E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Money owed - small claims court

09-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
bimmaguy
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 730d M Sport

Money owed - small claims court

Hope some one can help or give me some advice on this issue.

A garage owes me some money but is not paying up. He owed me £600 since around 18 months ago and after countless messages / calls i finally got half of it around 3 months ago and was told the rest will be in my account by end of the following week but to date still no sign!

the money owed is for some parts i supplied in return for some retrofit work over which i gave him some more hence the outstanding sum of £600.

you probs thinking why i have let the whole thing drag on for 18 months? well ive known him for a few years and has worked on my last 3 cars be it servicing or retrofitting one thing or another.

i dont have any such paperwork for proof of parts supplied as it was all done in an informal verbal agreement. but i do have text messages showing amount owed and him accepting what is owed.

im pretty much at the end of my patience so want to take it to the next step which is the small courts claim but not sure if i have a case or not and what are the costs involved?

any help or advice greatly appreciated.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I've done it once. Was pretty straight forward. But then i had all the paperwork.

Just need to take your time and go through it all carefully. Put together an accurate timeline of event and back it up with evidence that you have.

Once you got that you fill in a small claims form. (it's difference in Scotland where i am to England/Wales but i'd imagine it's similar)

The application costs about £90

Remember to apply for the amount owed plus the fee plus any reasonable costs (it's not LA Law or Suits so you're talking reasonable amounts)

All the forms and instructions are online. And you can always go to citizen's advice for help if need be.

Best of.

And i've been in your shoes too. Far too trusting!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci

Get him on Judge Rinder
Appreciate 0