F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How many miles until your first warrantee visit?
ARMA SPEED

09-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

How many miles until your first warrantee visit?

Just sat in the service reception while BMW try and figure out my rapidly flashing "Clowns Nose" with just over 200 miles on the clock!

Hopefully a quick and simple fix... Usual home checks done, doors Windows etc... But, they've had the car over an hour now... :-/

What's the shortest distance you good folk have managed before an issue surfaces?...

On the plus side, the 40i sounds fantastic from outside the car also. Just had to watch it started up and driven away. Hopefully not for too much longer...
      09-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Oh no, that's bad luck to be making a dealer visit so soon. Hope they get it sorted quickly for you mate

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Easy. Drive round the block and back to the dealer after the service manager has assured my he'd cured the suspension knocking.

I've pretty much given up now. It's not getting any worse, and I'm strongly considering changing the top mounts when I change the dampers.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Car has been kept in for a dashboard removal and wiring check! This disturbs my creak OCD already...

They offered me a 2AT 5 or 7 seat or an X3 so I can fit the pram etc in. Took the X3. Going from a 340i Touring to a 2 Series Active Tourer may have made me suicidal!

As an additional key transponder was left in the car, in the arm rest, I wonder if some issue was in play in the factory. The service advisor checked the cars history and there was no mention of item warrantee work, post factory.

Hopefully there is nothing beyond a bad connection and they will sort it easily tomorrow... But, if it does persist,what are my options on a 200 mile 12 day old car?
      09-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Car has been kept in for a dashboard removal and wiring check! This disturbs my creak OCD already...

They offered me a 2AT 5 or 7 seat or an X3 so I can fit the pram etc in. Took the X3. Going from a 340i Touring to a 2 Series Active Tourer may have made me suicidal!

As an additional key transponder was left in the car, in the arm rest, I wonder if some issue was in play in the factory. The service advisor checked the cars history and there was no mention of item warrantee work, post factory.

Hopefully there is nothing beyond a bad connection and they will sort it easily tomorrow... But, if it does persist,what are my options on a 200 mile 12 day old car?
Seems a bit drastic taking the dash out.

Rapidly blinking alarm light can be something as simple as a door, boot or bonnet sensor not registering properly thinking its open.

Worth opening all doors, boot and bonnet (and fuel flap for that matter) and then closing them again and re-testing.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600
Just sat in the service reception while BMW try and figure out my rapidly flashing "Clowns Nose" with just over 200 miles on the clock!

Hopefully a quick and simple fix... Usual home checks done, doors Windows etc... But, they've had the car over an hour now... :-/

What's the shortest distance you good folk have managed before an issue surfaces?...

On the plus side, the 40i sounds fantastic from outside the car also. Just had to watch it started up and driven away. Hopefully not for too much longer...
I had to take mine in the first day I picked it up. Faulty head light unit apparently. Think I had about 50 miles on the clock
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka

Rapidly blinking alarm light can be something as simple as a door, boot or bonnet sensor not registering properly thinking its open.

Worth opening all doors, boot and bonnet (and fuel flap for that matter) and then closing them again and re-testing.
I did all 5 doors and all 5 Windows, the bonnet and filler cap before even ringing my dealer.

They did a diagnostic and coding check and decided next step was taking out the centre console for a wiring check...

I hope it's nothing sinister. I'm fairly pissed off. The car already has damaged trim, near side windscreen pillar already... So, maybe not the first time it's been it bits?!... Also, gloss plastic looks well swirled after dealer preparation!

Only just getting the chance to play with the car and notice things, the boy is finally home and and doing well. So, now I'm not just dashing between work, home and the hospital...

So, I'm perspective, the car is just an irritation. But, still worried I've opened up a saga...
Rukka2647.00
      09-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog
I had to take mine in the first day I picked it up. Faulty head light unit apparently. Think I had about 50 miles on the clock
Winner so far...
      09-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog
Winner so far...
Haha yeah I really felt like I was "winning" at the time
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
I did all 5 doors and all 5 Windows, the bonnet and filler cap before even ringing my dealer.

They did a diagnostic and coding check and decided next step was taking out the centre console for a wiring check...

I hope it's nothing sinister. I'm fairly pissed off. The car already has damaged trim, near side windscreen pillar already... So, maybe not the first time it's been it bits?!... Also, gloss plastic looks well swirled after dealer preparation!

Only just getting the chance to play with the car and notice things, the boy is finally home and and doing well. So, now I'm not just dashing between work, home and the hospital...

So, I'm perspective, the car is just an irritation. But, still worried I've opened up a saga...
Great news on the boy

Hopefully they will quickly solve the car issue and put it back together properly. Maybe worth getting the damaged trim replaced at the same time?
Appreciate 1
Rich9600740.50
      09-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin
Maybe worth getting the damaged trim replaced at the same time?
Sadly on back order, otherwise it would have been done. Expected next week...
      09-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Cherub77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

Rich in the first 4 weeks you can refuse the car and get your money back. Next cut off point is 6 months, reading the legislation I'm not entirely clear as to where I stand but it says you can come to an agreement with the manufacturer to buy the car back or replace it. After that you are stuck with it.

Mine was scratched in several places on collection day (individual paint) and I swear has the loudest creaking seal problem of any car on earth. I have several niggly electrical faults which are really pissing me off and every week or two something else happens. I'm just outside the six month window but it's spent lots of time in the garage and I wait three weeks each time to book it back in. Pretty close to getting rid of it.

If you aren't 100% happy in the first 4 weeks...
Appreciate 1
Rich9600740.50
      09-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub77 View Post
Rich in the first 4 weeks you can refuse the car and get your money back. Next cut off point is 6 months, reading the legislation I'm not entirely clear as to where I stand but it says you can come to an agreement with the manufacturer to buy the car back or replace it. After that you are stuck with it.

Mine was scratched in several places on collection day (individual paint) and I swear has the loudest creaking seal problem of any car on earth. I have several niggly electrical faults which are really pissing me off and every week or two something else happens. I'm just outside the six month window but it's spent lots of time in the garage and I wait three weeks each time to book it back in. Pretty close to getting rid of it.

That's it. The Consumer Rights Act gives you the right, in law, to reject a faulty car in the first 4 weeks and get a full refund. You can choose to allow the garage to attempt a repair, but it it YOUR choice.

After that first 4 weeks, until 6 months, you have the right to reject, but the garage is allowed to have ONE attempt to fix first (again, you can choose to allow further attempts, but your choice always), and they can make a 'reasonable deduction' from the refund for the use you have had of the car. Exactly what that figure would be will only be determined by the courts in due time, once a number of cases have been through dispute.

So it's quite simple if you're still within the first 4 weeks. Inform them that you intend invoking your CRA rights, and watch the panic hit. I guarantee you'll be first in the queue, and your car will get their best technician on it.
Appreciate 1
Rich9600740.50
      09-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #14
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub77

Thanks, it's worth knowing where I stand. Also, should I need it, what the heavy artillery is called.

I have a good relationship with the dealer and I expect them to do what's required... However, should I have no joy in the next week or so I can at least mutter about rejecting the car. Though, I hope it's fixed and still creak free for me tomorrow.
      09-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #15
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Less than 10 miles after collecting my brand new M135i it announced:

LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE - STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY! (or words to that effect)

Fortunately I was only round the corner from the dealer so I trundled it back in and had to wait while they checked the car over.

Thankfully there was nothing wrong and it never did it again, but not the best new car pickup ever!
      09-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Not a BMW, (VW) got home after 12 miles and the car wouldn't lock, windows wouldn't work. Went in for 5 days for the electrics fix. Not a good start for my first VW.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #17
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh, and when I collected the 330d I had the horror of finding it plastered will all the M badges and model designation, even though I had ordered it fully de-badged.
      09-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #18
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

First 330D lasted about 10 miles before I turned around and got them to remove the shipping blocks...
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

Wifes dad had a Vauxhall zafira that caugh fire so received a hire car from thrifty which was a brand new mondeo with under 20mls on the clock.
He drove 2 miles down the road and the timing belt snapped.

To cap if off when He eventually got home the cat had died

What a day
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #20
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka

Fingers crossed it will be something simple then

Try not to let it detract from a really good car. I'm sure they'll sort it.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #21
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

warranty

I think under 1000 miles when my bonnett switch failed resulting in false bonnett open warnings.

Days before xmas

09-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #22
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

8k on the 335d - new blower fitted.

On previous C350 Merc - 6 miles, 8 miles, 20 miles 40 miles - turned out to be a duff stop-start battery.
Appreciate 0