E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Installing LED's into M3 Rep Projector Fogs, anybody done it?

10-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Installing LED's into M3 Rep Projector Fogs, anybody done it?

Ok so my M3 rep projector bulbs sucked so I bought some LED's for them but they aren't exactly plug and play..

When you remove the two screws from the back of the housing, and continue to remove the housing itself to remove the bulb, there is a metal U shaped prong in there that connects to the negative/ground wire and rests against the bulb itself to act as a ground.. Well the LED's I'm trying to put in don't fit between that U shaped prong and I'm wondering if I can modify the inside of that black cap/housing to make them work?

Has anybody done this before? This is the black cap that I'm referring to removing on the back of the housing..

The black housing with the 2 screws and the wire harness is what I'm referring to, and I don't have any pics of the inside of that housing yet to show what's in there, but I'm trying to paint a mental picture to assist with understanding a bit easier..

I'll snap some pics this weekend when I get in there, but just figured I'd proactively ask to see if anyone else has done this..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Let's try one more..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Deluxx3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Ehh, wish I could help. All I can do is give you this free bump.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Thanks bro..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #6
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Remove one of your fog lights and modify the bulb and/or fog light to fit.

Your foglight's take what style bulb? H8?

Post pictures of bulb mounting area with stock bulb in & out. You can get pics from the wheel wells if you don't want to remove the fogs. I don't have these fog lights so I'm not sure what they look like and the provided pic doesn't rly help much.

Something to think about...I installed a regular 35w HID Kit w/H8 style bulbs in my stock fogs and they're awesomee. They look great with 5k color bulbs and are extremely useful. LED bulbs will look good, but you will basically lose the fogs as a real source of usable light if that makes sense....

They light up the road more than my headlights can lol. But its also time for a new set of quality main xenon bulbs. D1S
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post

Post pictures of bulb mounting area with stock bulb in & out. You can get pics from the wheel wells if you don't want to remove the fogs. I don't have these fog lights so I'm not sure what they look like and the provided pic doesn't rly help much.

Something to think about...I installed a regular 35w HID Kit w/H8 style bulbs in my stock fogs and they're awesomee. They look great with 5k color bulbs and are extremely useful. LED bulbs will look good, but you will basically lose the fogs as a real source of usable light if that makes sense....

They light up the road more than my headlights can lol. But its also time for a new set of quality main xenon bulbs. D1S
I actually thought about going with HID's in the fogs but I have the M3 Rep that came with projectors and I wasn't sure if they would look good lol..

I'm going to dive into it this weekend and I'll post up some better quality pics of what I'm describing so it makes more sense..

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post

I actually thought about going with HID's in the fogs but I have the M3 Rep that came with projectors and I wasn't sure if they would look good lol..

I'm going to dive into it this weekend and I'll post up some better quality pics of what I'm describing so it makes more sense..

Thanks for your input!
I went HID's in this same configuration years ago and been great. Way dim with typical/OEM halogen, and yellow of course. Good luck!
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Projector fog lights will make the HID's even better. More efficient.

I would say go with a 35 watt HID kit, you can probably run a 55w kit, but then you'd have to test them and make sure heat isn't an issue. Not worth the trouble for fogs in my opinion..

35W Hid Kit w/5000K Bulbs. Perfect setup.

6000k is slightly blue, but the projectors will make them almost appear like a "5700K" bulb(slightly less blue) as opposed to my setup. Which are the oem pre-lci E92 fog lights. Which are reflector housing fogs. That together with 6000K bulb, which make them look visually from the outside of the car, too blue for me.

They're too much of a blue shade difference between the stock xenon bulbs. And just overall too blue for my taste.

Now from inside the car driving, my fogs lights are so good it makes a huge difference when i put them on. The "blu-ish white" light color, almost seems to be more helpful for seeing road damage/potholes. But I'm going to eventually switch my hid fog light bulbs out for 5000K bulbs and try that.

Im also going to get the Morimoto D1S xB xenon(hid) bulbs in 5500K version for the main beam projectors.

I know a lot of people that run the Morimoto xB bulbs and i also personally put them in my brother's E60 and they're 5 times better than the stock low/high beam bulbs. He's had them for about 3 years now with no problems..

Same story as anyone else ive ever talked too..

A good "budget" level but quality HID kit for the fogs would be the HID kits sold by DDM Tuning. Prob bought about a dozen sets so far including the fogs on my E92. Lifetime warranty. $45 after shipping's added on their website. Also either get a relay harness, a code eliminator harness, or have the coded to deal with Bulb errors of just PnP w/ no add on adapters to get around this.. coding's easy though

For main beams look at TheRetrofitSource dot com. They have the best quality and anything hid related with a great site and excellent customer service. There's also well priced budget minded quality bulbs and kits there too.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Thanks brother, nice bit of info there..!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Thanks brother, nice bit of info there..!
If I remember right my projector fogs for my M3 bumper were 9006, but it was a long time but I do recall going 35W.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0