F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear wheel drive snow tips
GetBMWParts

11-22-2016, 01:33 AM   #1
Ger65
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D Gran Coupe M Sport

Rear wheel drive snow tips

Nagging doubt about not waiting for an xdrive has show it's head showed its head already. First snow of the year for me on the Bala to Trawsfynydd road last night, the snow plough gritter that met me should have been a clue to what was ahead.

No more than 2 inches of fresh snow on the road with a track where other drivers had driven of visible tarmac. I decided to shift to the righthand lane where the gritter's work was producing results and no oncoming traffic. As soon as I cut across the road out of the worn track I could feel the car slipping and sliding - not a good omen considering that it's only November and only an inch or so of snow.

Apart from sticking to lowland routes or taking a blanket and overnight food supply what are the tips for rear wheel drive driving in snow and ice?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:35 AM   #2
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Simple winter tyres i have owed BMW's for 6 years and never had an issue and due to where i live don't require Winter tyres but you might

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Yeah, use public transport

Seriously, personally I don't bother taking the car out if it's snowing - not just because obviously it's a bit of a handful, but more because of the way everyone else seems to drive.

For example, anyone with a 4 wheel drive car seems to think the laws of friction no longer apply to them, and they can carry on like it's a spring morning.

A friend used his e91 320d tourer to go skiing a few times, and he had winter tyres on and absolutely swore by them.

Alternatively, you could keep some of the snow socks in the boot incase things get a little hairy - they work pretty well too.
      11-22-2016, 02:04 AM   #4
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Winter tyres. No brainer really. I also used snow socks in the Alps, astonishingly effective but a pain in the arse to put on but only really any good if there's snow everywhere you go, you'll have to take them off when you hit tarmac.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 02:10 AM   #5
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

One of the reasons I got xDrive was so at least I could get moving in snow.
But that's the thing with xDrive, it will only get you moving. It won't stop you any quicker, steer you any better or give you much more control in adverse weather.
For the above you need winter tyres.

RWD with winter tyres and the snow of 2010 wasn't a problem. In fact it was like having a tracked vehicle.

The reasons I went xDrive rather than RWD with winters is, there are usually only a couple of snow days per year so leave the car if need be, I've been caught out a few times travelling when it's started to snow so just needed to get a home, and it's a PITA changing tyres. Plus in the damp and dry xDrive is awesome.
Appreciate 2
Ger6524.50
      11-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #6
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
RWD with winter tyres and the snow of 2010 wasn't a problem. In fact it was like having a tracked vehicle.
That's exactly what my friend said.
      11-22-2016, 03:12 AM   #7
Ger65
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Yeah, use public transport

Seriously, personally I don't bother taking the car out if it's snowing - not just because obviously it's a bit of a handful, but more because of the way everyone else seems to drive.
Good tip! Caught unaware last night - forecast was for heavy rain - didn't expect the snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 03:28 AM   #8
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
As above. Winter tyres.

Tried snow socks and yes they are effective but good luvk putting them on. Tried on my 320d on standard SE suspension for several hours while stuck outside my house. Just too little space on the rears even with my slim hands.

Winter tyres and xdrive the best solution IMHO
      11-22-2016, 05:47 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
One of the reasons I got xDrive was so at least I could get moving in snow.
But that's the thing with xDrive, it will only get you moving. It won't stop you any quicker, steer you any better or give you much more control in adverse weather.
For the above you need winter tyres.
For me stopping and car control are more important than getting moving. If you can't stop, best not get moving!

RWD and winter tyres are (for me) the best compromise, no xDrive to drag around all year, the right tyres are simply "tools for the job", winter time.

Out on the A9 this morning with slush on the road, tyres are the key to the best safety in that situation. More important than in snow, in my experience.
Appreciate 1
Ger6524.50
      11-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #10
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Out on the A9 this morning with slush on the road, tyres are the key to the best safety in that situation. More important than in snow, in my experience.
^^^This.

Particularly where ruts in the slush build up. Try crossing those on summer tyres and RWD and you'll soon know all about it if you even get it slightly wrong. I did once (in a FWD A6) and did a 180 backwards into the barriers on the A9 in exactly those conditions.
Appreciate 1
Ger6524.50
      11-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 Luxury sDrive

I'm only repeating what's been said really, but sounds like you would benefit from winter tyres, I'm just back from a trip around the highlands (Glen Coe and Rannough Moor were amazing yesterday), I've got RWD and runflats winters on 17" BMW rims and I had no issues at all I could drive with confidence whatever the conditions.
Don't just get tyres though, get a second set of wheels, takes a hour to swap them and reset the tpm system so it's easy enough twice a year.

For Weekends and sunny days:
981 Boxster GTS
Appreciate 1
Ger6524.50
      11-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #12
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsh View Post
I'm only repeating what's been said really, but sounds like you would benefit from winter tyres, I'm just back from a trip around the highlands (Glen Coe and Rannough Moor were amazing yesterday), I've got RWD and runflats winters on 17" BMW rims and I had no issues at all I could drive with confidence whatever the conditions.
Don't just get tyres though, get a second set of wheels, takes a hour to swap them and reset the tpm system so it's easy enough twice a year.
+1 although winter tyres are for all conditions under 7c not just snow.
Appreciate 2
Ger6524.50
Rev7739.50
      11-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

What everyone forgets to do is to activate DTC when it gets slushy or slippy. (the handbook tells you to do this in snowy weather). This keeps the rear wheels turning more and essential if you want to drive up a reasonable incline.

winter tyres are best but if you live somewhere where it snows once in a blue moon then just using the DTC button. Some people think pressing the button is disabling traction control but its not, it just changes how it works to give more traction.

The button is as below, above the rocker for sport/eco/etc
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
djcowlin283.00
Ger6524.50
duvetdo98.00
      11-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #14
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Winter tyres and turn the TC off. Never been stuck in a BMW in the snow by following those two rules.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Had winters on my 520d barge (bought off the gent that is xenon and they were brilliant. Never got stuck, even in the hills of Yorkshire in the coldest conditions. Need to source some for my 335dx soon.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I just use it as an excuse to practice my drifting skills.

Seriously though. DTC usually does the job. But being caught out once I bought two sets of these and have had them in the boot ever since.
(They fit very snugly by the way.)

http://www.diy.com/departments/carpl...FYhsGwode1UBnQ
Appreciate 1
Ger6524.50
      11-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I just use it as an excuse to practice my drifting skills.

Seriously though. DTC usually does the job. But being caught out once I bought two sets of these and have had them in the boot ever since.
(They fit very snugly by the way.)

http://www.diy.com/departments/carpl...FYhsGwode1UBnQ

I trust you got one of these as well

http://www.diy.com/departments/tarta...recs&rrec=true
Appreciate 1
PurpleTT370.50
      11-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #18
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

I don't have Winters on mine but the Weathers never been that bad where I live over the last 5 years since I've had BMW's. However, I do carry a bag in the car which has a collapsible small metal shovel, plastic tracks, bottle of Lucozade, gloves, hat, food etc...thinking about it, it might easier getting Winters after all!
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #19
Ger65
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
I don't have Winters on mine but the Weathers never been that bad where I live over the last 5 years since I've had BMW's. However, I do carry a bag in the car which has a collapsible small metal shovel, plastic tracks, bottle of Lucozade, gloves, hat, food etc...thinking about it, it might easier getting Winters after all!
Just what I was thinking!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #20
Apollocs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i Manual

I would strongly agree with the advice to get a second set of wheels with winters. Have had mine for the last 4 years and wouldn't be without now.

Ignore the naysayers with the scare stories about the handling/braking going to pot and excessive wear with winters when the temperature rises slightly above 6 degrees. All total rubbish with a decent set of top brand tyres.

Best solution for me has been to keep my 11 year old Mondeo with it's performance winter Conti TS 830p's. Heated screen and a petrol V6 slung over the driven front wheels for the win! Slightly tatty, stone chipped and parking knocked bodywork now, so no worries about gritters or other people driving 4x4's on summers wrecking my pride and joy

The proof that they really do work came when I got caught out near Buxton when trying to get home from visiting friends. There was a crashed lorry blocking the road at the bottom of an extremely steep hill covered in ice which you could barely stand on or walk up. I asked the policeman who was trudging back up the hill to close the road about the possibilty of getting through anytime soon. He replied that it would probably take all day so I would be best to try to turn round and go back. At that moment we both watched a fairly new Range Rover on fat summer tyres fight it's way up with all 4 wheels slipping barely making progress. The copper took one look at my ST220 on it's lowered suspension and low profile tyres and said "good luck with that son!" before walking off. The total git

I jumped in the car and pulled a nifty 3 point turn leaving it at a 45 degree angle so I could drive across the road to get moving more easily. Stuck it in 3rd to get moving and proceeded to drive straight up in 4th at barely tickover with no wheel slip at all, past the dumbfounded plod
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #21
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

A friend of mine was going down a country lane thick with freshly laid now back in about 2010 when we had some bad snow and the car following him tried taking a reasonably tight corner the same speed as my friend. What the guy behind didn't know was my friend had Winter tyres on, the guy following didn't. My friend went round the corner, the guy behind went straight off the road and into a ditch. The corner wasn't that tight nor was he going that fast.

Winter tyres, strangely better in Winter than Summers. Even if it never snowed again I'd still use them as they are just vastly better in the rain, no butt clenching aqua planing and when the roads are freezing you still have grip. Doesn't mean you drive like you do in the summer but it just gives you a lot of reassuring extra safety.

I had no idea about Winter tyres and used to be out on the road doing 40k miles a year, until you drive on them which is an absolute revelation you have no idea what you are missing, use them one Winter and you'll never go back is my advice. I've been using them for about 5 years now, just superb.

Last edited by Torque of the Devil; 11-23-2016 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:51 AM   #22
hyakuhei
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring [on order]

Winters are without doubt very good. I used to love driving in the snow with my old MX-5 and winter tyres. In fact I kept them on during the summer because they had the opposite effect, slidy-roundabout funtimes!
Appreciate 0