E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Does being low have an affect on Driveshaft?

11-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' BMW M235i

Does being low have an affect on Driveshaft?

So my car is lowered on KW's and my passenger axle kept ripping off the boot. I posted a thread like this a while ago but haven't had a definite answer. Anytime i drive over a small pot hole with speed my passenger axle rips off the boot. I went to my mechanic and he suspects that since the car is lowered it will do that. Any other possible reasons for my car to do this? Winter is around the corner and I'm trying to reinstall the axle before the snow starts falling down lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

I remember reading that ucsbwsr was having a lot of issues with axles because of ride height. Seems like it could be a problem for you, as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
I remember reading that ucsbwsr was having a lot of issues with axles because of ride height. Seems like it could be a problem for you, as well.
Yeah the rear ride height isnt even on both sides so that might be an issue.. its not a huge difference but its there.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

I suspect you are referring to your front axle - if so then yes.
There is a limit to how low you can go, as the axles would be severely articulated at the CV joint. It is for this reason that xdrives ride 10mm higher to begin with.

Track day & Car setup blog
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

xDrive models ride higher to clear snow. RWD models don't have front axles so I'm not sure how you're correlating ride height between RWD and AWD models.

To the OP, are you using aftermarket or OEM axles? Aftermarket boots are known to fail early.

I've been on the lowest setting on H&R coilovers for 6 years now. No issues. KWs do go lower than H&Rs but you go past the valving range when you go that low. So you are not only decreasing performance, but also voiding the KW warranty. It's beyond me why they even have the bodies threaded to go outside the valving range.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
xDrive models ride higher to clear snow. RWD models don't have front axles so I'm not sure how you're correlating ride height between RWD and AWD models.

To the OP, are you using aftermarket or OEM axles? Aftermarket boots are known to fail early.

I've been on the lowest setting on H&R coilovers for 6 years now. No issues. KWs do go lower than H&Rs but you go past the valving range when you go that low. So you are not only decreasing performance, but also voiding the KW warranty. It's beyond me why they even have the bodies threaded to go outside the valving range.
They are aftermarket.. it was only the passenger axle that ripped off. Think i should only get OEM?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoe99 View Post
They are aftermarket.. it was only the passenger axle that ripped off. Think i should only get OEM?
I'd try replacing the boot with an OEM boot before replacing the axle all together. Replace both inner and outer. The kits are like $50 each.

Keep in mind I said the boots fail, not the bearings. Also all axles are re-manufactured, even from BMW. They refinish the axles, replace the bearings, and reboot/grease pack the joints whether OEM or aftermarket. However aftermarket companies use crappy boot material and they always fail within a few hundred miles, even less.

I have a Cardone reman'd axle and first thing I did when I got it was reboot it with the OEM boot kits. Has been fine for the past few thousand miles
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
s3ries
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3

my front axle kept popping in and out due to my passenger side motor mount being completely shot, had to replace the mount and axle after damage was done
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
I'd try replacing the boot with an OEM boot before replacing the axle all together. Replace both inner and outer. The kits are like $50 each.

Keep in mind I said the boots fail, not the bearings. Also all axles are re-manufactured, even from BMW. They refinish the axles, replace the bearings, and reboot/grease pack the joints whether OEM or aftermarket. However aftermarket companies use crappy boot material and they always fail within a few hundred miles, even less.

I have a Cardone reman'd axle and first thing I did when I got it was reboot it with the OEM boot kits. Has been fine for the past few thousand miles
Can you send me a link to get the boots?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ries View Post
my front axle kept popping in and out due to my passenger side motor mount being completely shot, had to replace the mount and axle after damage was done
Ill definitely check my motor mounts then! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, in order to reinstall my axles, the passenger side part that holds the axle (dont know the name) looks like its been damaged from the axle ripping off. How can i replace this in order to install my axle again? I have video link to show you what im referring to.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

In the video did you already remove the "pedestal", "supporting bracket" which is number 10 in the parts here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0718

What you are showing in the video is the plate cover tube that goes across the oil pan and meets the front differential on the other side. It is part of the oil pan, they don't sell separately as far as I know. It is not listed as separate part:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3995

The "pedestal" part (part number 10) from first link is bolted to oil pan with four bolts on that plate, and there is an o-ring that makes the seal. The pedestal part on the outside has the axle seal. On the other side of the oil pan differential is sealed to this tube/plate with another o-ring.
So some differential oil will be in that tube, and lubricate the bearing on the pedestal.

I hope you do have the "pedestal", if not that would explain why axle boot keeps popping up all the time. And if that is the case, you would be both losing differential oil there, and some dirt getting into the differential from same place.

And for that plate where it looks damage, if it won't let the o-ring that goes there to seal, you will need a new oil pan. You should look used ones at car-part.com, ebay, LKQ website.

You may unscrew the plate from an old oil pan and screw on to yours. It is bolted by several bolts with a layer of some kind of silicon based sheet as seal between oil pan and it. But I don't remember how to tube is attached to it, or to the other side of the oil where the differential is bolted on.

Also if you are indeed missing that "pedestal" I strongly suggest doing a differential oil change. Because you will be both likely low on oil and some dirt will be in the oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

This is a picture of the oil pan showing the passenger side:

This is the "pedestal" with the o-ring I mentioned previous post:

The bolted plate on the oil is not part of the damage you are showing on the video you posted. So my idea to replace the plate won't help. The damaged part is part of the cast oil pan.

I think at this point try if the pedestal can fit good and keep a seal with the o-ring and the axle not scraping or binding anything.

If not, then only a new (or used good one) will really fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330277
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #15
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
This is a picture of the oil pan showing the passenger side:

This is the "pedestal" with the o-ring I mentioned previous post:

The bolted plate on the oil is not part of the damage you are showing on the video you posted. So my idea to replace the plate won't help. The damaged part is part of the cast oil pan.

I think at this point try if the pedestal can fit good and keep a seal with the o-ring and the axle not scraping or binding anything.

If not, then only a new (or used good one) will really fix it.
Thanks Phase, i didn't really take a close look in the area in the video so idk if the pedestal is there or not but ill definitely check out getting an oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoe99 View Post
Thanks Phase, i didn't really take a close look in the area in the video so idk if the pedestal is there or not but ill definitely check out getting an oil pan.
In the video the pedestal part is not there for sure.
Appreciate 0