E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Overheated - Radiator Cooling Fan not turning on

09-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport

Engine Overheated - Radiator Cooling Fan not turning on

Hi everyone,

Late last week, my car overheated in a 90+ degree day in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I first got the yellow coolant temp warning light, then the red light shortly thereafter. The car shut off, and I had to push it to the side of the road. Once I pulled aside, I opened the hood to let some heat escape, and noticed that my cooling fan was not running. I've since conducted several tests, and can't get the fan to turn on.

I have the 850w PPK2/335is fan and wiring, and have just installed a brand new unit, thinking that was the problem. Unfortunately, the fan still refuses to turn on.

Water pump and thermostat were replaced in the spring.
No codes.
All fuses and relays are good.
Fan wiring harness appears to be fine. I peeled back the insulation tape, and found no issues with any of the wires.
I am getting 12v at the harness. And the signal wire (black and blue wire) is getting a static 4.4v from the DME
Coolant temp sensor appears to be working fine (unplugged it, and the car ran horribly)

Any other ideas?
I've been beating my head against a wall for a few days now

Unfortunately, my INPA cable and laptop are at my apartment in CT, and I'm recovering from knee surgery in MA....so, that limits my diagnostic capabilities for now. But I will drive back to get my laptop if I have to.

Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

So, I've driven back to my apartment, and scanned codes in INPA. Here's what I got:

2EFE - Fan control fault
2EE0 - Coolant Temp Sensor, signal

I also tried initiating the fan through INPA, but it still did not fire up. Again, this is a brand new fan.

I was previously using my Cobb V3 to read codes, so it was unable to read these stored codes. I've just purchased a new Coolant Temp Sensor, and it'll be here on Friday. I'm also going to trace the signal wire a bit farther up the harness to see if there's any damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

I've replaced the coolant temp sensor, and still no luck activating the fan in INPA

Any aussgestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
DailyN54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi, 08 335i

It is possible that your coolant temp sensor is bad. I willing to bet you have a defective unit since your getting the voltage from the DME.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

It turned out to be a loose ground cable. The nut was not torqued properly when it was installed.

I spent several days diagnosing, conducting various tests, and banging my head against a wall, only to discover it was a 3-second repair......
Appreciate 1
iamjamen131.50
      06-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
iamjamen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 35i, E83 3.0i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PourBoi-Jay View Post
It turned out to be a loose ground cable. The nut was not torqued properly when it was installed.

I spent several days diagnosing, conducting various tests, and banging my head against a wall, only to discover it was a 3-second repair......
Total bummer.
      06-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Lol.....this brings my memories.

I spent $700 on a new fan, and it turned out to be a ground-fault. I noticed the fan twitch EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY when I performed the INPA test......that's when my light-bulb went off, and I decided to trace all fan related ground cables. The loose connection was hiding behind the windshield washer filler snorkel.....totally out of plain-sight.

Oh well....ya live and ya learn.
Appreciate 0