BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > F8x Winter wheels and tires group buy

09-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

F8x Winter wheels and tires group buy

UPDATE 10/06
Group buy is now in the pledge/payment phase. Please go to the website again and pick your package. Even if you did it previously for the feeler phase you will have to do it again.
IT ENDS ON 10/13

https://www.groupbuyparts.com/index....e-gb-2016.html

9/21
Hey M2 Owners, I have posted this same message in another thread but it's kind of gotten lost in there and a few people have expressed interested so I am creating a new thread so that who ever is interested has the chance to see it.

We have organized a group buy for a winter package on the M3/4 subforum with apex wheels and several tire choices. The wheels on our cars are identical and the tires are only slightly narrower by 10mm in the M2. There are several tire sizes available for the group buy and I think some of those would work for you guys as well. The TPMS in our cars are identical too(same part number).
We have secured a pretty good discount i believe with the group buy. Here is the link to the thread. I have listed the group buy website in the first post and you can see all the selections/options there. If you have any questions regarding fitment, you can reach out directly to the vendor too(their info is listed on the group buy website).

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1292985

Last edited by visi107; 10-08-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
lyric911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I don't yet have my M2 (4th in line last I checked), and thus have no VIN to look up part numbers with, so I'm hoping somebody can make sure I'm getting everything right. I'm signed up for the above linked group buy.

Front wheels: 18x8.5"
Rear wheels: 18x9"

Tires: the square setup that I've seen in most threads has been 235/40-18, but that isn't an option in the group buy, so I went with 245/40-18 for front and rear. 225, 245, and 255 are the only widths available, regardless of wheel choice. Will this tire work out OK front and rear?

And lastly, what is the part # for our TPMS? There are 4 different choices and I've no idea what I should choose there.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric911 View Post
I don't yet have my M2 (4th in line last I checked), and thus have no VIN to look up part numbers with, so I'm hoping somebody can make sure I'm getting everything right. I'm signed up for the above linked group buy.
Tires: the square setup that I've seen in most threads has been 235/40-18, but that isn't an option in the group buy, so I went with 245/40-18 for front and rear. 225, 245, and 255 are the only widths available, regardless of wheel choice. Will this tire work out OK front and rear?
And lastly, what is the part # for our TPMS? There are 4 different choices and I've no idea what I should choose there.
- you don't need a VIN to look up part numbers. use this website http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select The part number for the TPMS is 36106856209 for the M3, M4, and M2 which is the 4th one on the list.

-re the tires specs. what you want is something that has a similar diameter/circumference to the OEM ones. It doesn't need to be exact but as long as it is within 2% is should be ok. you can use several websites to compare tire sizing. here is one http://www.willtheyfit.com/ Both the 245/40-18 and the 225/45-18 sizes should work. If you go with the narrow one (the 225) then you should also get the narrower wheel (8.5 wide).

-If you guys have any questions about sizing, please reach out to the vendor directly. Eddy and the Apex team have been very helpful. The contact is in the group buy. You can also ask them to see if they can make the 235/40-18 tire size as an option.

Last edited by visi107; 09-21-2016 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
WaMi61.50
      09-23-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visi107 View Post
Hey M2 Owners, I have posted this same message in another thread but it's kind of gotten lost in there and a few people have expressed interested so I am creating a new thread so that who ever is interested has the chance to see it.

We have organized a group buy for a winter package on the M3/4 subforum with apex wheels and several tire choices. The wheels on our cars are identical and the tires are only slightly narrower by 10mm in the M2. There are s...
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1292985
Now that you have several M2ers on the group buy and you've reached your goal of 30, could we renegotiate the discount? Maybe if we get 50 interested, then we can bring the discount to $400 instead of just the $200? Think about it, that's a huge order.
      09-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Direct link to the group buy page: https://www.groupbuyparts.com/index....-gb-2016.html/
      09-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
lyric911
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fellow M2 group buy joiners: What setup are you going with?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went with:
Color: Anthracite

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Front Tire: 245/40-18
Rear Tire: 255/35-18

To my knowledge, BMW cold weather package has the same exact dimensions for wheels and tires (and the same tires actually) except the front tire is 235/40/18
      09-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
lyric911
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaMi View Post
I went with:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

To my knowledge, BMW cold weather package has the same exact dimensions for wheels and tires (and the same tires actually) except the front tire is 235/40/18
Just for reference
Appreciate 1
WaMi61.50
      09-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Lost - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaMi View Post
I went with:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

I am a total dunce when it comes to what size of wheels and tires will work for winter set up on my M2. And I live in Connecticut, so I definitely have to do something. I assume the specs above will definitely work on the M2. What brand of wheel is that? I'd prefer Michelin Alpin anyway. Anyone know the prices? How and where can I buy?

Any advice about wheels and snow tires appreciated.
      09-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
I am a total dunce when it comes to what size of wheels and tires will work for winter set up on my M2. And I live in Connecticut, so I definitely have to do something. I assume the specs above will definitely work on the M2. What brand of wheel is that? I'd prefer Michelin Alpin anyway. Anyone know the prices? How and where can I buy?

I agree, you definitely need a set of winter tires up there in CT. Here is the recommended tire set from BMW. I just called my BMW dealership, and it ran for $2,500. It uses 640m 18" wheels. For winter, I've learned that it's good to downsize the wheels to 18s instead of 19s for more clearance because snow/ice builds up in the wheel wheel. I've also learned that it's better to go with narrower tires so there's less surface area in contact with the snow to reduce slippage.

Yes, they will. Actually, Apex Wheels recommend a square setup: "For F8X M owners with standard steel brakes, the 18” APEX EC-7 is the perfect candidate when outfitting your car for the upcoming winter. This wheel is constructed with a focus on durability and brake clearance, allowing it to go places most 18” wheels on the market simply cannot. For your F8X M, we suggest the 18x9” ET31 on all four corners, which provides enthusiasts with a proven square fitment with adequate inner and outer clearance for cars at OEM ride height, and for those who have lowered the car on aftermarket suspension. By running these wheels in a square footprint, we have maximized efficiency with the ability to rotate wheels and tires on all four corners. Our EC-7 wheel is very user friendly, compatible with OEM mounting hardware, centercaps and TPMS sensors.

When it comes to wrapping these wheels with fresh rubber, we understand the BMW community is diverse in its needs, therefore we are offering a studless ice and snow tire in 245/40-18, 245/45-18 and 255/45-18, as well as a performance winter tire in 245/40-18 and 255/40-18. The 245/45-18 studless ice and snow tire is our recommendation for enthusiasts tackling more severe weather conditions, as the slimmer tire widths are proven to be more effective in those environments. Enthusiast driving in mild winter conditions will likely opt for one of our performance winter tires.

All tire options will complement the EC-7 9” wheel, and will bolt up to the car as a direct fit with no modifications necessary. This ensures drivers have the right equipment when they need it most this winter."
      09-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #11
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan

Since you asked for advice I will say this. The Michelin pilot alpin is a "winter performance tire". It isn't a "true" winter tire. The pilot alpin will perform a lot better than the stock summer tires and will be fine in cold dry weather.
In snow however, it won't be much better than an all season tire. The Michelin x ice for example which is available through the group buy is a studless winter tire and does much much better in snow.
If you are sure that you will not drive your car in the snow then the alpin will be fine. If you plan on driving in the snow then think about the x ice or another true winter tire.
Appreciate 1
WaMi61.50
      09-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visi107 View Post
Since you asked for advice I will say this. The Michelin pilot alpin is a "winter performance tire". It isn't a "true" winter tire. The pilot alpin will perform a lot better than the stock summer tires and will be fine in cold dry weather.
In snow however, it won't be much better than an all season tire. The Michelin x ice for example which is available through the group buy is a studless winter tire and does much much better in snow.
If you are sure that you will not drive your car in the snow then the alpin will be fine. If you plan on driving in the snow then think about the x ice or another true winter tire.
Thanks. That's really useful information. I was leaning toward the Michelin Alpin, but I live in Connecticut and need to be able handle real snow.
      09-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #13
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
How bad will the winter performance be in comparison to the studless? I'm getting nervous that the WP won't be enough. I live at the top of a 300 foot elevation with curves all the way up/down. Public transportation stops running as soon as it snows on my road. I've watched all the expert videos and tests but now I'm not so sure I should go with WP. I just didn't want to forgo the "driving" aspect of the car all winter long.
      09-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #14
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
How bad will the winter performance be in comparison to the studless? I'm getting nervous that the WP won't be enough. I live at the top of a 300 foot elevation with curves all the way up/down. Public transportation stops running as soon as it snows on my road. I've watched all the expert videos and tests but now I'm not so sure I should go with WP. I just didn't want to forgo the "driving" aspect of the car all winter long.
Your weather in NYC isn't that different from ours in CT. My understanding is that the WP won't be safe if we get much snow at all. I think it's the "P" in WP that reduces the snow traction. To each their own, but I ain't taking chances with my baby this winter. I'll wait until the night before the first snow fall to switch wheels / tires and take them off just as soon as I can next spring. My last car was a 135is with Michelin WP tires and it was useless in snow. Had to drive my wife's 328xi way too often in the winter.
      10-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #15
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Xice3's are awesome tires and an excellent compromise. You can beat on them and they don't wear out. Blizzaks are softer yes but they wear. So do the Hakka's.

The R2's are better in the slush by quite a bit and a little bit better on ice. They are softer and have more void area. softer is better on ice but more void on ice is worse. Xice are great on ice but downside is slush if being picky. But they wear the best and pricing is quite good etc. and more readily available.

Also people talk about narrower is better. Well on ice wider is better so don't get too caught up in getting the narrowest tires as with most things in life its a compromise no matter what you do and especially when it comes to choosing winter rubber for a rwd performance coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
Andycc
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Xice3's are awesome tires and an excellent compromise. You can beat on them and they don't wear out. Blizzaks are softer yes but they wear. So do the Hakka's.

The R2's are better in the slush by quite a bit and a little bit better on ice. They are softer and have more void area. softer is better on ice but more void on ice is worse. Xice are great on ice but downside is slush if being picky. But they wear the best and pricing is quite good etc. and more readily available.

Also people talk about narrower is better. Well on ice wider is better so don't get too caught up in getting the narrowest tires as with most things in life its a compromise no matter what you do and especially when it comes to choosing winter rubber for a rwd performance coupe.
I had Xice2's on RWD G35 and were great. Got me through the nastiest storms. I was so impressed with them that when the time came to get winters for the new FRS, I got Xice3's without a second thought. To my surprise, they were awful! Not sure what Michelins changed from Xice 2 to 3, but they felt like all-season tires at best, no traction in slush/light snow and scary stopping distance. I thought that it had something to do with FRS being much lighter than G35, but we got Xice3's for my wife's FWD Scion TC as well and they performed as bad.

With Simply Tire's help we were able to return them back to Michelin for a refund and switched to Gislaved Nord Frost for FRS and Toyo Observe for TC. Much better traction and control of the cars.
Kudos to Simply Tire's customer service, the guys went out of their way to make us happy. It shows how important local shops are when something goes not as planned. I doubt we'd get same level of support from online retailers.

Will try Hakka's R2 on the M2 this winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #17
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I go through with the group buy option, I'm going with a square setup 18 x 9 inch ET31 Apex wheels front and back with Michelin X-Ice i3 (245/40 - 18) all around.

However, Tire Rack has added several 18 inch wheel options with those same Michelins for the M2 and I'm mulling over those vs the group buy. Only the group buy has the Apex wheels and in my opinion they're nicer than the Tire Rack wheels. Hmmmmmmm.
      10-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycc View Post
I had Xice2's on RWD G35 and were great. Got me through the nastiest storms. I was so impressed with them that when the time came to get winters for the new FRS, I got Xice3's without a second thought. To my surprise, they were awful! Not sure what Michelins changed from Xice 2 to 3, but they felt like all-season tires at best, no traction in slush/light snow and scary stopping distance. I thought that it had something to do with FRS being much lighter than G35, but we got Xice3's for my wife's FWD Scion TC as well and they performed as bad.

With Simply Tire's help we were able to return them back to Michelin for a refund and switched to Gislaved Nord Frost for FRS and Toyo Observe for TC. Much better traction and control of the cars.
Kudos to Simply Tire's customer service, the guys went out of their way to make us happy. It shows how important local shops are when something goes not as planned. I doubt we'd get same level of support from online retailers.

Will try Hakka's R2 on the M2 this winter.
Thats so odd and I don't even know what to say. The reviews are endless and countless people have run these tires with fantastic performance on a variety of vehicles. If it was a one off I would say you got a defective product but if you had three different sets of xice3 and they all were poor in your opinion than that rules defective out. You defintely can't go wrong with hakka's but you will pay a premium. to you and your experience with the xice that seems like its worth it but to myself and many of my friends and fellow enthusiasts they have performed really well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #19
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
This group buy goes live tomorrow! For those of you on the fence, the 18" wheels being offered by APEX are at least 5 lbs. lighter PER WHEEL than any of the 20 or so wheels Tire Rack is offering via their winter tire/wheel packages. In the realm of wheel weights, that is huge.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      10-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
This group buy goes live tomorrow! For those of you on the fence, the 18" wheels being offered by APEX are at least 5 lbs. lighter PER WHEEL than any of the 20 or so wheels Tire Rack is offering via their winter tire/wheel packages. In the realm of wheel weights, that is huge.
Just pledged. Come on folks. Help us get the discount.
      10-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #21
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Where is the info regarding all the extras we need? like the correct tpms model number, valve stems, which wheel bolts at what size etc.? Is it in the write up and I'm missing it?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #22
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

also which is closer to oem rolling - the 245/40/18 or the 245/45/18?
Appreciate 0