Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Having issues with VMR V710 and Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Having issues with VMR V710 and Tires

My car has 19" VMR v710 wheels.

Front: 8.5
Tires: 235/35/19

Rear: 9.5
Tires: 265/30/19

I just had all 4 wheels powder coated metallic black. The shop who did the powder coat put the tires back on. I then bought new tires for the front and had a different shop change them. The reason I went with a different shop is because I was recommended to them by the powder coat guy. The new shop scratched the powder coat and also messed up the lip the the wheels.

I am trying to see if anyone has had issues mounting these size tires on these wheels. Since they got messed up, the shop is paying powder coater to redo them but I am trying to find any tricks that might make this easier to go on.

View post on imgur.com

The red circle in the center shows where they tightned down a wheel balance tool without using any protector. The red on the lip shows where the pressure of the plastic fork messed up. Its basically no longer glossy, has a rough feeling, and even turned a little white.

Anyone got some tips for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

The same thing happened to me except mine are not powder coated. I have the same size. Every shop except for one that I have taken my wheels for tire changes have damaged the lip on my VMR wheels. And every single shop has said the same thing: 30 series tires are hard to work with. Frustrating to say the least. The one shop that didn't damage my wheel was very careful but only because the shop has a lot of experience mounting 30 and 35 series tires.

That or the quality of VMR wheels isn't as good. Hehe. I think it really depends on the person working on your wheel. Most are in a hurry so they'll damage the wheel if they don't slow down and take their time. I was also told that there are specific machines designed to carefully mount/dismount 30 series, usually the newer machines, but I never verified.

It sucks but what can you do? No matter how careful you tell the techs to be, something will always happen. And once the damage is done you can't do much except try to get the wheel replaced on them depending on the damage (this happened to me once already). My next set of wheels probably won't be VMR.
      10-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

The shop I usually go to for alignments and tire mounting has no trouble mounting them. There is one discount tire location nearby that I trust to mount tires on my 19" wheels. Other locations I would avoid at all costs. I've also had tires mounted at a Sears tire shop. They were about to close so there were no other customers. The tire guy was really careful and didn't leave a scratch. You just have to find someone that knows what they are doing. If the powdercoater mounted them before with no issue I would ask him to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:29 AM   #4
pysical
Captain
Rep

Powder coater and tire guy is saying since they are new tires he might rip them getting them off, and he will probably scratch them up again when putting them on.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysical View Post
Powder coater and tire guy is saying since they are new tires he might rip them getting them off, and he will probably scratch them up again when putting them on.
You need to find a new tire installer.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #6
pysical
Captain
Rep

Well turns out the tire place wants to make the wheels right. He said he doesn't want to pay me money because he feels like I am just settling with the scratched wheels. So he is willing to pay to have them fixed. I am moving in about 2 weeks and I have quotes to re powder coat them. I was quoted 850 for 4, so its going to be much more expensive. I talked to a dealership down here that handles "exotic" cars such as Lambo's, Ferrari's, etc and asked them where they take the wheels/tires they need mounted and referred me to a place. I called them up and turns out they won't touch anything this guy has powder coated because the powder he uses is complete junk. So I am going to get some compound and buff out the scratches and make due with what I have.
Appreciate 0