F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Some dumbass questions and waffle in related to winters
GetBMWParts

11-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

Some dumbass questions and waffle in related to winters

Just about to head home from a week in Cornwall, will post the pics of Hector in the dirty car thread on Sunday. He's covered in all stuff that's bad for cars, cow shit, mud, sand and sea water
Anyway I digress, I have waited until after the trip to fit my winter wheels and tyres due the the temperature here being mild.
Now I live in the sticks of Shropshire so I consider winters a must, plus I've had two 'moments' this year already on the icey untreated roads and I love Hector and do not want to prang him.
Spoken to my local tyre fitters who I use and trust and they are struggling to get my preferred makes of either Goodyear or Michelin so I'm buying via internet.
My current Pirelli's have 4 mm left on them so are due a change, certainly for snow work but should be ok for a few weeks until I source a new set.
I intend to fit the wheels myself next week, I have a mini hydrolic jack. I am fitting them myself to satisfy me that the wheels are good for the car before I spend on new tyres and I can give the calipers a good clean while I'm at it.
Questions,
Will 18" BMW Turbine style wheels fit my 340 with msport plus blue calipers? These wheels fitted my 2014 320d with blue calipers, but I'm led to believe the 340 brakes are bigger?
Are the jacking points in the car obvious? Do not want to cause damage.
I have the old style TPM on the winter wheels, will it be a case of a reset everytime I start up or a code out option?
Any recommendations for Goodyear or Michelin suppliers? I have opted for these due to both having excellent reviews. I am going non run flat. There are many budget brands out there but if I'm driving a 340 then I'm putting quality rubber between it and the road.
Thanks for your patience, I'll get my coat
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

I couldn't guarantee the turbine 18 wheels will fit over the big Blue brakes but I strongly suspect they will. I IRC the turbine wheels are an oem winter fitment so I think they will be OK
I have 225/45/18 continental 830p all round and would recommend them
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burt View Post
Just about to head home from a week in Cornwall, will post the pics of Hector in the dirty car thread on Sunday. He's covered in all stuff that's bad for cars, cow shit, mud, sand and sea water
Anyway I digress, I have waited until after the trip to fit my winter wheels and tyres due the the temperature here being mild.
Now I live in the sticks of Shropshire so I consider winters a must, plus I've had two 'moments' this year already on the icey untreated roads and I love Hector and do not want to prang him.
Spoken to my local tyre fitters who I use and trust and they are struggling to get my preferred makes of either Goodyear or Michelin so I'm buying via internet.
My current Pirelli's have 4 mm left on them so are due a change, certainly for snow work but should be ok for a few weeks until I source a new set.
I intend to fit the wheels myself next week, I have a mini hydrolic jack. I am fitting them myself to satisfy me that the wheels are good for the car before I spend on new tyres and I can give the calipers a good clean while I'm at it.
Questions,
Will 18" BMW Turbine style wheels fit my 340 with msport plus blue calipers? These wheels fitted my 2014 320d with blue calipers, but I'm led to believe the 340 brakes are bigger?
Are the jacking points in the car obvious? Do not want to cause damage.
I have the old style TPM on the winter wheels, will it be a case of a reset everytime I start up or a code out option?
Any recommendations for Goodyear or Michelin suppliers? I have opted for these due to both having excellent reviews. I am going non run flat. There are many budget brands out there but if I'm driving a 340 then I'm putting quality rubber between it and the road.
Thanks for your patience, I'll get my coat
Try Blackcircles for your tyres, good outfit to deal with, they do what they say.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
You can code out I believe to function like the old style tpms don't know how as cant code but heard it done

Jacking points are relatively obvious. Look for the plastic pillars about a foot or sod in from the tyres. Recommend you get a puck to fit in there and a low profile trolley jack as there's not much space. Oh and start at the back - more clearance for the jack and increases clearance for the fronts before the SE settles back.
      11-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

: what he said
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xdrive msport+

I have the 18" turbines as winters on by 330d with the blue callipers if that's any help.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The turbine wheels (style 415 iirc) will be fine with the M sport brakes.
Appreciate 0