BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

04-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
m3lkr
Rep
Drives: Vette

M3 vs C6?

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

If I have any regrets about putting the M3 on order it is because the C6 can be had for mid-$40s where my loaded M3 with DCT is $70K so that's ~$25K more even take out the DCT and with similar equipment the C6 would be $20K less.

I did not test drive the C6 before ordering the M3, my reason is I have a S2000 and was looking for a 2+2 car. But if I had not liked the M3 as much likely it would have been a 335i or C6 both in the same price range.

I believe the C6 is a great car but I was leaning towards the M3 in spite of it's price.

Also, with my ordering of the DCT it's one feature that separates the M3 from the majority of cars that are either 6MT or TQ-converted automatics. With the DCT at least that's one feature was pointing to the M3.

Likely the Z06 as well is similar cost to a M3 but at this point, for me I don't really want anything much quicker than the M3 which along with the base C6 are plenty quick IMO

I mean not interested in the Z06 is 100hp more since my wants/needs the M3 is very quick. I own a S2000 going on 6 years and it's starting to feel slow (I'm used to it's power) but I don't need a car thats twice as quick as that.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
m3lkr
Rep

I'm coming from a relatively new C6, I bought it since I had had amany Vettes before. But shortly thereafter I was reminded of the GM rattles (it's not bad actually, but it's no BMW) and without the back doors and seats, it's quite useless in my "new life" with 2 kids. Sure I can take it to work, but for everything else it's either drive my wife's lovely Sienna or my Honda Accord. Not bad appliances (get it? reliable, does the job, but boring as can be).

The M3 would "do it all" I think. But getting rid of a convertible Vette is not easy, since overall, I do like the car and feels like it handles better than the M3, and certainly has gobs more torque. . .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

yea, I have a S2000 and that's the same thing with 2 seats being unable to take the kids. So the 2+2 with a good amount of power/sport with the M3 was a good compromise.

I like the C6 but figure get the m3 now and see if I need any more performance I can get a C6/C7 down the road as a week-end car but likely the M3 is powerful enough for me.

I just was wondering if I was paying overmuch for the Bimmer meaning if the C6 is almost there with intangibles, but I think from the reviews the M3 has the C6 beat except for value or outright performance but I'm not looking for all out performance.

In the back of my mind I always think should I go cheaper with C6 or more expnsive with 911S but in the end I split the difference with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Zervos4
zervos4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3, 07 750i, 08 335i

Wow, C6 delivering better handling that a M3.....I would put my vehicle down as a bet on that one..more torque, yes but even so the numbers just don't add up...according to the mags...M3 0-60 (4.1-4.5) C6 0-60 (4.3-4.8) ...and the handling, come on man....I love vettes though, I almost got one last year but decided to hold off on the M3, for the money its one heck of a car...but the e92 stepped up
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
m3lkr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zervos4 View Post
Wow, C6 delivering better handling that a M3.....I would put my vehicle down as a bet on that one..more torque, yes but even so the numbers just don't add up...according to the mags...M3 0-60 (4.1-4.5) C6 0-60 (4.3-4.8) ...and the handling, come on man....I love vettes though, I almost got one last year but decided to hold off on the M3, for the money its one heck of a car...but the e92 stepped up
I have seen 4.0 - 4.6 for the 2008 C6 with Z51 (which includes lower gearing in the manual gear box), but slolam was around 68 while the M3 was around 72 (actually 0.5 mph better than the Z06) and it was .98g vs .94 for the Z51 and .96 for the Z06. Although I have also seen .98 for the Z51 and 1.02 for the Z06.. . .

How can a car that's 500 heavier with less torque (M3) get to 60 quicker or the same as the Z51?

But by feel, the C6 Z51 feels flatter on the turns.

Interesting and confusing. . .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

According to Road and Track, the M3 is faster than the C6 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Pulls better G on the skid pad, brakes from 60-0 and 80-0 in less distance and goes through the slalom at a faster speed. M3>C6.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
According to Road and Track, the M3 is faster than the C6 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Pulls better G on the skid pad, brakes from 60-0 and 80-0 in less distance and goes through the slalom at a faster speed. M3>C6.
The new M3 appears to be a hell of a car, performing better than its specs would imply - but don't go betting any pink slips against a Z51 Vette, on either drag strip or race course. Those cars fly.

Enjoy the M3 for what it is: A sports coupe with four seats that can run with cars that cost half again as much - or more.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
rental car interior kills any good that C6 has. car would be awesome if rednecks at GM would invest another $3k on interior and fixing panel gaps. leaf springs also bother me. pushrod bothers me. chrome wheels bother me. 5" wheel gaps bothers me. nano rear rotors bother me.

E21 is more advanced.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
rental car interior kills any good that C6 has. car would be awesome if rednecks at GM would invest another $3k on interior and fixing panel gaps. leaf springs also bother me. pushrod bothers me. chrome wheels bother me. 5" wheel gaps bothers me. nano rear rotors bother me.

E21 is more advanced.
I am guessing lots of heavy gold chains bother you to!?!?!?

04-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was being nice! I left mullets and heavy gold chains for arrested personalities from NJ driving early Z28 LT1s.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
I was being nice! I left mullets and heavy gold chains for arrested personalities from NJ driving early Z28 LT1s.
dont forget about single/divorced, over 55, and not much hair left.
      04-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
m3lkr
Rep

Quote:
I think you guys are:

1) taking it too far
2) confusing Corvette owners with Mustang owners, no offense.

As far as interior, the C6 interior is far nicer looking than the BMW's. However, the BMW is tighter, noiseless, at least when new.

For anyone to claim different, they have not gotten in a C6.

As far performance, the M3 is on par with the C6, but the C6 has monster torque that cannot be matched that gives a great driving feel, something the M3 really needs. It has super low gearing to make up for a total lack of torque. 4.09 first gear and 3.85 rear. . .

As far as push rods, it works. Ford went the way of OHC and lost all torque. . . I say keep the push rods. It also makes for a lower engine and lower hood line.

Leaf springs? Well, sure coil overs would be cooler, but I don't see the Bimmer hitting over 1g as the Z06 can with it's leaf springs. . .

Anyway, they clearly have different approaches, but that was not the point of the thread. The point has already been answered. M3 is about the same performance as the C6, but has more usefulness and they feel vastly different from one another.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As far as interior, the C6 interior is far nicer looking than the BMW's.
With this statement you have absolutely no say to even remotely debate.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
m3lkr
Rep

Quote:
With this statement you have absolutely no say to even remotely debate.
Let's see:

Carbon fiber console, thick, leather wheel (okay center area although3 spoke, could look nicer), nice feel buttons, nice dash pad material, brushed aluminum accents, 6 nice looking and well lit gauges (vs not enough in the Bimmer).

The Bimmer is flat across (with no nav) and boring looking, just like all road tests say. . . .

I didn't say it was better quality, just that it looks nicer. . .
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
m3lkr
Rep

Quote:
nano rear rotors bother me.
What??

13 inch rear rotors, drilled and vented on the rear of the Z51 and 13.4 inch on the Z06! Nano??
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #17
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
rental car interior kills any good that C6 has.
Standard Vette interior is good. M3 is better. Optional Vette interior is arguably better than the M3. And on a broader note, if interiors are your thing, why aren't you buying Audis and bashing BMW?

Quote:
car would be awesome if rednecks at GM would invest another $3k on interior and fixing panel gaps.
They did invest. See above. Panel gaps? You have me there. It's not a quality issue, though. It's physics (and chemistry).

Quote:
leaf springs also bother me.
Gee, do they bother you the same way MacPherson struts do? If your defense is that the M3 seems to handle really well regardless of the econobox front end, then back at you in regard to the transverse leaf springs on the Vette.

Quote:
pushrod bothers me.
Technology for technology's sake, that's my motto. Never mind that the Vette engine is of a similar size and weight as the engineering marvel in the M3, makes more power and a ton more torque, all the while getting better mileage.

Quote:
chrome wheels bother me.
Me too, actually. My hatred of anything that adds weight while robbing strength, all in the interest of mouth-breather bling, probably exceeds yours. Fortunately, they're optional.

Quote:
5" wheel gaps bothers me.
Got me there. All in all, though, I think the Vette looks a little nicer than the M3. Neither car could be described as an Aston Martin competitor on the styling front, however.

Quote:
nano rear rotors bother me.
The fact that the Z51 Vette has overall better brakes doesn't enter your head? It's how they look? Sheesh.

Quote:
E21 is more advanced.
Snicker.

Hey, if I were getting exhaust blown in my face on either road or track, I'd probably be talking about 8400 rpm and panel gaps too.

And oh, yeah. If you and sayemthree are so concerned about who buys a particular car and how it affects your image, aren't you familiar with some of the things they say about BMW owners?

Geez. Anybody who buys a car based on what others think of your image has some serious self-esteem issues.

Bruce

Edit: PS - You forgot about those stupid runflats on the Vette. No argument on that. If it had PS2s or whatever it would run harder while riding better. Same as the 335. I assume the current M3 has the same fix-a-flat kit that our old E46 had. That works for me, and is a more satisfactory solution than runflats.

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 04-07-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #18
m3lkr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Standard Vette interior is good. M3 is better. Optional Vette interior is arguably better than the M3. And on a broader note, if interiors are your thing, why aren't you buying Audis and bashing BMW?

They did invest. See above. Panel gaps? You have me there. It's not a quality issue, though. It's physics (and chemistry).

Gee, do they bother you the same way MacPherson struts do? If your defense is that the M3 seems to handle really well regardless of the econobox front end, then back at you in regard to the transverse leaf springs on the Vette.

Technology for technology's sake, that's my motto. Never mind that the Vette engine is of a similar size and weight as the engineering marvel in the M3, makes more power and a ton more torque, all the while getting better mileage.

Me too. My hatred of anything that adds weight while robbing strength, all in the interest of mouth-breather bling, probably exceeds yours. Fortunately, they're optional.

Got me there. All in all, though, I think the Vette looks a little nicer than the M3. Neither car could be desribed as an Aston Martin competitor on the styling front, however.

The fact that the Z51 Vette has overall better brakes doesn't enter your head? It's how they look? Sheesh.

Snicker.

Hey, if I were getting exhaust blown in my face on either road or track, I'd probably be talking about 8400 rpm and panel gaps too.

And oh, yeah. If you and sayemthree are so concerned about who buys a particular car and how it affects your image, aren't you familiar with some of the things they say about BMW owners?

Geez. Anybody who buys a car based on what others think of your image has some serious self-esteem issues.

Bruce

Amen
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #19
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think there was a debate about the C6 being the better performance car. I have read stock C6 with 120 mph in the 1/4 mile.

also a stock C6 is quicker on the Ring time run-flats and all. I just assume equal tires would only help the C6.

I don't mean the M3 is slow, but just it's not as quick as the Vette. Maybe the DCT will tilt the balance in favor of the M3. Either way they have similar performance but the Vette does cost $20K less.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
m3lkr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I don't think there was a debate about the C6 being the better performance car. I have read stock C6 with 120 mph in the 1/4 mile.

also a stock C6 is quicker on the Ring time run-flats and all. I just assume equal tires would only help the C6.

I don't mean the M3 is slow, but just it's not as quick as the Vette. Maybe the DCT will tilt the balance in favor of the M3. Either way they have similar performance but the Vette does cost $20K less.
So in conclusion, if you want a pupose built sports car, buy a C6, if you need more than 2 seats buy an M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #21
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lkr View Post
What??

13 inch rear rotors, drilled and vented on the rear of the Z51 and 13.4 inch on the Z06! Nano??
have you seen the size of biting surface area? it is VERY small!

Quote:
wide panel are the epitome of cheapness, regardless of intentions.

Quote:
macpherson is front. compare apple for apple. multilink>any leaf spring. fact that GMs truck line uses the same suspension (oh, wait it is transverse boo hoo) bothers me, even though c6 does well on the track. i will not go into jarring ride and boat feeling. It is incomparable(as in worse) to multilink in terms of off-track handling.

Quote:
Me too, actually. My hatred of anything that adds weight while robbing strength, all in the interest of mouth-breather bling, probably exceeds yours. Fortunately, they're optional.

I concur. Whats questionable to me is GM's dedication in building a purpose build performance car. C6 is a a sports car by definition, M3 is not, yet by offering chrome bling on such car speaks volume of company's dedication to performance. Corvette is not chevy's bread and butter, so why are they trying to reach population that is not in performance.

Quote:
Got me there. All in all, though, I think the Vette looks a little nicer than the M3. Neither car could be described as an Aston Martin competitor on the styling front, however.
Vette chassis is attractive (minus panel gaps), but M3 looks and feels like money from outside and inside. Vette has grown, but it is still playing catchup. It is difficult to discuss taste, but mine is obviously on M3 side.

Quote:
How does Z51 have better brakes than M3? M3 stops in shorter distance while carrying some 400lb more? I also like pretty brakes.

Quote:

I drive an M3 and will continue to drive one, not because it is the fastest or best looking car, but because it is the best jack of all trades. The fact that it almost beats a so-called purpose built car such as corvette at its own game is just another plus. Corvette is marginally better on track in terms of time, but vastly inferior in terms of feel and driver's comfort near and at limit. Stuff the same 305 (or whatever it is now) under M3, make it lose some weight and it will be just as competitive if not more.

Judging by extrovertness of vette's look and the size of the engine, I think the low self-esteem guy will pick a vette on any given day. In comparison to vette, M3 is humble car by any definition.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Quote:
Judging by extrovertness of vette's look and the size of the engine, I think the low self-esteem guy will pick a vette on any given day
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0