E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > iS exhaust mod???

09-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

iS exhaust mod???

Ive read a thread on how to make the regular 335i exhaust sound like the performance. But is it also possible to do this with the is?

Downpipes sound a lot better with the performance exhaust. Not as raspy..

anyone have any idea?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveer View Post
Ive read a thread on how to make the regular 335i exhaust sound like the performance. But is it also possible to do this with the is?

Downpipes sound a lot better with the performance exhaust. Not as raspy..

anyone have any idea?
What thread? Anyway, I don't know if I've gotten my IS's exhaust to sound like the PE, but it definitely has a similar vibe and certainly sounds more aggressive than it was stock. I haven't been able completely to lose the rasp at ~5K RPM, even after switching from catless to high-flow catted. DPs, swapping out the secondary cats for a resonator, and for some reason inlets/outlets have given me the IS+ exhaust sound I have now. Plus even more burble courtesy of MHD. If I could only completely lose the damned rasp, I'd be a very happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #3
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
What thread? Anyway, I don't know if I've gotten my IS's exhaust to sound like the PE, but it definitely has a similar vibe and certainly sounds more aggressive than it was stock. I haven't been able completely to lose the rasp at ~5K RPM, even after switching from catless to high-flow catted. DPs, swapping out the secondary cats for a resonator, and for some reason inlets/outlets have given me the IS+ exhaust sound I have now. Plus even more burble courtesy of MHD. If I could only completely lose the damned rasp, I'd be a very happy camper.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739970
This one^ I thought it was pretty popular..

A cop heard my car today and saw smoke comming out of it because im catless and claimed my exhaust was to loud and wrote me up a fix it. I figured if I through on the secondary cats, vibrant resonators and did the PE mod (if it works) it wont be that bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveer View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739970
This one^ I thought it was pretty popular..

A cop heard my car today and saw smoke comming out of it because im catless and claimed my exhaust was to loud and wrote me up a fix it. I figured if I through on the secondary cats, vibrant resonators and did the PE mod (if it works) it wont be that bad.
Oh, that thread. Yeah, I've posted in it. Primarily right after I had catless DPs put in and was looking to get rid of the rasp. That led me to putting in the Vibrants in place of the secondaries, which didn't work despite others swearing up and down it did. Then I was in your shoes -- completely catless, super loud, and smoke coming out when stopped. If I were in Cali, I would have been ticketed, too.

You're going to have a tough time putting in the Vibrants and keeping the secondary cats. There was really only one other place on the IS to put them, and that was almost flush against the gas tank. The custom exhaust shop guy said no-no-no, you don't want to do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh, that thread. Yeah, I've posted in it. Primarily right after I had catless DPs put in and was looking to get rid of the rasp. That led me to putting in the Vibrants in place of the secondaries, which didn't work despite others swearing up and down it did. Then I was in your shoes -- completely catless, super loud, and smoke coming out when stopped. If I were in Cali, I would have been ticketed, too.

You're going to have a tough time putting in the Vibrants and keeping the secondary cats. There was really only one other place on the IS to put them, and that was almost flush against the gas tank. The custom exhaust shop guy said no-no-no, you don't want to do that.
How much do the vibrants tone down our exhaust? Im hoping to get my fix it ticket signed off by hopefully just adding a resonator or 2..Do you think it would work? I tried my best to convince the cop it was still a stock exhaust due to my mufflers are still on. But when he reard the rasp it was a deal breaker. So I just told him that i took out the resonators. No way in hell I was going to say im catless
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySingh View Post
How much do the vibrants tone down our exhaust? Im hoping to get my fix it ticket signed off by hopefully just adding a resonator or 2..Do you think it would work? I tried my best to convince the cop it was still a stock exhaust due to my mufflers are still on. But when he reard the rasp it was a deal breaker. So I just told him that i took out the resonators. No way in hell I was going to say im catless
They had no effect at all on loudness, or eliminating rasp. Maybe they shaped the overall tone in a nice if somewhat subtle way, though, and seemed to add some more (or at least accentuate) popping and burbling. But getting rid of rasp on the IS? No. My misadventures (i.e., inordinate wastes of $$) are detailed about midway through this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170860
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They had no effect at all on loudness, or eliminating rasp. Maybe they shaped the overall tone in a nice if somewhat subtle way, though, and seemed to add some more (or at least accentuate) popping and burbling. But getting rid of rasp on the IS? No. My misadventures (i.e., inordinate wastes of $$) are detailed about midway through this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170860
Do you happen to have any recommendations on how to tone down the exhaust to get my ticket signed off?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Do you happen to have any recommendations on how to tone down the exhaust to get my ticket signed off?
Will they actually want to see/hear it again? Around here, the "fix-it" tickets just require proof that you did it, such as receipts or pictures.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
Will they actually want to see/hear it again? Around here, the "fix-it" tickets just require proof that you did it, such as receipts or pictures.
Im not to sure, Ill try getting pictures and try to get it signed off, its on my dad name so maybe i can say the cars with him at work and they cut me some slack if im lucky
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54 MT ST PI FF

I went catless with PE mod linked at the top of this thread and had resonate frequencies around 1500-2000 and 3000 RPM. Cold start was unbearably loud! Bought resonators but for now decided to refit secondary cats back on and results are great! No rasps or droning and with PE mod this exhaust sounds lovely!

I'm planning on replacing stock secondaries with some 300 or 200cpe sport cats in future.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #11
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmanek View Post
I went catless with PE mod linked at the top of this thread and had resonate frequencies around 1500-2000 and 3000 RPM. Cold start was unbearably loud! Bought resonators but for now decided to refit secondary cats back on and results are great! No rasps or droning and with PE mod this exhaust sounds lovely!

I'm planning on replacing stock secondaries with some 300 or 200cpe sport cats in future.
Thats my plan, to do the PE mod with resonators but I dont know if is can be converted to PE
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Thats my plan, to do the PE mod with resonators but I dont know if is can be converted to PE
Do report back with pictures of the inside of the iS muffler if you will do the PE mod. I'm curious to see how it differs from the PE, I don't think anyone has reported this before.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
I don't see why the PE mod cannot be done to an iS exhaust. As I see it the iS exhaust is halfway between the PE and the stock exhaust. So maybe less perforations and packing inside the mufflers...which you can eliminate with PE mod..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

I was on the debate of whether to get catless downpipes for some extra power. But I'm not a big fan of any kind of rasp and the stock IS exhaust to me has just the right amount of sound. So I think when I do start modding I am just going to go for a tune and FMIC upgrade. Pretty happy with the stock power output anyway.

And like someone else here said, I'm curious to see the difference with IS exhaust and PE exhaust laid side by side and the IS exhaust dissected.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you think the Dinan free flow exhaust mufflers would get rid of the rasp?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I actually think anything free or high flow is what creates the rasp. That seems to be the common denominaor, at least for my IS.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I actually think anything free or high flow is what creates the rasp. That seems to be the common denominaor, at least for my IS.

catted aftermarket downpipes + Dinan mufflers/exhaust, comments say no rasp
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySingh
Quote:
catted aftermarket downpipes + Dinan mufflers/exhaust, comments say no rasp
That's the thing though -- that's not my car. Blackn54is has my exact same car and set up exhaust-wise as I do, and he has no rasp. So for my car, whatever frees up the flow through the exhaust induces rasp. I don't know why it's particular to me.

The point is, no one can guarantee that what works for someone else will work for you, even if you have the exact same car as they do. I wish I had known that, because it would have saved me a good thousand bucks.

Last edited by JasW; 10-14-2016 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #19
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Not dissimilar to my car at ~5000 RPM.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not dissimilar to my car at ~5000 RPM.

I threw in the 1792 2.5 x12 inch resonators and my rasp is completely gone. Its pretty toned down but as soon as I pass 4k its incredibly loud. I wanna say its a little raspy up there but I like the sound of it.

Its loud before 4k to but due to there being no rasp you don't really hear anything in the cabbin

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_i...referrer=watch

Heres a video, my friend drove it for me, Really didnt rip it the way i wanted him to, but this is him slowly getting on it 1st-2nd

Last edited by MannySingh; 10-14-2016 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #21
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I threw in the 1792 2.5 x12 inch resonators and my rasp is completely gone. Its pretty toned down but as soon as I pass 4k its incredibly loud. I wanna say its a little raspy up there but I like the sound of it.

Its loud before 4k to but due to there being no rasp you don't really hear anything in the cabbin

Heres a video, my friend drove it for me, Really didnt rip it the way i wanted him to, but this is him slowly getting on it 1st-2nd
I fixed the video link in the quote, but yeah, you have no rasp up there. Mine has that metallic trombone-y rasp approaching 5K, even with the resonators and high flow catted DPs. No idea why my IS would be different.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #22
MannySingh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I fixed the video link in the quote, but yeah, you have no rasp up there. Mine has that metallic trombone-y rasp approaching 5K, even with the resonators and high flow catted DPs. No idea why my IS would be different.
I noticed you have 1790's in your signature... could that possibly make a difference?
Appreciate 0