E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DIY Remote Heater

11-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

DIY Remote Heater

Ok so I'm thinking of an idea, would like some input from anyone who's into cars or understands wtf I'm trying to work out. Also, anyone who could figure out the math cuz I'm lazy lol

I hate getting into a cold car in the morning (like everyone else without a remote start)
I'm thinking of a small power inverter hard-lined to the battery that I can plug a small electric heater into. I can use a remote controlled relay to power the inverter so its "on demand" or even hook up a timer to turn it on like 15 minutes before I leave.
I've seen some small, cheap electric heaters and equally small and cheap power inverters.
Everything can mount in the trunk and I can leave the seat down so it blows into the cabin. So....how long do I have before my battery won't start my car ?
I barely use my trunk so plenty of space. BMW's use a pretty big battery too so there should be plenty of juice for a short time on to hopefully make it nice and toasty.

Input and thoughts please, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

This one is only 200 watts

Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2..._ao8myb00DRNSW
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

i see where you're coming from, but a few things come to mind. First thing would be the cheap electric heater, something about that sentence just screams fire hazard to me. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving that connected 24/7 especially unattended. Even with the relay there, something could go wrong and you'll have a fire that you're responsible for..I'd stay away from that idea.

I did some searching and you made me think of what remote start options are even possible. I found one called Flashlogic, might be worth looking into if you're A/T. I really don't recommended it if you're 6mt though. I see you're from North Babylon and maybe you're familiar with the story of the guy at captree with the remote start on his RX7 sending his car into the water! I was there that day and boy what a scene that was!
      11-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #4
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAlex
i see where you're coming from, but a few things come to mind. First thing would be the cheap electric heater, something about that sentence just screams fire hazard to me. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving that connected 24/7 especially unattended. Even with the relay there, something could go wrong and you'll have a fire that you're responsible for..I'd stay away from that idea.

I did some searching and you made me think of what remote start options are even possible. I found one called Flashlogic, might be worth looking into if you're A/T. I really don't recommended it if you're 6mt though. I see you're from North Babylon and maybe you're familiar with the story of the guy at captree with the remote start on his RX7 sending his car into the water! I was there that day and boy what a scene that was!
I wouldn't go with the cheapest option, just a small one. I don't mind paying for a good brand. I use one in my apartment and have for a while, definitely hear where you're coming from regarding the fire hazard tho. I would love a remote start, but I'm 6spd so that's the reason for the crazy last resort ideas lol.

I actually haven't heard that story, but if it was an older Rx, I probably know who it was. There were a couple brothers that were really into building up the rotary engines, actually lived across the street from my ex gf. Are you from the area?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

I think it's my dad that scared me with things like this. We would turn around from a 45 minute car ride to double check if the iron was unplugged. 20 years later now I'm the one double guessing what could start a fire lmao

I dug up one of the articles I could find, it was a few years ago. I'm not far from you, I'm in Islip. So sad watching them pull this beauty out of the water.
http://www.newyorklemonlawlawyer.com...mote-starters/
      11-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAlex
I think it's my dad that scared me with things like this. We would turn around from a 45 minute car ride to double check if the iron was unplugged. 20 years later now I'm the one double guessing what could start a fire lmao

I dug up one of the articles I could find, it was a few years ago. I'm not far from you, I'm in Islip. So sad watching them pull this beauty out of the water.
http://www.newyorklemonlawlawyer.com...mote-starters/
Lol, my mother was like that. Now my gf leaves the crock pot on and I freak out. Never mind her curling iron....

That looks too new for the guys I was talking about, but that's shitty either way. I'm googling now and it seems like there aren't many options. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what the local radio shops have to offer. Islip is a stones throw, in sure we'll run into each other at some point, it's a small island!

Disclaimer: I may still give this a shot, I'm stupid like that ???
I have full coverage lol
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Like others have said, this just screams fire hazard to me. If you must have some heat in the morning take a look at this:
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cus...ar+seat+heater

It won't heat up the car but YOU will be comfortable
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

You could put the heater on one of those timer outlets so it comes on at the same time everyday. This would work well assuming you leave the house at the same time every morning. Most you can set to come on multiple times a day and some can even do per day of the week.

If you park in the garage you can plug the heater into an outlet in the garage and put it in the car when you get home. Again use a timer outlet so it turns on at the right time. This way you won't be draining your battery.

You will get codes for excess battery draw, but I'm curious if if the SES light will come on if it's bad enough.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E90Rostik
Like others have said, this just screams fire hazard to me. If you must have some heat in the morning take a look at this:

I already have heated seats. And I'm a pu$$y when it comes to the cold!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
You could put the heater on one of those timer outlets so it comes on at the same time everyday. This would work well assuming you leave the house at the same time every morning. Most you can set to come on multiple times a day and some can even do per day of the week.

If you park in the garage you can plug the heater into an outlet in the garage and put it in the car when you get home. Again use a timer outlet so it turns on at the right time. This way you won't be draining your battery.

You will get codes for excess battery draw, but I'm curious if if the SES light will come on if it's bad enough.
I don't have a garage, otherwise the extra few minutes to hook up a heater every night would be well worth it. And I was thinking timer, as I do leave the house at 6am 6 days a week. But I'd like to control it myself
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #11
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Not trying to sound like a dick but why not just start the car, turn on the seats and the heat and come back in 5-8 mins? It's not the best for the car but on extremely cold days convenience and comfort are a tad more important. Also one of the great things about my car is how quickly the heat comes up to temp so I imagine it wouldn't even need 5 minutes to actually start blowing hot air. Just a suggestion only because it seems like what you're going for is involved and dangerous
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 04:23 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'm just curious, so please report back if and when your insurance company covers the loss due to fire.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #13
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123
Not trying to sound like a dick but why not just start the car, turn on the seats and the heat and come back in 5-8 mins? It's not the best for the car but on extremely cold days convenience and comfort are a tad more important. Also one of the great things about my car is how quickly the heat comes up to temp so I imagine it wouldn't even need 5 minutes to actually start blowing hot air. Just a suggestion only because it seems like what you're going for is involved and dangerous
Because that's just not how my day starts. Up at 530, brush teeth, throw shitty work clothes on and out the door praying traffic isn't too bad. If I had a nice office job where I didn't start til 7-8 maybe I could take the time to make myself coffee and let it warm up while I'm sitting around but it's just not how my routine goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
I'm just curious, so please report back if and when your insurance company covers the loss due to fire.
Everyone keeps saying fire hazard. It's not a 1950's electric heater that doesn't have safety features built into it. I understand there's always a risk, but does that mean it's guaranteed to happen? I've seen more 12v car audio amps set trunks on fire than anything else, and EVERYONE has an amp or had one at some point

My buddy has an inverter built into his dash from the factory. The diesels use an ELECTRIC heating element to warm up the car before engine heat kicks in. Not exactly a new idea
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #15
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsbma View Post
Everyone keeps saying fire hazard. It's not a 1950's electric heater that doesn't have safety features built into it. I understand there's always a risk, but does that mean it's guaranteed to happen? I've seen more 12v car audio amps set trunks on fire than anything else, and EVERYONE has an amp or had one at some point

My buddy has an inverter built into his dash from the factory. The diesels use an ELECTRIC heating element to warm up the car before engine heat kicks in. Not exactly a new idea
Agree on your point. You have a better chance of dying in a car accident that one of those heater setting fire to your car, but you don't see people not driving because of this.

As for the diesel comment, said heater is usually on/in the engine block (isolated from fuel), so its not near anything terribly flammable like carpet or cloth seats.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #16
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Sorry but I don't think your plan is realistic. People are not pointing out the fire hazard because they're stupid, but because it's a real risk. Whether you're buying the latest and greatest electric heater or not, they all operate in similar fashion, and they really don't belong in your car in the first place... As others have said, if the cold mornings suck that much, go start the car and crank up your heated seats and come back in 5min. If that isn't enough for you then install your DIY heater, but don't come back here if it goes to shit, that's all.
      11-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsbma View Post

Agree on your point. You have a better chance of dying in a car accident that one of those heater setting fire to your car, but you don't see people not driving because of this.

As for the diesel comment, said heater is usually on/in the engine block (isolated from fuel), so its not near anything terribly flammable like carpet or cloth seats.
Not trying to sound rude, but if there's a heating element on the block, it's still close to fuel. Gas has to get from the back to front somehow, and those lines run right up the block to rail. I haven't looked into exactly where the heating element is, but it has to be in the airflow path from the cowl to the cabin. Totally separate from a block heater if I'm remembering correctly
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i
Sorry but I don't think your plan is realistic. People are not pointing out the fire hazard because they're stupid, but because it's a real risk. Whether you're buying the latest and greatest electric heater or not, they all operate in similar fashion, and they really don't belong in your car in the first place... As others have said, if the cold mornings suck that much, go start the car and crank up your heated seats and come back in 5min. If that isn't enough for you then install your DIY heater, but don't come back here if it goes to shit, that's all.
I'm not saying anyone is stupid. And it's actually very realistic. The wiring is easy. I haven't calculated the wattage/amperage drain on the battery that's why I asked for help with the math. There's a hazard in everything, isn't there an open recall for melted fuel pump connectors on the BMW suv's?
No stock car has ever gone on fire because of faulty manufacturing?
I understand that the heater in question isn't designed for a vehicle, but that being said, it's designed for your bedroom or bathroom or office. Kinda a bigger risk should ANY electric heater go on fire if it's being used in a home (where everyone uses them) if they were bursting into flames and posed a serious risk, would they even be on the market anymore? There's tilt switches, thermal protection, overload protection, short circuit protection built into these units so that they DONT set your shit on fire. I'm obviously undecided, but I wouldn't do this if I seriously thought it would set my car on fire.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #19
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E90Rostik

I have heated seats
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #20
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i
I'm not saying anyone is stupid. And it's actually very realistic. The wiring is easy. I haven't calculated the wattage/amperage drain on the battery that's why I asked for help with the math. There's a hazard in everything, isn't there an open recall for melted fuel pump connectors on the BMW suv's?
No stock car has ever gone on fire because of faulty manufacturing?
I understand that the heater in question isn't designed for a vehicle, but that being said, it's designed for your bedroom or bathroom or office. Kinda a bigger risk should ANY electric heater go on fire if it's being used in a home (where everyone uses them) if they were bursting into flames and posed a serious risk, would they even be on the market anymore? There's tilt switches, thermal protection, overload protection, short circuit protection built into these units so that they DONT set your shit on fire. I'm obviously undecided, but I wouldn't do this if I seriously thought it would set my car on fire.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Op, watts are watts, so whatever watts the heater puts out is the drawl from the battery. The amperage will change with the voltage. You should look for a DC heater, then you'll not need an inverter. If you want to really do this you should use a ceramic disk type heater.

http://www.lifewire.com/12v-electric...heaters-534675
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #22
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

I had a new 2003 Jetta TDI and installed a heater in the coolant system which I plugged into the house. I had a wireless remote switch so I could turn it on about an hour before I was going anywhere. You could also set it on a timer. I wonder if someone could get something similar working for the E90 (the above kit uses ZeroStart heaters)?

It was so awesome getting into the car and the heat worked instantly. The warmth from the heater would also defrost the windshield. Car would start much easier as well.
Appreciate 0