E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OEM Roof Rack + Inno Wind Fairing = Solution

11-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

OEM Roof Rack + Inno Wind Fairing = Solution

Like many of the forum members trying to find a wind fairing that fits on the OEM roof rack. There was a DIY on another forum to drill into the bottom of the roof rack. That was not an option for me. Another option was using Thule wind fairing that basically clipped onto the grooves of the OEM Rack. That did not look secure to me.

I think I have found the solution to the problem. I had purchased the Inno wind fairing INA 271 40 (Medium) - Carbon Fiber look. As you will notice the clip does wrap around the OEM bar BUT the screws that came with it are not long enough. I purchased long screws and washers (local hardware store) for the front section and the back section I was able to use two of the screws that came with it. It's not that pretty when looking from the back but it does hold the wind faring. You could try to find black screws or paint them black. I hope this solves some of the wind fairing issue. FYI the Inno sticker can be removed. I am looking for some BMW sticker to add on the wind fairing. Here are some photos.

2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Do you happen to know the bolt sizes?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
Do you happen to know the bolt sizes?

I do not recall but it was differently longer than the bolts that came with the fairing. Just bring in the bolt to the hardware store and make sure it's couple of inches longer. You can get away with the stock bolts for the corners but you will need the longer one for the center. Hope that helps.

FYI - I just notice Photobucket pics are up again! Interesting.
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I am curious on why others purchased a fairing for your roof racks. I did run a Thule for a while but recorded a loss of 2-3mpg when using the fairing vs using just the factory rack (with a single bike on it). My reason was to reduce drag but with my testing it did the opposite. I did get a slight reduction of wind noise though.
Reasons I could think to use a fairing are,
Fuel saving (didn’t work)
Noise reduction (worked but not worth the cost)
Look cool? Lol
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

yea, i had the inno on my car yesterday for a trip from pgh to cleveland and back. lost about 5mpg, sending the damn thing back to amazon and will just run without a fairing. i haven't noticed any noise.

I also couldn't get the inno fairing to rest on the roof of the car correctly. the center two feet were about an inch above the roof and it would rattle.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
I am curious on why others purchased a fairing for your roof racks. I did run a Thule for a while but recorded a loss of 2-3mpg when using the fairing vs using just the factory rack (with a single bike on it). My reason was to reduce drag but with my testing it did the opposite. I did get a slight reduction of wind noise though.
Reasons I could think to use a fairing are,
Fuel saving (didn’t work)
Noise reduction (worked but not worth the cost)
Look cool? Lol
I think lot of looking cool because the whispbar is excellent and has had basically zero effect or noise on my wagon when not laden (and the little foil isnt going to change anything with a kayak on it).
Appreciate 0