BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > replacement door mirror

09-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #1
Omertron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116D Sport

replacement door mirror

So this happened over the weekend. The individuals responsible were seen but not caught, so now I face having to replace this myself or pay an exorbitant excess fee.

Does anyone have any simple instructions (or better yet youtube link) on how to replace the door mirror? (I have sourced a second hand unit).

Last edited by Omertron; 09-13-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omertron View Post
So this happened over the weekend.
Your picture doesn't show: it's a private link, visible to you only (when logged into Google) perhaps.

Thus it's not clear what happened (a theft, a breakage) and what damage you have (a glass or the whole thing).

Quote:
Does anyone have any simple instructions (or better yet youtube link) on how to replace the door mirror?
Glass installation is very simple. Connect the wires (any match for heated only but mind auto-dimmable can be burnt black with wires mismatch), tuck the wires not to show between the glass and the frame, push the glass carefully(!) on the middle to click fixed.

The whole thing replacement is quite straightforward but not so simple. I watched it being done on my car at the dealer's. Nothing really special but I did not have the impression I'd rather do it myself. If you're handy try to make the video , if not I'd suggest you should pay.

Quote:
I have sourced a second hand unit.
Just mind whom you are buying from: don't support those stealing MFs' "business"!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Omertron
Registered
Rep

Sorry about the picture, I did try and check it. Edited to change to an imugr link.

I had a feeling that replacing the unit might be more difficult due to the trim and tools required (that I probably don't have)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry about the picture, I did try and check it. Edited to change to an imugr link.
Don't be shy to upload right here. A picture or document link included does not have to be external. They even encourage to avoid that if possible: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/annou....php?f=292&a=2.

Quote:
I had a feeling that replacing the unit might be more difficult due to the trim and tools required (that I probably don't have)
I can barely recall but you are right, of course. They use some tools not too professional to be hardly available, I'd guess, but you shouldn't have those at home already, may be in the garage if you are a DIY fan. In particular, trim removal is a bit tricky as it's clipped on and takes a special blade to pry. A dealer's mechanic struggled to accomplish, even making me wonder if he was really qualified. A bit of skill is useful if you don't want to damage something.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:24 AM   #5
Omertron
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to buy a replacement and then not be able to fit it.
If I pay for a garage to do it, it will end up being the same as the insurance excess, so I might as well get it done "properly"
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Xtian
Illuminated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Old thread, I know. If you're out there, how'd it turn out?

I have the same issue. Parts ordered. As of now I feel that I have to slip off the door panel to access the bolts holding the metal frame in place. That's a chore.

Anyone care to chime in?

2012 135i M-Sport 6M.

And I have no idea why I have negative rating points.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
No one
Major
Rep

So there's a video now:

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian View Post
2012 135i M-Sport 6M.
There are E series videos available too.

Quote:
And I have no idea why I have negative rating points.
There are some discussion threads: Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
Omertron
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Old thread, I know. If you're out there, how'd it turn out?
In the end, because I was handing the car back in (it was a lease) I decided to "fix" it with epoxy resin, which worked well enough.
Appreciate 0