E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil smoke from under the hood

10-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
malgyver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Oil smoke from under the hood

Hi all,

In the past month or so, I've been having puffs of smoke come from under the hood when I'm stopped at a light. Seems to be most obvious after I get off the freeway, but probably because I don't do much around town driving.

I replaced the Valve Cover Gasket, and there was no difference in the smoking. I have visualized the perimeter of the cover since I changed it, and its still clean.

I put the car up on ramps, and tried to poke around underneath with the bottom panel off, and its really hard to see very much under there.

I DID, however, see what is probably repeated drops of oil dripping from the front turbo V-Clamp. I couldn't find a spot on the pipes that looked like burnt oil, though.

I am ready to replace the Oil Filter Housing gasket, which is clearly leaking, but I wanted to go ahead and post the question here to see if there is any wisdom about this, because I have my doubts that the OFHG would result in oil dripping onto the manifold/downpipe. I was also resigned to replace the turbos, but since they still push hard, I figured I would try to more closely diagnose the smoking issue before diving in to replace parts.

I tried my hardest when I was under the car to inspect the whole exhaust manifold/downpipe area, but it was very tight and I could hardly see anything.

2008 335i, DPs, 120K miles, I believe original turbos that have a good rattle but still push 15 psi, loses a good bit of oil, but none on the ground.

Thanks for any insight!!
      10-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm guessing your valve cover is cracked. I once had smoke come from under the hood and my valve cover was cracked.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
malgyver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Thanks for the reply. I did inspect it closely when I replaced the gasket recently. Unless it can leak from a hairline crack, I think I ruled out a cracked cover.

I will, however, take a close look again for signs of fresh oil around the cover.

Any other thoughts?
      10-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgyver View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did inspect it closely when I replaced the gasket recently. Unless it can leak from a hairline crack, I think I ruled out a cracked cover.

I will, however, take a close look again for signs of fresh oil around the cover.

Any other thoughts?
Some have reported cracks that are hard to spot, even with the valve cover removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

The gasket could potentially be installed incorrectly. If you cleaned around the plugs and injectors when installing the gasket I would look for freshly pooled oil. This to me would be a sign that there's a crack.

One other possibility is the seal on the oil fill cap has degraded.
Appreciate 0