ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Cool New shocks?

Hey guys,

My Z4 has been lowered on Eibach's for the last 2 years, with the original Sach shocks. In my opinion, the ride quality has diminished, and I'm noticing a harsher, more sensitive ride. Should I upgrade to Koni sport shocks? Any suggestions.

I just got an Eibach camber kit installed this past weekend, so this will be a perfect time to maybe invest in new shocks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Pick up a set of adjustable Koni yellows Ernie. I know quite a few people running Konis that love them.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
misterawa
United_States
Rep

I'm really leaning towards getting them. Do you think getting the Koni's would be close to a stock ride?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #4
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Pick up a set of adjustable Koni yellows Ernie. I know quite a few people running Konis that love them.
Ernie, I'm with Paul on this one...go with the Konis .....As I mentioned to you last Friday, the DINAN setup has Konis...here is an excerpt from there website.....

"The Stage 1 Suspension System has been designed to address the foundation for performance handling. The system consists of a set of performance tuned springs and carefully matched Koni adjustable front strut assemblies and rear shocks. The system provides superior handling through increased grip and reduction of body roll, while maintaining a nicely dampened ride. The modestly lower ride height gives the cars a tastefully enhanced performance look as well as improving suspension geometry. The Koni struts feature externally adjustable rebound dampening via a knob located at the top of the strut. The shocks are also rebound adjustable, requiring removal for adjustment...."

Others my feel otherwise, but in the end it will be your choice....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Since the Konis are adjustable you can have them at whatever ride comfort you want. So you can have it softer then stock, right at stock, or "feel every crack" stiff.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

An adjustable shock alone isn't going to give you THAT much flexibility. The "range" of adjustability will be determined by the spring rate of the springs you put on. (such as, from mushy to soft, or from stiffer than stock to too stiff.) Also remember that adjustable shocks usually only dampen the bound, not the rebound, so spring stiffness will play greatly into how hard the rebound is.

A mismatched shock and spring set can give a very mushy ride, such as where the car does not have enough time to normalize before you hit the next bump on a bad road, and you'll get a real rough travel. Just food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
misterawa
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going online to search for a reasonable price for the konis. Any suggestions on where to order them? I know 1st knight does his research before purchasing a product.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
An adjustable shock alone isn't going to give you THAT much flexibility. The "range" of adjustability will be determined by the spring rate of the springs you put on. (such as, from mushy to soft, or from stiffer than stock to too stiff.)
Spring rates make some difference, but also not that big of a difference if you're talking about a small increment of 50lbs or 100lbs. On the other hand, the Koni's for the regular Z4, from full soft to full stiff, trust me there's a huge difference in ride quality.

Quote:
Also remember that adjustable shocks usually only dampen the bound, not the rebound, so spring stiffness will play greatly into how hard the rebound is.
It's the other way around buddy. Single adjustable struts/shocks usually only let you adjust thre rebound settings. Also, spring stiffness plays a bigger factor in compression than rebound.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterawa View Post
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going online to search for a reasonable price for the konis. Any suggestions on where to order them? I know 1st knight does his research before purchasing a product.
Shox.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Knight View Post
Ernie, I'm with Paul on this one...go with the Konis .....As I mentioned to you last Friday, the DINAN setup has Konis...here is an excerpt from there website.....

"The Stage 1 Suspension System has been designed to address the foundation for performance handling. The system consists of a set of performance tuned springs and carefully matched Koni adjustable front strut assemblies and rear shocks. The system provides superior handling through increased grip and reduction of body roll, while maintaining a nicely dampened ride. The modestly lower ride height gives the cars a tastefully enhanced performance look as well as improving suspension geometry. The Koni struts feature externally adjustable rebound dampening via a knob located at the top of the strut. The shocks are also rebound adjustable, requiring removal for adjustment...."

Others my feel otherwise, but in the end it will be your choice....
Just FIY, the Dinan Koni struts/shocks and the Koni Strut/shocks sold by Tire-rack, shox.com, etc, are not the same thing.

Same shock bodies. Totally different internal valvings.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
misterawa
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for all the advice . I finally ordered the konis...got it for $646 with shipping included. I can't wait till their installed so I can upload some pics!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Did you get them installed yet?

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
OH FO SHO
Captain