E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Possible transmission failure?

10-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

Possible transmission failure?

I have a 2011 328i sedan. I have 81k miles on it right now and had the transmission fluid and filter changed around 68k. It feels like the car is taking a little longer to shift and like 2nd to 3rd isn't as super smooth as 3rd to 4th.

Is my transmission failing already? I do drive it hard sometimes, but nothing crazy like tracking it. I'm still under CPO warranty but theres no codes being thrown.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

If it is still under CPO warranty there is no reason not to take it to BMW for inspection. The E90 328 slush box is a sloppy shifter. There are kits from Dinan and other which some forum members say help a lot. The shifting should not significantly change over time, so I would have your BMW shop look at it.
      10-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
If it is still under CPO warranty there is no reason not to take it to BMW for inspection. The E90 328 slush box is a sloppy shifter. There are kits from Dinan and other which some forum members say help a lot. The shifting should not significantly change over time, so I would have your BMW shop look at it.
Hmm, seems like its sloppier than usual. I should mention that the weather just got really cold here. Also, the iDrive was replaced at the dealer and they reset all of my codings. The shop paperwork from the dealer said it was taken on a drive to reset adaptations. I'm wondering if the transmission was reset as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridenttube View Post
Hmm, seems like its sloppier than usual. I should mention that the weather just got really cold here. Also, the iDrive was replaced at the dealer and they reset all of my codings. The shop paperwork from the dealer said it was taken on a drive to reset adaptations. I'm wondering if the transmission was reset as well?
Probably, and it might take up to 500 miles to readapt. This is what I was told when I last had the transmission software updated for the same problem. Turned out after months of research, it was a dirty MAF sensor. I cleaned it thoroughly and immediately the shifts are now smooth as butter.
Appreciate 0