E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptive Headlights Pointing Down

11-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Adaptive Headlights Pointing Down

OK. I need some help and or advice. 20 mos ago, I was coming out of LAX and apparently hit a pothole (I honestly didn't see it). I was only doing about 25 and it felt like I ran over a brick, that's how hard it hit. So later on, I was on my way home and it was getting dark and noticed that i couldn't see the light from my passenger headlight. It was pointing down. So I tried to adjust it, and it only helped marginally. Took it to BMW, and luckily, the warranty I had covered replacing the entire assembly after my $99 deductible. They said that the bulb housing broke loose from the main housing. (I didn't tell them about the pothole).

So, about a week ago, it happened again. I was on the freeway in San Jose and apparently hit something in the road that felt like a brick. Of course, that night as I was heading south to go home on the freeway, my fears came true. The passenger headlight was pointing down. So I adjusted it up and it helped quite a bit but still not perfect. Since my car is now out of warranty, the next day, I pulled the wheel, fender liner and the headlight bulb housing door. Sure enough, the entire bulb housing is loose. I've read about some people just getting in there and being able to pop it back into the swivel bracket (which I assume is what it is since it still moves left & right, and moves up & down with the self test, albeit not quite as much) so I tried for about 30 mins to move it around trying to "feel" a pocket or something that it would pop back into. No luck. The next step is to pull the bumper and the entire headlight housing, which leads to my question:

Will I actually have access to pull the entire back of the housing off to attempt to either fix the swivel or see that it's actually broken? I don't want to go through all of this if I still won't actually be able to access anything. I'm planning on taking care of this in a few hours but can't find ANYTHING beyond "...I popped it back into place.." and "...I reattached the swivel arm...".

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I need to put this in the Lighting Modification Forum, please let me know and I'll move it.