E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Creaking and popping while turning at low speed?

11-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Creaking and popping while turning at low speed?

Over the last few weeks it's been getting cold in California(45-60F), which seems to be revealing issues in my suspension. About a week ago on a cold slightly cold night I noticed that the car creaked when making sharp turns at parking lot speed. It doesn't seem to matter which way I'm turning, and seems to come from the front slightly right, but I could be wrong about that. It's been doing this since. This morning was even colder and when turning out of my parking space the car creaked then for the first time popped a few times during the turn. I suspect it would behave similarly if I turned at higher speeds, but it wouldn't be safe to make such sharp turns at over 10MPH. The car otherwise drives perfectly still. Handling and stability are unaffected so far. I'll try to get a video later today.

Any idea what might be causing a creaking and popping noise when turning and would be made worse by the cold?

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 11-23-2016 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

I finally got the chance to drive it a second time today. It was about 70F out, and the car only creaked, no popping. I'm about to leave on a 6 hour trip which should give me ample time to see if anything in the car handling has changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
I finally got the chance to drive it a second time today. It was about 70F out, and the car only creaked, no popping. I'm about to leave on a 6 hour trip which should give me ample time to see if anything in the car handling has changed.
Creaking and popping can be minor...
Or, it can be major!

You DO NOT want to find out which yours is on a 6 hour trip away from home.
Rent or borrow a car for your trip.

If a suspension part breaks while you are on the road, you will have only compounded your troubles. You may very well make it to your destination and back home without incident...
Or maybe you won't. You don't know what's wrong with the car, so you can't accurately gauge the risk.

Don't start a trend/habit of putting your car on the road in this condition. Do it frequently enough and you will get bitten!

In the meantime, take some videos of the noise and post them up here. We'll help figure out what the noise is.

If you absolutely must drive the car on the trip, at least remove the wheels and give the front end a visual inspection.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Any chance the creaking/popping seems to be coming from PS pump? My car is not shy about complaining when I turn the wheel too far on a cold morning. It hasn't caused me any grief yet but I'm sure the pump will give out one day.
      11-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #5
ef11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

My car has been creaking and popping for a few thousand miles now, I know my front shocks have no more fluid left in them so it is bottoming out. Planning on replacing them very soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
klipse
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 335i

My A4 did this also. Funny thing, the loaner I got from the dealer did the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Most likely your upper strut mount bushings becoming worn. Popping sounds will most likely relate to a tie rod.
      11-24-2016, 01:28 AM   #8
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Creaking and popping can be minor...
Or, it can be major!

You DO NOT want to find out which yours is on a 6 hour trip away from home.
Rent or borrow a car for your trip.

If a suspension part breaks while you are on the road, you will have only compounded your troubles. You may very well make it to your destination and back home without incident...
Or maybe you won't. You don't know what's wrong with the car, so you can't accurately gauge the risk.

Don't start a trend/habit of putting your car on the road in this condition. Do it frequently enough and you will get bitten!

In the meantime, take some videos of the noise and post them up here. We'll help figure out what the noise is.

If you absolutely must drive the car on the trip, at least remove the wheels and give the front end a visual inspection.
Unfortunately your warning reached me too late, but fortunately the drive went fine and the car drove great. Tomorrow or Friday I'll be taking jacking up the car and inspecting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
Any chance the creaking/popping seems to be coming from PS pump? My car is not shy about complaining when I turn the wheel too far on a cold morning. It hasn't caused me any grief yet but I'm sure the pump will give out one day.
I've neaver heard anything but hissing noises from PS pumps, but I wouldn't rule it out. When I bought the car a few months ago the PS fluid was new which raised an eyebrow, but wasn't enough to make me doubt the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipse View Post
My A4 did this also. Funny thing, the loaner I got from the dealer did the same thing.
My Allroad used to groan really loud too. I never cared about that car enough to fix anything on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Most likely your upper strut mount bushings becoming worn. Popping sounds will most likely relate to a tie rod.

I just watched this video and the popping noise sounds pretty similar. Before embarking on my 6 hour drive I actually noted that the right upper strut mount bushing was torn, but didn't know what it was/did exactly. I think you probably are spot on. I also took some pictures of the bushing.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0