E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2EF4 code question

11-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
M980
Rep
Drives: BMW

2EF4 code question

Hello All! I have noticed that 3 times in the last 3 months my engine fan would turn on to 100% as soon as the car starts from cold. If you restart the car it will act normally. I have driven thousands of kms in the last few months since I first noticed this. Yesterday, I noticed when scanning the car for codes (I do this periodically) that I have a 2EF4 code that appeared just over 621kms ago. From what I understand this is with the mapping of the thermostat. It also says the error is currently not present. I am assuming this means a new thermostat is likely required? Will probably do the water pump while in there. These two scenarios may have nothing to do with each other but I thought I would mention all symptoms. As well, do you think it is safe to drive the car for a couple hundred miles more before replacement? I am supposed to be out of town this weekend 120miles each way. I am just trying to get a sense for the severity of the error code and to know how long I have before immediate attention is necessary. I was hoping to be able to replace it next week if it is indeed the thermostat. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The 2EF4 code is indicating the heating element in the t-stat is failing. I ran my car with the failed t-stat for over 8,000 miles until I decided to replace it. You can run the car as long as you want. The code just means the engine may no meet cold start low emissions requirements. If you have emissions testing in your locality, the car may fail inspection.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0