BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Akrapovic - Exhaust Valve Movement?

11-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
gingiman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2,6MT,MG

Akrapovic - Exhaust Valve Movement?

I have recently installed the Akrapovic Evolution Line exhaust system.

Had everything set up, connected the valve control kit and all the indicators are lighting up as required by Akra manual (LED light on valve actuator).

However, i have yet to witness any valve movement whatsoever.

Under cold start the car revs loud, and as expected, calms down and levels out after about half a minute. At that point I would have expected to see the valves closing.
Nothing.

While driving at constant RPM and shifting through the drive modes there is a noticeable difference in sound, which is even more noticeable with windows down (so not only ASD making silly noises, actual exhaust sound).

I'm a bit at a loss.
Anyone know of a fool-proof way of making valves open or close while standing so I can test if they are working properly?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

You can hear the valves opening and closing just by pressing the comfort/sport/sport+ button. Just leave your door/window w.e open

Another dead give away is if you go into neutral, rev in comfort, switch to sport+ and then rev again. There will be a clear sound difference.
Appreciate 1
jdl8r34.50
      11-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
You must hear the valve opening or closing when you press the button! If not, then it is not properly installed.

MR
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
marcusfva
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M2'17 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingiman View Post
I have recently installed the Akrapovic Evolution Line exhaust system.

Had everything set up, connected the valve control kit and all the indicators are lighting up as required by Akra manual (LED light on valve actuator).

However, i have yet to witness any valve movement whatsoever.

Under cold start the car revs loud, and as expected, calms down and levels out after about half a minute. At that point I would have expected to see the valves closing.
Nothing.

While driving at constant RPM and shifting through the drive modes there is a noticeable difference in sound, which is even more noticeable with windows down (so not only ASD making silly noises, actual exhaust sound).

I'm a bit at a loss.
Anyone know of a fool-proof way of making valves open or close while standing so I can test if they are working properly?

Thx
Had the same issue (but not for me because I prefer that way) with the Remus catback after installing on my M2. Any movement of the exhaust flaps, always open in every driving mode also in Confort. Everything fitted in the perfect place and re-checked but nothing.
I will keep it so, I love having a little louder sound
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
F87mon
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

i kinda worried after reading this thread about this cause i'm planning to get my M2 fitted with akra evolution exhaust. does anyone else has the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Nothing really to worry about. It all works as it should be and the valve control is just normally controlled by the car not by the exhaust system.

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
anurak
Private
Thailand
Rep
Drives: M4 CS

My Evo line Akrapovic M2 have the exhaust valve problem. Both valve open and close and then stay on open position in every mode.
Changing the mode does not open or close the valve.
The green light on the control unit was on all the time.
Any suggestion for this? Is it the control unit that cause this problem?

Last edited by anurak; 03-15-2017 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurak View Post
My Evo line Akrapovic M2 have the exhaust valve problem. Both valve open and close and then stay on open position in every mode.
Must be! I will double check for you when I am with my car, but I can remember it stayed closed in comfort!

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurak View Post
Same issue with my installation, after various checks using bimmerlink app I found out:

comfort:
valve is open at start and at low speed, will close at about 2200 rpms, and will eventually open with full throttle

sport, sport +:
valve stays open anytime
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
alanm2
Rep
Drives: f87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
Same issue with my installation, after various checks using bimmerlink app I found out:

comfort:
valve is open at start and at low speed, will close at about 2200 rpms, and will eventually open with full throttle

sport, sport +:
valve stays open anytime
exactly ,
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #11
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

comfort:

sport, sport +:
valve stays open anytime
Problem solved! Nice find...

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
makeitbetter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 xdrive40i

Where in SF are you located? Would like to come to check out the grills and take a look at the exhaust.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:33 PM   #13
jdl8r
Private
Rep
Drives: m2cs

So basically, they're open ALL the time (in efficient or otherwise).
I'll install the sound kit, so that they can be closed in Sport... I'd like a system that is closed MOST of the time and opens when you really want it to. The drone is just too much. Thanks!

Quote:
comfort:

sport, sport +:
valve stays open anytime
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #14
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I had a faulty box on my Akra and got another from Akra to replace it. No issues so far
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #15
mhjeep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think I have the same problem with the exhaust valve controller box. The exhaust only flows through the outer tips on each side regardless of engine mode or rpm. There is also no difference in sound in different engine modes.

How did you get in touch with Akra? I have registered my product and emailed them more times than I can remember and they have never responded to me.

I asked the shop that sold it to me and they are suggesting that I remove the modules (electric motors) and try to activate while not installed to ensure they are working independently of the exhaust system. I’m not really sure how I would do that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #16
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

The vendor got me the new box. I'm always driving on sport or sport+ so the inner exhaust tips are always clean. If you're seeing only one side I don't think it's a faulty box. I believe the way the wiring works is that it sends signals directly to both valves at once. Check to see if the valve module/actuator is screwed down too tight and not letting the actuator move. I would also try switching your left and right to see if it might be a bad actuator?
Appreciate 0