F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Extended Warranty, but out of maintenance oil change
Extreme Powerhouse

09-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Extended Warranty, but out of maintenance oil change

I'm due for another oil change here relatively soon, and was going to do it myself, but got to thinking about since I have the extended warranty on the car, should I take it to the dealer just for accountability reasons, or will I be fine doing it myself? I'm still trying to find what oil to use, but I know outside of the oil change, the only reason why I would need to bring it back to the dealer is for a DEF refill. I'm just trying not to have to spend the whole $250 it is for the actual oil change if I can do it myself for half the price minus the DEF refil.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
kpeng
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport + E30 Super ETA

Do it yourself, Mobil 1 0w-40 or BMW 5w-30.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Do it yourself, Mobil 1 0w-40 or BMW 5w-30.
This is ABSOLUTELY WRONG ADVICE!

The OP has a 328d (d for diesel), and requires an LL-04 oil, not LL-01 as you advise.

Good on the DIY however.

The DEF fill is easy. DIY's in the e90post diesel subforum (might be some in the f30post diesel subforum but it's not nearly as full as info as e90post.) Especially look for advice on getting a 2L bottle from a VW/Audi dealer and how to refill it from a 2.5 gallon jug - costs $17 at O'Reilly's or pretty much any parts store.

The oil change is also really easy. Hardest part is finding an LL-04 oil: O'Reilly's carrys Pentosyn. Dealer is pretty cheap for the diesel oil, too. You can get a filter almost anywhere (Mann is maybe most recommended.)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
kpeng
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport + E30 Super ETA

Oh, I didn't know he had a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:59 AM   #5
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
This is ABSOLUTELY WRONG ADVICE!

The OP has a 328d (d for diesel), and requires an LL-04 oil, not LL-01 as you advise.

Good on the DIY however.

The DEF fill is easy. DIY's in the e90post diesel subforum (might be some in the f30post diesel subforum but it's not nearly as full as info as e90post.) Especially look for advice on getting a 2L bottle from a VW/Audi dealer and how to refill it from a 2.5 gallon jug - costs $17 at O'Reilly's or pretty much any parts store.

The oil change is also really easy. Hardest part is finding an LL-04 oil: O'Reilly's carrys Pentosyn. Dealer is pretty cheap for the diesel oil, too. You can get a filter almost anywhere (Mann is maybe most recommended.)
My only problem with the def is that I have no way of actually measuring the level of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Oh, I didn't know he had a diesel.
Always best to read his signature block. Also, this whole sub-forum is about diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
My only problem with the def is that I have no way of actually measuring the level of it.
That's why using the VW/Audi bottle is good. It screws into the threads of the cap, sealing the bottle to the filler so no spills occur. The air in the tank vents as bubbles into the bottle - when they stop you're done. Release the spring-loaded valve and un-screw and you've not spilled anything.

Determining level (requires OBD scanner): http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=vw+def
One solution for 2.5gal jugs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...86&postcount=1
The VW Bottle: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=37

Last edited by floydarogers; 09-27-2016 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: add links
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 02:49 AM   #7
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Good info Floyd. One thing everyone is forgetting to mention is that, OP should keep ALL receipts and as much evidence as possible of all his DIY scheduled maintanince work performed, should the need arise to prove to BMW that the work was done, for any warranty work to be performed.

Even if the parts might be a few dollars more at the dealer, I will buy all my scheduled maintenance parts from them for added assurance, should I need warranty work done. Plus I've been getting 10% military discount off invoice for parts and or services from all my dealers, VW, Audi, Ford...soon BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #8
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
Good info Floyd. One thing everyone is forgetting to mention is that, OP should keep ALL receipts and as much evidence as possible of all his DIY scheduled maintanince work performed, should the need arise to prove to BMW that the work was done, for any warranty work to be performed.

Even if the parts might be a few dollars more at the dealer, I will buy all my scheduled maintenance parts from them for added assurance, should I need warranty work done. Plus I've been getting 10% military discount off invoice for parts and or services from all my dealers, VW, Audi, Ford...soon BMW
I have a pretty good relationship with both of my normal service reps, much to the point that they even know that I have my car coded. I do go through one or the other before I do anything on my car. I use LiquiMoly LL-04 Certified 5w30 and an OEM filter. Should any oil issue arise, I can at least say the filter is branded BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

I always take the flap from the filter package, which proves proper filter, write the mileage and date on it. That proves proper parts and interval.
I've heard people say you have to prove the type of oil. But with all the crap I've read about the dealerships analyzing oil, I find it hard to believe that they couldn't tell if you were using the right/wrong oil or not. I guess if nothing else, you could peel the label from the oil as well and staple it to the said flap. I would say staple the receipt, but the thermal paper fades to nothing in no time, so that's pointless.
Appreciate 0