THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics H/K amp pinout and MOST bus connections

11-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
H/K amp pinout and MOST bus connections

Hello everyone,

I am planning on upgrading the sound system in my H/K equipped M235 and have some questions about the amp wiring and MOST bus ring.

I have decided to forgo the LOC and high level input DSP and instead use a mObridge DA3. This will allow me to utilize the higher sound quality optical MOST bus interface and a DSP all in one device all while maintaining factory volume and owner controls, where I can purchase said DA3 as a direct consumer is a different story.

Anyway, I took out the trunk liner today to inspect the stock H/K amp wiring harness but could not find the MOST optical ring connections to the amp or ASD module. I did however find 3 optical connections into the (I believe) Bluetooth combox to the left of the fuse box under the trunk liner. My question is, is the HK amp not in the MOST ring and getting just an analog audio signal from some other module, and why are there 3 optical connections into the Bluetooth combox?

The mObridge website says the f22 is supported with the NBT iDrive but I guess that means I'll just have to install the DA3 before/after the Bluetooth module.

Any insight into the ways of the MOST bus interface would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #2
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

The HK in the 2 series is a different one than the ones in the 3 series and higher, and it is analog and has no MOST connection.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
The HK in the 2 series is a different one than the ones in the 3 series and higher, and it is analog and has no MOST connection.
Correct. Basically, with a few relatively minor exceptions (example: the output from the HU is balanced, so any amp added to the system must have differential balanced inputs), the 2 Series audio systems operates like a traditional/typical wired car audio system. Your best course of action is to get your hands on the wiring diagram for it, then plan accordingly.

Last edited by Viffermike; 11-07-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Correct. Basically, with a few relatively minor exceptions (example: the output from the HU is balanced, so any amp added to the system must have differential balanced speaker outputs), the 2 Series audio systems operates like a traditional/typical wired car audio system. Your best course of action is to get your hands on the wiring diagram for it, then plan accordingly.
I believe you meant balanced signal inputs not outputs.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I believe you meant balanced signal inputs not outputs.
Yep! Post edited. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Okay, thanks for the info guys. I guess ill give mObridge a call since they say it's compatible.

Any pointers on where to find the wiring diagram? My cursory Google/forum search did not yield anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Scroll down a little in my post. Probably doesn't help, no MOST, just copper wiring.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124786
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I'm planning to completely bypass the factory audio system in this car - I'll run digital coax from my FiiO X7 to my Helix DSP Pro and the rest of the system I'm taking out of my Audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #9
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmax500 View Post
Okay, thanks for the info guys. I guess ill give mObridge a call since they say it's compatible.

Any pointers on where to find the wiring diagram? My cursory Google/forum search did not yield anything.
The mObridge DA is actually compatible, but you will, however, need to add the mObridge into the MOST loop, making the install a little bit more involved, and code your headunit.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmax500 View Post

The mObridge DA is actually compatible, but you will, however, need to add the mObridge into the MOST loop, making the install a little bit more involved, and code your headunit.
Thanks for the info. Got my DA3 on order but unfortunately they are having manufacturing problems so they said it will be another week ?

Quick question, does it matter where I add it to the MOST loop or anywhere is fine? Maybe ill start a build log when I get all my parts in.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #11
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

How do you add it into the MOST fiber optic loop if the HK amp is not part of it.. Where do you plug the pre-amp in? Is the MOST output directly on the HU ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
How do you add it into the MOST fiber optic loop if the HK amp is not part of it.. Where do you plug the pre-amp in? Is the MOST output directly on the HU ?
If I'm understanding it correctly, the MOST bus is a loop so if you attach a device anywhere in the loop they should all communicate with each other. I think the two main connection ports are the head unit and the amp. Unfortunately our amp only receives analog so that is out. When I had my trunk liner out I saw a fiber connection into the Bluetooth combox. That means we should be able to add a MOST accessory to that or the head unit. That's just my understanding of it so it could be wrong.

Since our head unit outputs analog sounds we will have to code it to output digital sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Very interesting project you got. Keep us updated, alot of good information could be gathered from your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #14
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

The devices on the MOST loop are the headunit, instrument cluster and the combox for older cars (the TCB on newer cars isn't on the MOST loop). So you'll have to add it into the loop with the input and output going to the devices you are going in between. Diagrams added for clarity.

Before:
Name:  Untitled Diagram (5).png
Views: 2924
Size:  15.5 KB

After:
Name:  Untitled Diagram (6).png
Views: 2924
Size:  20.2 KB

Oh and if you don't have navigation/NBT headunit in your car then you probably won't have a MOST loop in the car at all, and the headunit will probably not have MOST sockets.

Last edited by Gabrola; 11-11-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 1