E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help, do car washes damage the car?

10-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
HOVAMic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Help, do car washes damage the car?

Hello people, I am new to this forum and I just need some info on car washing. I have a 09 e92 that was bought around 8 months ago. Everything's a beauty and no problems whatsoever. During time I do like to keep the car clean as it does look like something luxurious (space gray color makes it look classy ya know?). I've read here before that taking your car to an automatic car wash was not a good idea, which I did before researching twice. I always felt like something was scratched but it could just be over reacting. I decided last month to take it to a hand car wash. When I got there I did see a a Porsche Carerra S being washed so of course I immediately trust the guys. Let me tell you for 20$ they did an amazing job and I couldn't have been any happier. Recently an event I went to had a white dirt road that threw dust all around, my car was a mess and looked like the 2000s kind. I decided to just wash the outside to the same place, but for some reason I noticed that on all four rims the emblems looked like they were being scratched off. Before I paid close attention to what the guys were using, some liquid on a bottle only used for rims and a towel to wipe. I felt like they didn't do anything but I could swear this wasn't there before.

What I want to know is, could this be the fault of the guys washing or was this just caused naturally by driving around?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I don't understand your statement; what exactly happened to the car?

I don't trust any hand wash place after a very reputable one scratched my car and my buddy's M5. Soft-touch automatic or touchless washes are your safest bet if you cannot wash the car yourself.
      10-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
The emblems do wear after some time. I don't think there is any way that a single car wash could have caused it. They would have had to use something abrasive to cause it. The emblems are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. It is usually very hard to get a car wash to admit that they damaged your car and they will almost never pay for any damage. I only go to touchless car washes or I hand wash myself. I do not trust anyone for any reason to hand wash my cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
HOVAMic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
I don't understand your statement; what exactly happened to the car?

I don't trust any hand wash place after a very reputable one scratched my car and my buddy's M5. Soft-touch automatic or touchless washes are your safest bet if you cannot wash the car yourself.
I tried to attach a photo but I'm on mobile. Basically on the rims where the "BMW" logo is is peeling or scratched. Not sure how to describe it but it's like the emblem is scratched up. Btw sorry to hear that about your car and your friends, I'm honestly in fear that's gonna happen which not sure if it did.

I'm just being scepticle wether to take the car into a hand wash or not too.

Okay so then a touch less car wash? I didn't see any issues with the paint though just the rim emblems. And they can be replaceble? Not the rims but just the emblems?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
Yes, the emblems themselves can be replaced. The easiest way to get them out is to take the rim off and push them out from the other side. You can also, and do this at your own risk, use a small flat blade screwdriver and go in between the emblem and the rim and very gently pry them out. Again do this at your own risk so that you do not scratch the rim. You can get the emblems from bmw, ebay, Amazon and many other places. There are different sizes so the best thing to do is go to realoem.com and get the part number and Google search that part number.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
HOVAMic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330i View Post
Yes, the emblems themselves can be replaced. The easiest way to get them out is to take the rim off and push them out from the other side. You can also, and do this at your own risk, use a small flat blade screwdriver and go in between the emblem and the rim and very gently pry them out. Again do this at your own risk so that you do not scratch the rim. You can get the emblems from bmw, ebay, Amazon and many other places. There are different sizes so the best thing to do is go to realoem.com and get the part number and Google search that part number.
Wow what a life saver! I will do that once it really starts to fade. Do I just search up "wheel emblems" along with the model I have? And just in case it is too risky I'm sure a mechanic is capable of doing it? I'm just concerned now that you say that one error and my rims will be ruined
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
You can use realoem.com, it is the bmw parts catalog, it will give you the bmw part numbers of any and all parts in your car, you put the last 7 of your vin and search for the wheel emblems. Once you get the part number, you can just put the part number in a Google search and several different vendors will come up in the search, pick the vendor you like and order. You can also go to your local dealer and order from them. The paint on the rims are very tough and it is actually kinda hard to mess them up unless you get really careless. A scratch won't ruin a rim but it will definitely be upsetting if you do scratch it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

those high pressure touchless car washes are pretty good at stripping your wax. i never use them. in the winter i use ONR in my garage with hot water.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
HOVAMic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You can use realoem.com, it is the bmw parts catalog, it will give you the bmw part numbers of any and all parts in your car, you put the last 7 of your vin and search for the wheel emblems. Once you get the part number, you can just put the part number in a Google search and several different vendors will come up in the search, pick the vendor you like and order. You can also go to your local dealer and order from them. The paint on the rims are very tough and it is actually kinda hard to mess them up unless you get really careless. A scratch won't ruin a rim but it will definitely be upsetting if you do scratch it.
Alright thank you man. I did search and you're right these prices are very low.
I guess I should start hand washing my own car now!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

It's always best to wash it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOVAMic View Post
Alright thank you man. I did search and you're right these prices are very low.
I guess I should start hand washing my own car now!
Use a couple of buckets so you can properly rinse the micro-fiber rag so you don't rub any abrasives into your paint. If you cannot wash it yourself, ask around and find the best detailing guy in your area. You don't have to pay for a full detail every time, but they also do basic washing and more detailed when you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:
I have a Garmin nav windshield mount with a suction cup that pulls off the center caps easily without having to remove the wheel. Other windshield mounts might work as well.
      10-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I do it myself.
hose
2 buckets
some good car soap
2 microfiber mitts
3 Viking microfiber towels
a whole bunch of regular microfiber towels

I can get a proper outside wash and dry in about 40min.

Can't beat the peace of mind you get when you do it yourself.. NO one will love your car as much as you do.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

My uncle sets up car washes and he thinks so. Told me to never wash a car I really like except by hand, or just use the spray.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Time and use damage the car....and yup auto car washes do scratch and wear the clear coat out.
As posted above...handwash with proper methods or touch less are much better for OCD car perfection.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
HOVAMic
Enlisted Member
Rep

I can't tell whether the paint on my car is scratched and such only by bottom bumpers but it's whatever people don't even look at it. I'm super cautious however and even the rain is quite upsetting. I especially hate it when bird poop falls on the car even when I head to work. The next time I'll do a mayor wash will by my self for sure. I was only worried the emblems on the rim would be scratched out and I thought the only solution is to actually buy another set of rims. (Yea that was dumb of me to think that)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
HOVAMic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Plus you already know you need a product in a bottle and wheel whoolies(?) to clean rims, I don't think the car washers was at fault I'm probably just being a bit paranoid now that I think of it
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
I would go to the detailers forum on the E90 area. The is a lot you can learn. Detailers Image post a lot of 'how to' videos. I have a vert and can't use a power wash in case I mess up the seals.... that said I enjoy washing my cars!! There's a lot of detail on using microfiber clothes and 2 buckets... so you don't scratch your car with dirt you just wiped off!

Bavauto.com has a lot of replacement items too. Well worth a look.

Good luck, sorry for the damage, hope it is an easy fix.
      10-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #18
HOVAMic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post
I would go to the detailers forum on the E90 area. The is a lot you can learn. Detailers Image post a lot of 'how to' videos. I have a vert and can't use a power wash in case I mess up the seals.... that said I enjoy washing my cars!! There's a lot of detail on using microfiber clothes and 2 buckets... so you don't scratch your car with dirt you just wiped off!

Bavauto.com has a lot of replacement items too. Well worth a look.

Good luck, sorry for the damage, hope it is an easy fix.

Yes I just joined the forum and will look into that! Thankfully based on what was said it should be quite an easy fix, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOVAMic View Post
Yes I just joined the forum and will look into that! Thankfully based on what was said it should be quite an easy fix, thanks!
I've learnt a lot more already- just got a foam gun.... makes cleaning easier... and more fun!
      10-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #20
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Get this stuff for the wheels. You put it in a sprayer bottle from Home Depot or elsewhere, mix it with water, so this will last for years. It knocks 90% of the wheel dirt off before you even start wiping. Need to rinse the sprayer out after each use as it will clog sprayers if you don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D140...+wheel+cleaner
      10-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #21
tibfibber
Rep
Drives: 2008 e91 Montego Blue Touring

we just had a long discussion about microfiber cloths on another forum, how they're not all created equal. I normally find the Costco bulk packs to be fine but the clear favorite were these:

http://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-e...rofiber-towel/
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:22 AM   #22
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOVAMic
Hello people, I am new to this forum and I just need some info on car washing. I have a 09 e92 that was bought around 8 months ago. Everything's a beauty and no problems whatsoever. During time I do like to keep the car clean as it does look like something luxurious (space gray color makes it look classy ya know?). I've read here before that taking your car to an automatic car wash was not a good idea, which I did before researching twice. I always felt like something was scratched but it could just be over reacting. I decided last month to take it to a hand car wash. When I got there I did see a a Porsche Carerra S being washed so of course I immediately trust the guys. Let me tell you for 20$ they did an amazing job and I couldn't have been any happier. Recently an event I went to had a white dirt road that threw dust all around, my car was a mess and looked like the 2000s kind. I decided to just wash the outside to the same place, but for some reason I noticed that on all four rims the emblems looked like they were being scratched off. Before I paid close attention to what the guys were using, some liquid on a bottle only used for rims and a towel to wipe. I felt like they didn't do anything but I could swear this wasn't there before.

What I want to know is, could this be the fault of the guys washing or was this just caused naturally by driving around?
Go touch-less; you should be fine
Appreciate 0