F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 might be going. Looking at options for next car
GetBMWParts

11-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

M3 might be going. Looking at options for next car

Evening chaps.
I'm really 50/50 about the M3 at the moment chaps. I wont bore you about this on a F3x forum, you can read all about it here if you are bothered.....
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1326075

The point of the thread is to look at possible options on another car and discuss the LCI xdrive handling. Now I'm swaying back toward a 335d again as nothing really floats my boat at the moment (read the post above for reasons why) but I've a couple of questions ......

1) The old 335d xdrive had crap roly poly suspension. For those with an LCI 335d saloon, what its like now? Have they improved it much and is there no need to fit ACS springs? Not keen on changing it on my next car. I've hunted down teastons thread when he first picked his car up and he said that the handling was better than his old 330d sdrive and he seemed happy with it the way it was. Then the next thread he fitted ACS springs - so that confused the heck out of me!!!??
BTW will be definitely getting adaptive suspension regardless.

2) Options ..... looking to spec this one up and want a few more options such as full leather dash etc.... to make it more special than the old one. One of the things I'm not sure about is to go for surround cameras and rear camera. Is it worth it or just a gimmick? Dont want to add £800 to the order if its not worth it.

3) What other must have options do you guys rate?

I'm hoping to get a drive in a 335d next weekend, but am very interested in your opinions on here. I may even try a 330d sdrive for the hell of it, if they have one available.

Its not 100% if I'm swapping but swaying towards it. I've got all the figures from TRL and all stacks up fine financially that I'm happy with.

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

(And before anyone says anything, no I dont want a 340i )

***Updated*** thoughts after driving a 335d:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1328577

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 11-27-2016 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
robwils759.00
      11-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Sorry to hear the M3 has lit that fire in you.

If you are considering SDrive, surely a 340i has got to be considered?
Appreciate 2
dopper993531.00
Ss66346.00
      11-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Have you considered any other brands. Can heartily recommend you try a Macan GTS if that style of vehicle floats your boat. I have driven 3 litre twin turbo diesels for years and now gone petrol with the Macan and loving the smooth quiet engine with plenty of nice noises on tap when you want them. In no way do I feel it's missing low down torque as it's very swift to pick up speed. Handling and ride are superb.

And another brand other than BMW will give you a fresh interior and new locations for buttons etc. That may well be part of your issue as 335d, M3 etc are all essentially the same inside.

Just a thought ........
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

If you liked the 530d so much why not go for a new gen one? Initial reviews suggest it's like the current one but much better.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      11-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Sorry to hear the M3 has lit that fire in you.

If you are considering SDrive, surely a 340i has got to be considered?
Nope, not driven one but I would imagine its just a lower powered M3 (but lacking in more torque!). I may as well keep the M3.
Just want to try a 330d sdrive to be nosey! If it handled miles better (which I suspect it wont, it will be marginal) then this could be half a consideration with the PPK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Have you considered any other brands. Can heartily recommend you try a Macan GTS if that style of vehicle floats your boat. I have driven 3 litre twin turbo diesels for years and now gone petrol with the Macan and loving the smooth quiet engine with plenty of nice noises on tap when you want them. In no way do I feel it's missing low down torque as it's very swift to pick up speed. Handling and ride are superb.

And another brand other than BMW will give you a fresh interior and new locations for buttons etc. That may well be part of your issue as 335d, M3 etc are all essentially the same inside.

Just a thought ........
Its a good point to look around elsewhere. But what are the discounts like? I can get a fully loaded 335d for £41K. Not sure there is a lot else about for the same money for the same performance. I've no idea how much Macan's are.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Sorry to hear you are not getting on with your car.

It's always a pain waiting ages to get a car you wanted, then the 'click' or bonding does not happen.

How much has been influenced with your diff problem?

From your posts, I would personally hang on for the new 5 series or as per other thread, look at a remap on the M3.
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      11-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Nope, not driven one but I would imagine its just a lower powered M3 (but lacking in more torque!). I may as well keep the M3.
Just want to try a 330d sdrive to be nosey! If it handled miles better (which I suspect it wont, it will be marginal) then this could be half a consideration with the PPK.

Its a good point to look around elsewhere. But what are the discounts like? I can get a fully loaded 335d for £41K. Not sure there is a lot else about for the same money for the same performance. I've no idea how much Macan's are.
Discount and Macan are words that never appear in the same sentence unless it has a negative tone. You can beg all day for a discount from your Porsche dealer but it won't happen, they give you the second key and keying in a special box as if it's a gift lol. Some people don't even get a second key ring
BUT don't fall into the trap of thinking discounts are a good thing, they kill residuals. Long waiting lists and no discount are the way to go.
Appreciate 2
dopper993531.00
Chompers1154.50
      11-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Evening chaps.
I'm really 50/50 about the M3 at the moment chaps. I wont bore you about this on a F3x forum, you can read all about it here if you are bothered.....

The point of the thread is to look at possible options on another car and discuss the LCI xdrive handling. Now I'm swaying back toward a 335d again as nothing really floats my boat at the moment (read the post above for reasons why) but I've a couple of questions ......

2) Options ..... looking to spec this one up and want a few more options such as full leather dash etc.... to make it more special than the old one. One of the things I'm not sure about is to go for surround cameras and rear camera. Is it worth it or just a gimmick? Dont want to add £800 to the order if its not worth it.

Just read your other thread in the F80 forum, a very interesting read, although sorry that you are disappointed with your M3 mate.

Reading it makes a lot of sense to me as it rings true with how I see my own driving likes and dislikes. I've always suspected that an M3 would be too harsh and not relaxing enough for my tastes; although I hope I scratch my M5 itch one day!

I know you said that you don't want a 340i, but you might find that a 340i in sports mode straddles that balance of refinement and performance a little better than the M3? I.e. power and torque on tap but with more refinement. I find my 440i a very relaxing cruiser that can go Jekyll and Hyde at the press of a button, as do many others. I don't think of the x40i as M3-lite (I don't think such a thing exists) but as the petrol pinnacle of the F30 range, an alternative to the x35d.

Also, have you thought about a different body shape to make more of a change from your previous F30? Either a F31 or a F36 GC?

On to your questions. I have the reversing camera and I love it, very glad that I ticked that box. I do regret not ticking the surround camera option though. It would make kerbside parking much less hazardous, and I assume you can see the nose as well as you nudge up to kerbs.

My other must haves are adaptive suspension, for the incredible comfort on 19" wheels, and HUD with SLD (not sure if you have that already).

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      11-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:

The point of the thread is to look at possible options on another car and discuss the LCI xdrive handling. I've a couple of questions ......

1) The old 335d xdrive had crap roly poly suspension. For those with an LCI 335d saloon, what its like now? Have they improved it much and is there no need to fit ACS springs? Not keen on changing it on my next car. I've hunted down teastons thread when he first picked his car up and he said that the handling was better than his old 330d sdrive and he seemed happy with it the way it was. Then the next thread he fitted ACS springs - so that confused the heck out of me!!!??

Dopper, I was actually going to give a little write up on the xDrive pre / post LCI handling next weekend once I've put some miles on my new car. I still will but to help you answer your questions, there is a significant difference in how the car rides and handles. The LCI is stiffer with much less roll in comfort mode. So much so that I've not yet felt the need to switch to sport. I'll explore that in the days ahead. How much of the added stiffness is due to the car being brand new I don't know but I don't remember my previous car softening up as the miles went on.
I looked at surround cameras but settled on a reverse camera. Managed to keep my wheels on my previous car completely scuff free so assume I can do it again. And at £500 I personally think its not worth that outlay.
Must have options (IMO) - adaptive suspension, adaptive headlights, heated seats & steering wheel, Pro Nav...... basically as per my spec.

Hope this helps a little.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      11-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

I had a pre LCi 330D s drive (first BMW) then switched to an LCI 335D, found it very 'wallowy' as you say, very disappointed in handling and looks

ACS springs on now and very happy , was dubious that it would make that much difference but (I think) it does.

I'm struggling with the 335D though, wanted something special - like an M3 really

Rob
      11-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

Sorry to hear that but thank you for the warning too. I think I might get into the same category. I had two test drives in M3 which made me smiling for a quite while but I wasn't quite sure if I wanted one as a daily car. Finally I decided not to get one, partially due to other reasons partially due to my hesitation.
I'll see how it goes with my C43AMG in a few months time but it's not the same league as M3/4 I suppose.
I like my 335d in a way but 340i xdrive would have made me happier I think but we all know it doesn't exist in the UK.

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      11-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Geo's comps
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d Msport + coupe

Hmm maybe a 640d ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Evening chaps.

I'm hoping to get a drive in a 335d next weekend, but am very interested in your opinions on here. I may even try a 330d sdrive for the hell of it, if they have one available.

Its not 100% if I'm swapping but swaying towards it. I've got all the figures from TRL and all stacks up fine financially that I'm happy with.

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Just read your thread on the M3 forum, very interesting. Glad it doesn't sound that it will be too much of a financial hit for you to swap out of it.

Really made me think now, especially as I've contacted local dealer to see what price they would give me on my 335

Does the cp pack make a difference to ride ? One I looked at yesterday is a CP.
Rob
      11-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Oh no and wow, sorry to hear that you've not gelled with the new car

As you can appreciate I can sympathise whole heartedly. I felt quite similar and ultimately was pretty disappointed with the M4. I wouldn't say it felt a heavy car to drive though, mine did feel light and lithe, but I couldn't love the sound.

Oh well, no problem whatsoever. Onto the next car, is size a big issue as I have to say the M50D is bloody brilliant at pretty much everything but its huge of course.

Await a deal on the new 5? Grab an outgoing 520D MSport for £299 PCM with £0 deposit right now while deals come along?

However my reason for posting was just to say, if its not right, nothing wrong with a change if its not breaking the bank"

Last edited by JustChris; 11-20-2016 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      11-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #15
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

What's with all the "sorry to hear that..."? You'd think someone had died.

I'm wasn't keen on the hot pot my mam made tonight, how about throwing some hugs my way?
Appreciate 7
JustChris17487.50
dopper993531.00
MattRST109.50
MikeMc67.50
      11-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random75 View Post

I'm wasn't keen on the hot pot my mam made tonight, how about throwing some hugs my way?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks for the posts so far guys. I'd like to clear up the fact the M3 is a cracking car and I'll by no means put it down. But I dont think its for me. It's a very specific niche car and if driving around a track is your bag (or have have aspirations to) then this could be the car for you. Thinking more of the mindset here....

I've always wanted an M3 for as long as I could remember - a fast car that handles well - what not to like? But its not that simple. It needs to be the car for you.

They say never drive your heros - well that's a bit strong as the M3 is not a Lamborghini Countach (that supposed to drive awaful!), but all I'm saying is for anyone thinking about getting one, make sure you get a good couple of drives in one to make sure its the car for you.

For some it'll be a perfect car, but I'm surprised with myself on how I feel about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Sorry to hear you are not getting on with your car.

It's always a pain waiting ages to get a car you wanted, then the 'click' or bonding does not happen.

How much has been influenced with your diff problem?

From your posts, I would personally hang on for the new 5 series or as per other thread, look at a remap on the M3.
Nope, the diff issue did not have any bearing on how I feel about the car ... however ..... because that happened I ended up with the 530d which I liked and made me realise there are other cars I may prefer more - that threw the cat amongst the pigeons.

With regards the new 5 series ... I guess they'll be no discounts at first and they are bloody expensive compared to a 3 series (and the options). TBH if I'm to change I need to do it now before I lose too much and also dont want a new one after April next year, due to the £450 road tax. Now's a good time for me - IF I do change the M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Just read your other thread in the F80 forum, a very interesting read, although sorry that you are disappointed with your M3 mate.

Reading it makes a lot of sense to me as it rings true with how I see my own driving likes and dislikes. I've always suspected that an M3 would be too harsh and not relaxing enough for my tastes; although I hope I scratch my M5 itch one day!

I know you said that you don't want a 340i, but you might find that a 340i in sports mode straddles that balance of refinement and performance a little better than the M3? I.e. power and torque on tap but with more refinement. I find my 440i a very relaxing cruiser that can go Jekyll and Hyde at the press of a button, as do many others. I don't think of the x40i as M3-lite (I don't think such a thing exists) but as the petrol pinnacle of the F30 range, an alternative to the x35d.

Also, have you thought about a different body shape to make more of a change from your previous F30? Either a F31 or a F36 GC?

On to your questions. I have the reversing camera and I love it, very glad that I ticked that box. I do regret not ticking the surround camera option though. It would make kerbside parking much less hazardous, and I assume you can see the nose as well as you nudge up to kerbs.

My other must haves are adaptive suspension, for the incredible comfort on 19" wheels, and HUD with SLD (not sure if you have that already).
I've got the rear camera on the M3, dont use it that much TBH as its another thing to look at while reversing!!! When you've spent 30 years of driving not having one, its hard to get used to it! Was probably more interested in how useful the surround cameras are (but of course you have to spec the rear camera too with that option).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Dopper, I was actually going to give a little write up on the xDrive pre / post LCI handling next weekend once I've put some miles on my new car. I still will but to help you answer your questions, there is a significant difference in how the car rides and handles. The LCI is stiffer with much less roll in comfort mode. So much so that I've not yet felt the need to switch to sport. I'll explore that in the days ahead. How much of the added stiffness is due to the car being brand new I don't know but I don't remember my previous car softening up as the miles went on.
I looked at surround cameras but settled on a reverse camera. Managed to keep my wheels on my previous car completely scuff free so assume I can do it again. And at £500 I personally think its not worth that outlay.
Must have options (IMO) - adaptive suspension, adaptive headlights, heated seats & steering wheel, Pro Nav...... basically as per my spec.

Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for that, it sounds like the LCI is much improved! Glad to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
I had a pre LCi 330D s drive (first BMW) then switched to an LCI 335D, found it very 'wallowy' as you say, very disappointed in handling and looks

ACS springs on now and very happy , was dubious that it would make that much difference but (I think) it does.

I'm struggling with the 335D though, wanted something special - like an M3 really

Rob
Thats an interesting contrast to henny's reply above! Sounds like you need something more hardcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSE23 View Post
Sorry to hear that but thank you for the warning too. I think I might get into the same category. I had two test drives in M3 which made me smiling for a quite while but I wasn't quite sure if I wanted one as a daily car. Finally I decided not to get one, partially due to other reasons partially due to my hesitation.
I'll see how it goes with my C43AMG in a few months time but it's not the same league as M3/4 I suppose.
I like my 335d in a way but 340i xdrive would have made me happier I think but we all know it doesn't exist in the UK.
Yes, you need to be sure the M3 is for you. I think most people who like to F3x would be happy driving virtually any model. Each car is the same - just a different engine, sdrive or xdrive etc.... I few subtle differences. The M cars are a LOT different and compromises need to be made IMO.

But I dont think not everyone would be happy with an M3/4. Niche car for sure, if not a brilliant car for the right person.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #18
bmwspeed01
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random75 View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #19
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

@dopper99 what gearbox was your M3 CP? Your thread mentions 7th, is this the dual clutch job?

As with MashinBenzin I wonder how you would fair with a 340i? I went from a Pre-LCI F30 330d sDrive 8AT to a LCI F31 340i sDrive 8AT.

The 40i handles notably better than the 30d did, even in Hearse format... The nose makes the difference.

The 30d is a bit down on torque on the 35d, and I can tell I've lost a lump of torque. However, as I was sDrive that lump of diesel torque was frequently unusable... I'm finding that the 40i occasionally feels slower. Though, the numbers rising on the speedo counter this... It's really smooth and has a flat torque delivery.

There is plenty of torque for general pottering along at lazy gears. However, like your M3, a bit of a cog swap is required for swift progress...

The 40i may hit a suitable mid point on your comfort/event scale... If the M3 CP is too far to the event side... if you're not planning on any modifying, then this may be your best handling compromise.
      11-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #20
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo's comps View Post
Hmm maybe a 640d ?
No, I need 4 doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
Just read your thread on the M3 forum, very interesting. Glad it doesn't sound that it will be too much of a financial hit for you to swap out of it.

Really made me think now, especially as I've contacted local dealer to see what price they would give me on my 335

Does the cp pack make a difference to ride ? One I looked at yesterday is a CP.
Rob
I've not driven an non-CP M3, Guy's your man for comparing M cars! (gtsussex) I understand the non-CP is a little firmer. The 20's dont help either and Guy has now put 19's on his car and much prefers it. Wider tyres than standard mind for better traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Oh no and wow, sorry to hear that you've gelled with the new car

As you can appreciate I can sympathise whole heartedly. I felt quite similar and ultimately was pretty disappointed with the M4. I wouldn't say it felt a heavy car to drive though, mine did feel light and lithe, but I couldn't love the sound.

Oh well, no problem whatsoever. Onto the next car, is size a big issue as I have to say the M50D is bloody brilliant at pretty much everything but its huge of course.

Await a deal on the new 5? Grab an outgoing 520D MSport for £299 PCM with £0 deposit right now while deals come along?

However my reason for posting was just to say, if its not right, nothing wrong with a change if its not breaking the bank"
Hey Chris, I think you know where I'm coming from swapping cars, its one of your favourite pastimes.

M50D sounds awesome, but a bit big for me.

i remember you had a 335d LCI, what did you think to the handling Chris?

(BTW, are you serious about a 520d!! )

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
@dopper99 what gearbox was your M3 CP? Your thread mentions 7th, is this the dual clutch job?

Yup DCT for 7th, only the 911 has a 7spd manual that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #22
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Just read your F80 thread, very interesting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00