sensor on the bank that has negative trims to ensure it's cycling properly.

Best of luck k, let us know how it turns out
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks muncie for your input and tips. Guessing OR sensor = O2 sensor?

I have been reading up on wideband O2 sensors which I believe these are since both banks sit around 2V at idle (however from what I have read is that the voltages are made up by the computer because the sensor deals with mA (milliamps) if anyone knows otherwise please correct me). When I did the snap throttle test on them they both tracked perfectly - a bit rich then went lean on the decel. Reading INPA data the other day there was a visual for Lambda value in front of Catalyst bank 1 and one for bank 2. Since this hovered around 1 I believe this can be interpreted as the equivalence ratio? From what I have read about wideband O2 sensors is that they should be 1 as that = an A/F ratio of 14.7:1. Not sure if this is true for our cars or if I am just making this stuff up. Just trying to learn and weed through the BS on the internet - hopefully I am not contributing to the BS.

Going to schedule the walnut blasting soon, in the next week or so. Then time to change plugs and possibly just do the coils as well.

Also, maybe the SA at the dealer that will do the walnut blasting will no more about that injector recall.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corno_Baldwin View Post

I have been reading up on wideband O2 sensors which I believe these are since both banks sit around 2V at idle (however from what I have read is that the voltages are made up by the computer because the sensor deals with mA (milliamps) if anyone knows otherwise please correct me). When I did the snap throttle test on them they both tracked perfectly - a bit rich then went lean on the decel. Reading INPA data the other day there was a visual for Lambda value in front of Catalyst bank 1 and one for bank 2. Since this hovered around 1 I believe this can be interpreted as the equivalence ratio? From what I have read about wideband O2 sensors is that they should be 1 as that = an A/F ratio of 14.7:1. Not sure if this is true for our cars or if I am just making this stuff up. Just trying to learn and weed through the BS on the internet - hopefully I am not contributing to the BS.

Going to schedule the walnut blasting soon, in the next week or so. Then time to change plugs and possibly just do the coils as well.

Also, maybe the SA at the dealer that will do the walnut blasting will no more about that injector recall.

Thanks again.
In my experience bank 2 has the most carbon buildup. This fault if for "Unmetered air leak in the induction system or a miscalculation of the air usage in the induction system" Maybe dealer can smoke the induction system too when doing the carbon cleaning.
      11-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmerbrain View Post
Quote:

Thanks again.
In my experience bank 2 has the most carbon buildup. This fault if for "Unmetered air leak in the induction system or a miscalculation of the air usage in the induction system" Maybe dealer can smoke the induction system too when doing the carbon cleaning.
The P code according to INPA was P0175 which is a rich condition - thus showing that fuel was being pulled away. If it was a lean condition (air leak) it would show positive numbers. 29E1 from my research is just a mixture control problem which can either be a rich or lean condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep

Attached is what test plan shows for this specific fault for MSV80 (N54). It's hard to read, sorry about that.

Action in service -
Visual inspection of affected components -
Replace pressure sensors in induction tract -
Check plug contacts and electrical wiring to pressure sensors in induction tract -
Melted catalyst on one bank (visual inspection through sensor fittings)

The 2010 model year E9x with N54 had the 10/120k wty on injectors. And yes with the negative percentage means too rich (aka taking away fuel) my mistake. Do you have smoke at startup? Also you can look at plugs and see if they look fouled in any way. Do you have a long crank?
Attached Images

11-30-2016, 01:12 AM   #8
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

^^^^thanks for the above info. One thing I was lost on was "replace pressure sensors in induction tract" - is this coil related?

During the summer I did notice a puff of black smoke at startup of the car had been sitting for 10-12+ hours. Since it has gotten colder I haven't noticed this as much but will check it again tomorrow morning. After seeing the slight puff I was thinking an injector might be leaking down - however nothing was showing code wise or with drivability. Always seems to fire right up - nothing excessive in regards to cranking.

Walnut blasting scheduled for next week - followed by me installing new plugs and might as well do coils. The current ones have 40K miles and 7 years or so. I have also been wanting to take out the plugs but just haven't had time to tinker. Perhaps on the weekend - wanted to start it up then shut it off quickly - pull the plugs on 4-6 and see if there is any wetness on the plugs.

When I was using INPA I was just poking around and saw the rough running engine screen. Clicked on it and cylinder 4 repeatedly got into the red zone on that graph however never maxed out the red zone. I'd be curious what that plug might look like for that cylinder and if there might be any correlation.

Thanks again for your input.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^^^^thanks for the above info. One thing I was lost on was "replace pressure sensors in induction tract" - is this coil related?

During the summer I did notice a puff of black smoke at startup of the car had been sitting for 10-12+ hours. Since it has gotten colder I haven't noticed this as much but will check it again tomorrow morning. After seeing the slight puff I was thinking an injector might be leaking down - however nothing was showing code wise or with drivability. Always seems to fire right up - nothing excessive in regards to cranking.

Walnut blasting scheduled for next week - followed by me installing new plugs and might as well do coils. The current ones have 40K miles and 7 years or so. I have also been wanting to take out the plugs but just haven't had time to tinker. Perhaps on the weekend - wanted to start it up then shut it off quickly - pull the plugs on 4-6 and see if there is any wetness on the plugs.

When I was using INPA I was just poking around and saw the rough running engine screen. Clicked on it and cylinder 4 repeatedly got into the red zone on that graph however never maxed out the red zone. I'd be curious what that plug might look like for that cylinder and if there might be any correlation.

Thanks again for your input.
I would imagine the boost pressure sensor its referring too but since you just have mixture faults on one bank that's pretty unlikely. Ask if they can reset the mixture adaptations when doing the valve cleaning as well.
      11-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

I will ask them to do this - I guess I could do it too when I get the car back using INPA.

I have also noticed that when the car warms up the sum of the additive & multiplicative fuel values range between +.5% to +1.7% for bank 1 and between +8% to +10.x% for bank 2. While it's not crazy high should I still ask them to look for a vacuum leak? Or is that possibly from carbon buildup - read that the carbon buildup starves the cylinders of air. Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Definitely sounds like a leaking injector. My #6 injector was leaking giving me the same code on cold starts. Pull the plugs and see if any are particularly black/sooty.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 1
      12-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Just picked the car up from the dealer after getting walnut blast done. Tech said the valves were pretty coked up.

Driving home I felt like the car gained 20-30hp.

Plugs and coils to follow soon - and then who knows what else. Just waiting on coils to arrive.

Thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Got the coils and plugs in today.

The plugs looked pretty even - no noticeable black carbon buildup indicative of a leaking injectors. The plugs were definitely worn out - they had 40K miles on them. I might post pics of them later tonight if I have time.

I was disappointed when I opened the hood and the covers for the ECU and brake reservoir were missing. Tech forgot to put them back on. The dealer is making it right, which is nice. Just lost time, tolls, etc. Also, when I picked up the car the seat was really dirty/black on the side bolster (cream beige interior). In hindsight I should have said something about that then - however, I figured I should just take care of it as I knew I would take the care to clean it right. Enough of my rant.

i"ll see how the car behaves - I should probably also go ahead and reset adaptations via INPA.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Here are pics of the plugs I took out. Seem pretty normal - maybe on the lean side? Putting the up here to see if anyone has any opinions on them. Was hoping to see a coked up one indicative of a leaking injector. Injectors were a mix of index 6 and 7.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 6049
Size:  120.2 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 7178
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 5626
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 5440
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 5778
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 5437
Size:  105.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Well I'm stumped. So far:

intake valves walnut blasted
new coils
new plugs
reset adaptations via INPA - however, I reset them before starting the car - should the car have been running?

What I don't understand is Bank 2 is still pulling a lot of fuel but when it is warmed up it is adding fuel. Perhaps I am just being ultra sensitive to it. I put in some pics of INPA during cold start.

Looking over the pics I noticed some things that might be a bit odd, but perhaps they are completely normal.

1st pic is before computer takes over with fueling - noticed kind of a spread between the pre-cat O2 1.94V bank 1 and 1.35V bank 2 (Lambda value for Pre-cat O2 also lower than bank 1
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 5537
Size:  300.9 KB

Then the correction injection time kicked in and voltages for pre-car O2 jumped up along with Lambda value, but -26% for correction injection time?
Name:  2.PNG
Views: 5651
Size:  303.8 KB

Multiplicaton adaption factor Bank 2 starts to nose-dive
Name:  4.PNG
Views: 5662
Size:  309.7 KB

Correction injection time Bank 2 starts to level off but Multiplication adaption factor Bank 2 is at -28%
Name:  6.PNG
Views: 5543
Size:  348.7 KB

After a 40 mile drive there seems to be quite a spread between the multiplication adaption factor of Bank 1 and Bank 2. Just noticed some interesting voltages of pre and post cat Bank 1 O2 sensors, but I recall those bumping back up. When I was sitting there, I could feel car slightly misfire and RPMs went up.
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 5240
Size:  103.6 KB

Here is a pic of the OBDII section in INPA - sum of Longterm and Shorter values
+3.1% bank 1 and +11.7% for Bank 2. RPMS jumped up to 768. Curious as to what the Lambda integrator means -
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 5539
Size:  113.1 KB

I hope all the pics show in the right orientation. I am confused as to what would cause an engine to run rich on one bank (in this case bank 2) at cold start and then when the engine gets to OT it is adding fuel like one bank is running lean (bank 2). Granted 11.7% total isn't at a limit, but I would think it would be closer to bank 1.

I don't want to throw parts at it and trying to do an accurate diagnosis. Did some full throttle pulls in second and third gear (approaching redline)after being warmed up and engine was very smooth, didn't notice any misfires and no codes came up. Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for the advice.

Edit: forgot to add that I did the L-probe test in the diagnostic section of INPA. I almost think that is just a test to make sure you connected the O2 sensors for each bank to the correct plug. Anyways, passed that but not sure how conclusive it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:58 AM   #16
dasmako
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

I just had 3 injectors done on Bank 1, code 29e0 under warranty. I wasn't able to pass emissions.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #17
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

If you're still having the issue, and you're pretty convinced it's the injectors, inpa has an injector test somewhere if you poke around. Also, you may be able to swap injectors to different cylinders (like coils) to see if the problem follows the injectors. I'm NA so it's possible I'm completely oblivious to these turbo motors, but might be worth the time and effort.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #18
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for both your replies. I'm pretty convinced with injectors and am thinking about swapping bank 1 with bank 2 to see if symptoms follow the swap. Of course recoding with INPA.

Just working up the nerve to do it. Mostly worried about not seating the injector fully in the head and screwing the injector bore up.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #19
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Happy New Year!!

Just wanted to update. I replaced injectors on bank 2 with new Index 12s. Everything seemed to go ok with the replacement.

Even better - my fuel trim issues are fixed! Thanks for all your input.

Since this was my first time replacing injectors, if I did something wrong would I notice it pretty soon? Drove it down to work last night and back home. After getting off the freeway did a nice 2nd gear pull and it seemed to be smooth the whole way across the RPM range. While I'm confident in my mechanical skills, it was the first time doing this job and just nervous about screwing it up - lots at stake with these injectors if done incorrectly. Thanks again for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #20
muncie21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Congrats Corno on getting your issues worked out and also for coming back and providing an update for those that are (or will be) watching this thread!
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #21
Corno_Baldwin
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Muncie-

I couldn't have done it without a forum like this one. Such great info.

Drove the car today and seems to be still running good.
Appreciate 0