E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Passenger Seat Occupancy Mat

10-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Passenger Seat Occupancy Mat

I recently experienced the warning lights indicating that my passenger seat occupancy mat failed. After unsuccessfully getting BMW to do a warranty repair on it, I decided to install a passenger seat airbag bypass instead of replacing the mat. After completing the installation, I took my car to an Indy to clear the fault codes. He used a generic code reader and said the airbag and seatbelt warning lights were still on due to code 93D7- Internal Control Unit Fault. After the bypass was installed, I no longer have the Pass Seat Airbag Off light on. So I'm not sure if I troubleshot the correct fault or if I have a separate issue. Right now I'm in the process of purchasing a code reader made for BMWs and hope that I will be able to clear the faults using it. Has anyone else had a similar experience resolving this problem or know what the fault could be? If so, do you have any advice? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I had a faulty passenger seat sensor in my 2011...at times it would show that someone was in the seat but the warning light that the airbag was not active would appear. It simply thought it was inapprorpriate to arm the airbag (e.g. 'child in seat' -- even when passenger was an adult)

Other times, when the car was hot inside (parked in the sun) the airbag light inactive would light up even if the seat was empty. But there was no fault stored per se.

The seat mat/cover was felt to have become defective due to it having shrunk. I do know that the dealer had to CODE for the airbag replacement....
"performed complete vehicle encoding programming with CAS, DC: D6577 MRS00000 90 211"
While you did not replace the sensor, you did do a bypass...maybe some coding is needed?!

In my case, the sensor replacement work was covered under CPO warranty (car put into service 10/2010, work done on pad 7/2015)

Last edited by Wilt; 10-12-2016 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0