THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Front Parking Sensors / Camera

10-21-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
barfastic
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport Pack

Garage List
Front Parking Sensors / Camera

Hello guys,

I recently ordered a front splitter, and im planning on lowering my car in the near future.

But the thought of sidewalks and low obstacles in the front of the car are freaking me out.

I only have the rear parking sensors installed, and i was wondering if you could install front sensors afterwards, and or even better the surround view?

And then i asked myself, even if i do install these, will the sensors be able to pick up a sidewalk/curb? Anyone with front parking sensors please feel free to chime in!

TIA,

M
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
doesn't work depending on the height of the curb. Normal curbs doesn't work. High curbs it does to some extent. I just pulled into a spot and activated the parking sensors and it started to at first, but then stopped. I got out and looked and I had about a foot and a half left still so just pulled up more and checked again unfortunately. Some curbs I can do it, others I can't. Why I typically try not to park in directional spots where I can't back in.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

With the stock front sensors I have had success at detecting parking curbs with the following technique (YMMV): As you are driving down the parking lot turn on the parking sensors and camera (it is the button with the letter P at the bottom of the console stack)

This gives the ultrasonic system a few seconds to boot up with no obstacles in its path to mess up the boot process. Then slowly pull into the parking space perpendicular to the parking curb (not at even at a slight angle!!). The detection system will begin to flicker yellow as you approach the parking curb from about 3 feet away, the first time you see a tiny bit of red flicker stop, you are usually around 1 foot from the parking curb. If the yellow flickering suddenly stops you have gone past the minimum detection range (Stop!)
If there is no flickering as you are approaching the parking curb from 3 feet away the system can not detect the parking curb so you need to pull in manually. If the system is on solid as you approach, it is detecting something else like shrubbery, a wall, or another car. This technique only works on smooth level parking lots with cement parking curbs.

Now for a retrofit system, I have used a Curb Alert on my other cars. The only problem is the detection field of view is limited since there is only one sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
DMB228
Rep
Drives: 228xi

If you are pulling into a spot and there is a car already parked on the driver's side you can look at the reflection on the side of the other car to see if you are getting close as well. Obviously this only works during the day but I do it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB228 View Post
If you are pulling into a spot and there is a car already parked on the driver's side you can look at the reflection on the side of the other car to see if you are getting close as well. Obviously this only works during the day but I do it all the time.
And if the other car's clean
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

I bought this https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...amera-retrofit

My car comes in around the new year. So I can't say how it is yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek
I bought this https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...amera-retrofit

My car comes in around the new year. So I can't say how it is yet.
My 2015 X3 has a front camera. It's pretty much useless especially for what you've described (entering laneway/curb). The field of view is so wide you can't really make out what's directly in front of the car (like a curb).
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
My 2015 X3 has a front camera. It's pretty much useless especially for what you've described (entering laneway/curb). The field of view is so wide you can't really make out what's directly in front of the car (like a curb).
I plan on machining a custom mount so I can situate the camera to give me the optimal angle. Regardless of how wide the lens is, as long as the angle is sufficient there shouldn't be any issues avoiding parking blocks and curbs.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50