E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DIY inner blackline tail-lights?

02-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
thunderbirdsarego
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Question DIY inner blackline tail-lights?

Hi,

So, I've decided I like the darker inner white lens on the blackline tail-lights. I like the way it decreases the contrast between the white of the "clear" lens and the rest of the car body on the inner light (at least on black and SG cars). It de-accentuates the strange tail look and is more subtle. I think it is potentially a cheap fix to what in my eyes is a slightly awkward butt.

However, I don't want to change the outer lens to white. Which means I really only need half a blackline taillight. Or not.

You see, I was wondering would it be possible to get the blackline effect on the existing inner tail lights? If the unit is not sealed, could one go inside and apply matt black paint or tape or something in a few areas to get the same look?

Anyone that has seen the blackline tail lights in person, could you comment on how the effect is achieved? I understand that they do not use smoked glass but are applying a dark finish just to specific areas of the lens and/or reflector? Is this correct?

Tx in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
the housing inside is black, whick makes it look black. it wont be possible to do half, because when you order the kit, it comes all 4 piece together.
Appreciate 0