XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
DallasBeemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i Vermillion Red

Test drove it!

This morning I got a call from my dealer (Classic BMW in Dallas) that the BMW Zone Manager was out of town for a few days and left his company car, an X6 35i, at the dealership for viewing and test driving for serious buyers. Clearly, I'm a serious buyer since I have one on order, so I went down and looked at it and drove it. In person, it's as good looking as I've read - much better looking than the pictures show. The drive is unbelievable. The twin turbo 6 has plenty of acceleration - much faster than I remembered the 4.4 V-8 X5 that I drove a couple of years ago. In fact, I currently drive an Infiniti M45 with a 330 hp V-8 and the X6 35i with its twin turbo 6 cyclinder is not noticeably slower. I punched it from about 30 mph and again from about 10 mphs. You could really feel the power without any turbo lag. This tester I got to drive is Obsidian black, Oyster Nevada leather interior, with the Sport package and 20 inch Y-spoke wheels. It also had the running boards, which I don't like on this vehicle. It rides like a BMW - you feel the road, but not overly bumpy.

The cargo area was not as spacious as I was anticipating, but it's still big enough for a few golf bags - BMW claims 4 bags, and that looks about right. I'm 6 feet tall, and sat in the back seat with no issues at all with headroom. Leg room and shoulder room were more than adequate in both front and back seats. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Overall fit and finish was fantastic. The round chrome tailpipes on the 35i looked rather smallish in the pictures on the web and were a bit of a concern to me, but in person they look very big and robust. I personally prefer the rectangular tailpipes on the 50i, but the delayed production on that model keeps me on the 35i. Besides, after test driving it and realizing the increasing cost of gasoline, the 35i is all the car you need, even when you have to accelerate hard to get on the Dallas freeways. With that said, I still would have liked to drive both to compare and then make a choice.

The X6 is one really unique car, and while BMW has been widely criticized for recent designs, I think they got this one right. It looks like more of a coupe/sedan, but you sit up high for increased visibility. My entire family prefers riding in my wife's Lexus RX400h for this reason, and this car gives you that benefit, while providing more sportiness. If you haven't seen it in person, you can't really judge the design. The pictures give you a good indication, but it really does look a lot better in person. The black model looked great. I almost ordered that color, but instead I ordered the Vermillion red metallic. I'm hoping that color looks as good in person as everyone seems to be saying. Bottom line, I really liked it after seeing it and driving it, and can't wait for mine to get here. Production is scheduled within the next 2 weeks, and I'm still number 1 on my dealer's list.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

DallasBeemer, Awesome review!!! I appreciate you taking time to write it up. I'm envious and jealous of you at the same time!!!!???? Someone on another X6 Forum said the X6 info was getting slow and in a lull.I said wait until people either get their order and /or test drive at the dealership and things will pick up.I'm glad your up close and personal visit w/ the X6 made you feel good about your initial reasons for ordering.I know people get sick of me saying this,but an interaction w/ the X6 in the metal is so different than all the pic's. It's hard to describe why the pic's and the real thing are so different,but they are.I saw what I think was a diesel X5 on the PC Track this week.I need to get the vids posted.I was watching the X5 vid and some of the X6 vids back to back.I've got to be careful here because I know alot of people on this site are huge X5 fans.It is a wonderful SUV,I almost got one before going w/ my X3.But the visual difference in watching the X5 go around the PC track and the X6 was almost hard to believe.Their speeds were probably about the same,based on the time of the vids on my camera.But,the X6 looked like it was going twice as fast as the X5.It's that X6 design.The X5 looked like a truck going around the track( no offense intended to X5 owners!) and the X6 looked like a Sports Car.I think that was the effect BMW was after.Congrats on your purchase and drive!!! Thanks.PalBay

Last edited by Palbay; 04-02-2008 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

nice job

Nice job guys, esp you palbay I have enjoyed you sleuthing pics and vids. Your pics of the TiAg x6 shopping convinced me to get one. Now If i can just get a dealer here in San Diego to return a phone call or an e-mail then I will put in my order. I know how slow their business is, so you would think they would get back to me. Maybe asking for a 3% discount has them afraid to talk to me. You would think they would want to negotiate with someone who has had 3 bimmers and just got a new e93 last year and is willing to place the order today. Do you know of anyone in San Diego who wants my business? The dealer by my house doesn't seem to. Cheap
      04-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
DallasBeemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i Vermillion Red

Cheap Trick - I couldn't get them to negotiate anything off of the base price, but as previously posted in the pricing thread they did throw in a little over $2K worth of options at no charge - Siruis radio, comfort access, and automatic tailgate. All together, this is well over 3%. Just like you, they would not negotiate at all over the phone. It took a visit, and a discussion on BMW loyalty to get them to move on the pricing. I previously had issues with this dealer when I was ready to turn in my 330ci. I didn't like the way I was handled, even though I was willing and able to buy a 4.4 X5, and instead with an Infiniti. I told them of these issues, and that's when they came back with the options thrown in at no additional charge. All in all, a very positive experience this time around.
I also had problems communicating via e-mail, but my dealer's website lists all of their salespeople's e-mail address, and I went right to the sales director. I did get rather prompt responses after this.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Matt The Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Boxster S

That's exciting! Thanks for the write up. I haven't even seen one let alone driven one.

Let the wait begin.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

X6 Pics and Vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
Nice job guys, esp you palbay I have enjoyed you sleuthing pics and vids. Your pics of the TiAg x6 shopping convinced me to get one. Now If i can just get a dealer here in San Diego to return a phone call or an e-mail then I will put in my order. I know how slow their business is, so you would think they would get back to me. Maybe asking for a 3% discount has them afraid to talk to me. You would think they would want to negotiate with someone who has had 3 bimmers and just got a new e93 last year and is willing to place the order today. Do you know of anyone in San Diego who wants my business? The dealer by my house doesn't seem to. Cheap
BMWNA, Commission check please!!!! Just kidding!!! I'm glad to help people make an informed decision.To expensive to screw up!! Its kidda fun trying to get good early pics and vids. These "Stealers" never cease to amaze me.Maybe a slowing economy will bring some of these guys back to the table.Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep

Maybe we can do a deal, just got a call back and we shall see where we go. Just can't seem to make up my mind on color. Have a silver 335 now, man what an engine, it will be fine for this big beast, just drove in from Vegas 85mph all the way (the speed of most of the traffic)and when I needed to step on it this engine just goes! maybe space gray or deep sea blue. Palbay the deep sea blue you saw did it look good or like any of the previous blues BMW has had? Cheap
      04-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
BMWMC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 528i Sedan and X5 4.8i SAV

Quote:
Maybe we can do a deal, just got a call back and we shall see where we go. Just can't seem to make up my mind on color. Have a silver 335 now, man what an engine, it will be fine for this big beast, just drove in from Vegas 85mph all the way (the speed of most of the traffic)and when I needed to step on it this engine just goes! maybe space gray or deep sea blue. Palbay the deep sea blue you saw did it look good or like any of the previous blues BMW has had? Cheap
Cheaptrick, i work at the plant and i have seen the x6 in every color. If your debating between Space gray or Deep Sea Blue. I would go with Deep Sea Blue, because it looks stunning in both models of the X6. And im sure a lot of people will be wanting Space Gray, that is a very popular color with the X5! Good luck!
Personal--> '09 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV - Winter Frost / Charcoal
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

DSB-X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMC View Post
Cheaptrick, i work at the plant and i have seen the x6 in every color. If your debating between Space gray or Deep Sea Blue. I would go with Deep Sea Blue, because it looks stunning in both models of the X6. And im sure a lot of people will be wanting Space Gray, that is a very popular color with the X5! Good luck!
Cheaptrick, I second BMWMC.DSB is a pretty color and maybe you would not see as much DSB as some of the other colors.You would stand out !!! Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Man, the X6 is friggin gorgeous........after my warranty runs out would defn consider the X6 as my next ride!!!
      04-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep

BMWMC have you seen any mineral silvers at the plant yet? If so how would you compare it to titanium silver for the x6. Thanks Cheap
      04-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mineral Silver

Quote:
BMWMC have you seen any mineral silvers at the plant yet? If so how would you compare it to titanium silver for the x6. Thanks Cheap
Cheap, Got my eyes peeled for you.I've been real busy at work,just have not had time to swing by lately.I''l get by the plant some next wk.Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep

Just back from test drive. Red/black interior, dark wood--HOT HOT. The "dark wood is great, not as dark as burl, but a littel darker than light poplar, looks very classy. I have silver on order and almost changed color but didn't. Car had most options. Comfort seats are just that-comfortable, but the std seats were good also. Sport is a must if you want the oil cooler. It's in the driver side front lower air intake, where the fog light is with another opening to the rear in the wheel well like the 335. The passenger side intake is blocked with solid plastic . The other x6 they had was non sport and both sides were blocked. Seating position is high and car rides softer than I would have thought even on sport settting, but that's ok. Back seat hard to get in and out but again OK considering how good the sloping roof looks. Big blind spots to the rear, but big mirrors compensate. Small rear window but accecptable to see out of. Car looks huge on outside (think sports car on steroids) but very snug and classy inside. 6cyl has enough pep to get it going but you would not consider it FAST like the 335. 20" wheels are almost a must to balance the big rear end. In summation, very happy I ordered one- no serious drawback and a lot of pluses, should he a great handling, good looking, fun ride for years to come. BMW's are expensive but in this case you do get what you pay for. Cheap
      04-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

X6 Drive

Quote:
Just back from test drive. Red/black interior, dark wood--HOT HOT. The "dark wood is great, not as dark as burl, but a littel darker than light poplar, looks very classy. I have silver on order and almost changed color but didn't. Car had most options. Comfort seats are just that-comfortable, but the std seats were good also. Sport is a must if you want the oil cooler. It's in the driver side front lower air intake, where the fog light is with another opening to the rear in the wheel well like the 335. The passenger side intake is blocked with solid plastic . The other x6 they had was non sport and both sides were blocked. Seating position is high and car rides softer than I would have thought even on sport settting, but that's ok. Back seat hard to get in and out but again OK considering how good the sloping roof looks. Big blind spots to the rear, but big mirrors compensate. Small rear window but accecptable to see out of. Car looks huge on outside (think sports car on steroids) but very snug and classy inside. 6cyl has enough pep to get it going but you would not consider it FAST like the 335. 20" wheels are almost a must to balance the big rear end. In summation, very happy I ordered one- no serious drawback and a lot of pluses, should he a great handling, good looking, fun ride for years to come. BMW's are expensive but in this case you do get what you pay for. Cheap
I appreciate the nice writeup!! I'm glad your drive validates your decision to buyKeep us posted on your delivery date!!! Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep

Yes Palbay, it does validate my purchase in my mind. I did not want an x5, wanted something sportier,and needed more room in the trunk to haul lots of samples, also like a high seating position. I think of BMW's as great handling cars and that's what this is. I can't see me in a station wagon, or a more traditional SUV, so I guess this is close to ideal for me. In my mind they could have used the x3 platform to pull this off, but maybe the smaller size would have completely killed the rear headroom. We may find out later if they develop a coupe like x3, but I'm ready to get a new ride now, and this is the best choice for me. Perhaps when gas is $5.00 a gallon a smaller size will make more sense, but this x6 gets 18mpg combined and my 335 e93 gets 20mpg in the real world. By the way the X6 5.0 is listed as a tentative 16mpg combined on my CA's selling booklet. Now if I can just wait the month till it shows up!, then a road trip with buddies to play golf--we will see if you really can get 4 golf bags in there or if it's just marketing hype. cheap
      04-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

X6 Drive

Quote:
Yes Palbay, it does validate my purchase in my mind. I did not want an x5, wanted something sportier,and needed more room in the trunk to haul lots of samples, also like a high seating position. I think of BMW's as great handling cars and that's what this is. I can't see me in a station wagon, or a more traditional SUV, so I guess this is close to ideal for me. In my mind they could have used the x3 platform to pull this off, but maybe the smaller size would have completely killed the rear headroom. We may find out later if they develop a coupe like x3, but I'm ready to get a new ride now, and this is the best choice for me. Perhaps when gas is $5.00 a gallon a smaller size will make more sense, but this x6 gets 18mpg combined and my 335 e93 gets 20mpg in the real world. By the way the X6 5.0 is listed as a tentative 16mpg combined on my CA's selling booklet. Now if I can just wait the month till it shows up!, then a road trip with buddies to play golf--we will see if you really can get 4 golf bags in there or if it's just marketing hype. cheap
Cheap, Your needs in a vehicle seem to be a carbon copy of mine.All the reasons you listed in your post have my name written all over them.It really does sound like BMW had customers like me and you in their sights when they dreamed up this thing called an X6.I passed on the X5 for the same reason you did,just a little to "trucky" for me.I do hear the 2nd Gen X3 will be a " shruck" version of the X6.Will be interesting to see what the new X3 ends up looking like.Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
BMWMC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 528i Sedan and X5 4.8i SAV

Quote:
Cheap, i've only seen two. Its a late production model, so it may be a few weeks before i see a lot of them.

Titanium Silver is kind of dull... to me .. Mineral Silver adds a bit of class!
Personal--> '09 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV - Winter Frost / Charcoal
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Quote:
Hey bro, we need to try a Turbo Tuner on your X when you get it!

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Nice review Cheaptrick...i have noticed that you mentioned that car has an red/black interior...can you explain,please?

Because i have ordered a vermillion red, so that interior combination sounds lovely..do you have any photo?
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #20
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep

Sorry Deda no photos, but it was vermillion red with black leather interior with dark wood (not really that dark a shade of wood more mid brown). Very nice looking combo. Nice red, more metallic than flat. They had a red 335 vert near it and that red looked flat and "old school" by comparison. The red is nice but classy difficult to describe I'm afraid. You need to see it in person to get the full effect. Cheap
      04-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #21
bond006
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330 e46

Hey everybody I wanted to jump in and join the discussion. I have been cruising this board for a while, as I was searching for a new vehicle, and based on some of your comments and friends reccomendations I ordered an X6 here in OC California. It should be here First week in June. Right now I'm on board for white/black interior, but may change to silver or red once I get to the dealers to take a look at the red one. Can't wait for a test drive. bond
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #22
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Thanks,cant wait to see it in person!
Appreciate 0