E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N55 Blue smoke, rough idle on cold start (Stock 54k)

11-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Exclamation N55 Blue smoke, rough idle on cold start (Stock 54k)

I have a 13 X1 N55 (figured it would get more hits here) that isn't starting well after sitting for a while. CPO, 54k, all services performed including plugs at 45k.

After for sitting in the cold for 24hrs+, It stutters and idles poorly for 10 seconds, blowing blue oil smoke. As soon as the smoke clears up, the idle goes back to normal. There is also a single lifter that ticks until the oil is warm.

Is this normal on the N55 by any stretch? Or should I bring it to the dealer and flex that CPO?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
I have a 13 X1 N55 (figured it would get more hits here) that isn't starting well after sitting for a while. CPO, 54k, all services performed including plugs at 45k.

After for sitting in the cold for 24hrs+, It stutters and idles poorly for 10 seconds, blowing blue oil smoke. As soon as the smoke clears up, the idle goes back to normal. There is also a single lifter that ticks until the oil is warm.

Is this normal on the N55 by any stretch? Or should I bring it to the dealer and flex that CPO?

Thanks!
I have not seen many N55 smoke. I would drive it hard and try to pump those lifters back up..a Italian tune up if you will. Also you could have turbo seals starting to leak, valve guides/seals, or crankcase valves possibly failing. My advice if take a video of the next cold startup, get the smoke on camera and show to service advisor at dealer. Also you may be due for some recalls as well, two birds one stone.
      11-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmerbrain View Post
I have not seen many N55 smoke. I would drive it hard and try to pump those lifters back up..a Italian tune up if you will. Also you could have turbo seals starting to leak, valve guides/seals, or crankcase valves possibly failing. My advice if take a video of the next cold startup, get the smoke on camera and show to service advisor at dealer. Also you may be due for some recalls as well, two birds one stone.
if you decide to go for the italian tune up, which i recommend you do, make sure your car is fully up to temp before you do so. listen to your engine beforehand and ensure it sounds healthy before high revs (no sticky lifter) im sure your engine doesnt sound very healthy at all. does it burn any oil? how is your oil level? is it clean? how often do you change it?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Thanks guys. I typically drive the car very spiritedly, and yes, definitely only after the oil is up to temp! (I'm a stickler for that) The Italian tune-up might not net me anything, since at least a few times a week I do some hard pulls on to the highway and let the car stretch its legs.

I got the car at 36k, it has had the scheduled free oil changes its whole life. Oddly, even after the last 13k oil interval, the level never dropped in the oil monitor. Currently 100% full as well. I am planning on 10K intervals now that I am out of the free maintenance window, though.

Under the oil cap is 100% clean, no varnish or sludge whatsoever. But, I don't know how the previous owner treated the car the first 36k. I'll try to replicate the smoke today, get a video, and share with the forum and my SA. :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
djjsarai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW///335i Sedan

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
I started my 11 335I N55 yesterday and I had the car do a longer start than usual and then stutter a bit. Idle went back to normal after stutter and when I got out after that, I noticed what smelled like oil and gas burning. I just reached 79k and am a very spirited driver! I have CPO as well, taking it in soon because worrying me.

Also I have my own thread on the list of problems with my car (which have been many).
      11-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Thanks guys. I typically drive the car very spiritedly, and yes, definitely only after the oil is up to temp! (I'm a stickler for that) The Italian tune-up might not net me anything, since at least a few times a week I do some hard pulls on to the highway and let the car stretch its legs.

I got the car at 36k, it has had the scheduled free oil changes its whole life. Oddly, even after the last 13k oil interval, the level never dropped in the oil monitor. Currently 100% full as well. I am planning on 10K intervals now that I am out of the free maintenance window, though.

Under the oil cap is 100% clean, no varnish or sludge whatsoever. But, I don't know how the previous owner treated the car the first 36k. I'll try to replicate the smoke today, get a video, and share with the forum and my SA. :-)
13k interval?? 10k interval???? Dude!! Never!! Change your oil RIGHT AWAY and after that, every 5000 miles (7000km) NO EXCEPTIONS! If you even remotely care about your car, it is critical not to follow the BMW service intervals . This is EXACTLY why you have a sticky lifter, and also why your cold starts are rough till the oil warms up. Hell I even recommend you do two oil changes in a row with non synthetic oil or at least change the oil filter twice.. once you get clean oil in there and follow proper service intervals, your engine will be in MUCH better shape.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Quote:

Thanks!
Flex that CPO. As least get it documented that you brought it in for this issue. If it gets worse after CPO expires, you may be able to get some post CPO coverage from the dealer. This is not normal.

If the car has issues right after cold start-up, here are the possible problems that come to mind:
- Leaky fuel injector. You say blue smoke, but it can be hard to tell oil from fuel in the exhaust. Both burn.
- Leaky valve guide allowing oil to get into combustion chamber.
- Fuel pump problems

Last edited by robthewrench; 11-28-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0