THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics best vent mount for smartphone

11-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

best vent mount for smartphone

What are the recommendations for solid vent mount smartphone holder. I'm playing with JB4 mobile, and i need something to hold it. I'd prefer vent mount.

i had one of these small magnetic ones, but it either wouldn't stay in the vent, or the phone would fall off

https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Unive...l+phone+holder
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Use the Wizgear Extra Slim with a Proclip USA dash mount. Works perfect.
https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Unive...9084915&sr=8-6

ProClip:

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

i use the proclip base as well, along with the proclip holder with cable port.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

i use the belkin vent clip now.

bottom line is after time they all start to fail.
i have used suction cups, magnets, and the vent.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

I prefer the Kenu Airframe
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Use the Wizgear Extra Slim with a Proclip USA dash mount. Works perfect.
https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Unive...9084915&sr=8-6

ProClip:

Proclip is the best by far. Mine is on vent furthest from driver. You can also EASILY pull vents and run USB wire to armrest.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I'm looking at trying this one.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although this Proclip doesn't look bad, the cost is interesting you have to buy the base then the actual mount, so it adds up too.. The only thing i don't like is that it holds the phone at the bottom. Does it rotate for landscape ? Is it held snugly in landscape that it won't slide out?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak
I'm looking at trying this one.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although this Proclip doesn't look bad, the cost is interesting you have to buy the base then the actual mount, so it adds up too.. The only thing i don't like is that it holds the phone at the bottom. Does it rotate for landscape ? Is it held snugly in landscape that it won't slide out?
They have like 20 different holders per phone. And yes it's very secure. You could put your phone in upside down and it wouldn't go anywherw.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
They have like 20 different holders per phone. And yes it's very secure. You could put your phone in upside down and it wouldn't go anywherw.
zipphreak I've used ProClip mounts in/on several previous vehicles (cars and motorcycles) dating back to 2002 or so. In fact, my 2 Series is the first car that I haven't purchased a ProClip solution for since that time; I simply haven't had a need for it.

Back then, the company was tiny, independent, and on the cutting edge of the niche along with RAM Mount (which I've also used, particularly for all-weather uses) and a couple of others.

It's still fairly small -- It's based in Sweden -- and hasn't become too big for its own britches (as it were) like some others. It develops solutions based on hands-on research with each vehicle make and model, which makes the products fit about as well as can be expected without drilling or other methods that permanently alter your interior.

The idea behind the two-phase ordering process is so you can use one bracket for one device on several vehicles, or one mount for several brackets/devices on one vehicle. In the long run it actually saves you money.

The quality is slightly less than it was initially, but it's by no means bad. The vent mounts in particular are well designed and all but seamless. They just work. No, they're not that pretty, but no mount with multiple uses really is.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Another vote for proclip

Proclip was the best solution for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #11
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post

Ugh... I had that one and it was a POS.

That's why I went with the Proclip/Wizgear. I actually have the Wizgear glued to the Proclip, with the metal base for the Wizgear inside my phone case. You can mount the phone any direction you want. I'm also running this setup in my truck.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Will post some pics of my proclip later w phone installled. If you run the wire properly there's only an inch or two exposed and it looks very clean - the whole setup looks a little clunky no phone that's true but with phone it looks very slick.

Biggest tip is to remove the proclip logo, plastic dip or spray flat black, and reinstall. It looks a million times cleaner without the logo, makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here you go...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      11-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
mwickens
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

I just ordered the Kenu Airframe+ after scouring the forums this past weekend. Looks like the simplest, most elegant one with the best reputation.
      11-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
Ubermeister
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I really like this one Its called Mag'n'Mount
Looks good inside the car and holds the phone rock steady. I did wrap some electrical tape around the prongs that you insert in dashboards crevice to help keep it in place. Other types of mounts always seem to wear out over time or I couldn't place my phone in them without covering up some controls to something. Others would send my phone flying across in the car when making a turn. This has solved all those problems for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Great feedback guys.. I got that shitty one from amazon.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a POS.. it only connects to the vent on the top, and the bottom is just a rest.. So you can't put the phone in one handed without it falling out.. crappy design
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's another Proclip example.
Holds it steady in either vertical or horizontal orientation.
It also holds the phone away from the vent so that it flows air and the vent adjustments are still accessible and functioning.
I have a vent/magnet mount in my 330i and it's OK; but the Proclip is superior.

(I snapped this photo quickly to show an example and when looking at the photo I noticed that I really didn't have the phone placed properly in the holder. The right side of the phone actually sits a little more forward, and thus the phone is angled more toward the driver when properly inserted. Even when not inserted properly, the phone is secure.)

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton
Here's another Proclip example.
Holds it steady in either vertical or horizontal orientation.
It also holds the phone away from the vent so that it flows air and the vent adjustments are still accessible and functioning.
I have a vent/magnet mount in my 330i and it's OK; but the Proclip is superior.

(I snapped this photo quickly to show an example and when looking at the photo I noticed that I really didn't have the phone placed properly in the holder. The right side of the phone actually sits a little more forward, and thus the phone is angled more toward the driver when properly inserted. Even when not inserted properly, the phone is secure.)

Just FYI for those trying to decide, you can slide the mounting bracket further right so it blocks the adjustment wheel and not the actual vent. I have never once used the wheel to close the vent so no difference to me. You can still reach behind the bracket and access the wheel if you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #19
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just FYI for those trying to decide, you can slide the mounting bracket further right so it blocks the adjustment wheel and not the actual vent. I have never once used the wheel to close the vent so no difference to me. You can still reach behind the bracket and access the wheel if you want.
BEM-S4 makes a good point about the bracket placement. That is another advantage of the Proclip as I see it. BEM-S4 prefers his further to the right of where I have mine. I'm actually thinking of trying mine a little further to the left. Either way the vent controls are still accessible.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton
Quote:
BEM-S4 makes a good point about the bracket placement. That is another advantage of the Proclip as I see it. BEM-S4 prefers his further to the right of where I have mine. I'm actually thinking of trying mine a little further to the left. Either way the vent controls are still accessible.
Yeah it's nice you can put it literally anywhere left to right, and still run the wires easily if you care to do so.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #21
MeanMGN_F22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Spigen Swivel mount is hands down the best car mount I've owned. I mount it on the passenger vent and the magnet is so strong that the phone will stick no matter how you orient it.

Blocks almost no buttons the way I have it set up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #22
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwickens View Post
I just ordered the Kenu Airframe+ after scouring the forums this past weekend. Looks like the simplest, most elegant one with the best reputation.
I have a Kenu Airframe+ as well, which is a great solution for travel (i.e., rental cars) and if you use several different cars frequently because it's small, well designed, uses high-quality materials, and has almost universal fitment.

However, it will wear out fairly quickly, it's not very secure, and the weight of whatever is mounted in it can limit viewability options. It's good for what it is, but imperfect for long-term use in a single car.
Appreciate 0