E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i over to a 645 and already issues - help !

09-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M sport

335i over to a 645 and already issues - help !

Hi guys, I posted up on 6post about this issue but have had zero replies, might have something to do with the 6 people surfing 6post lol.

Got myself a 645ci 2004 as my DD, left the 335i for the weekends

First problem Rough idle / slight knock - its thrown the code P2189 System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 2). It rests sometimes around 600rpm, then hovers to 700 and back down to 500, so its not crazy but its defiantly something.

I know this sadly can be because of many things, MAF sensor dirty, crack in piping, vacuum leak, hoses cracked, 02 front sensor bad, injectors etc. Any idea if you guys have had the same problem regardless of model of BMW what where to start the search? Spark plugs where just all replaced before i got the car, oil change, oil filter, air filter.

Second problem is connecting my iPhone 6 to the drive, in my e93 was no problem but its not seeing it in my 6. It has the BMW phone I'm not sure if that matters or not. Does it need a firmware update?

Thanks in advance guys
Lewis
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
ilicboris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

Sell it.

N62B44 is a garbage motor. I had a 2004 545i that I put too much work in for no reward. The motor has absolutely zero support other than fixing it's issues. Timing cover gasket leak, valve cover gasket, alternator bracket gasket, clogged secondary air passages, mechatronic sleeve seal, carbon buildup. The list goes on.

I'm no stranger to maintenance and repairs, but the N62 is on another level of repairs. At least the N54 offers speed in exchange, but everything on the N62 is worse. The worst engine to ever roll out of their factory in my opinion and I wish I had sold mine sooner.

Sorry to sound so negative on your new purchase, hope you enjoy it because I definitely like the 6 series styling. Look into your intermediate levers for your weird idle, I had a strange idle in my car and the indie I took it to suggested that the intermediate levers were the most obvious cause.
Appreciate 2
TrollToll654.00
      09-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Info on the car? Tune, mods, have u checked for leaks of any kind ?!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Blackhawk View Post

Got myself a 645ci 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilicboris View Post
I definitely like the 6 series styling.
Appreciate 1
TrollToll654.00
      09-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Blackhawk View Post
Hi guys, I posted up on 6post about this issue but have had zero replies, might have something to do with the 6 people surfing 6post lol.

Got myself a 645ci 2004 as my DD, left the 335i for the weekends

First problem Rough idle / slight knock - its thrown the code P2189 System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 2). It rests sometimes around 600rpm, then hovers to 700 and back down to 500, so its not crazy but its defiantly something.

I know this sadly can be because of many things, MAF sensor dirty, crack in piping, vacuum leak, hoses cracked, 02 front sensor bad, injectors etc. Any idea if you guys have had the same problem regardless of model of BMW what where to start the search? Spark plugs where just all replaced before i got the car, oil change, oil filter, air filter.

Second problem is connecting my iPhone 6 to the drive, in my e93 was no problem but its not seeing it in my 6. It has the BMW phone I'm not sure if that matters or not. Does it need a firmware update?

Thanks in advance guys
Lewis
On a naturally aspirated BMW running lean check the following.
1. Idle Control Valve. At idle can cause lean or rich mixture.
2. O2 Sensors, you have a total of 4. 2 pre and 2 post cat. You might have a bad sensor on one bank, pre-cat. Change them both.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
On a naturally aspirated BMW running lean check the following.
1. Idle Control Valve. At idle can cause lean or rich mixture.
2. O2 Sensors, you have a total of 4. 2 pre and 2 post cat. You might have a bad sensor on one bank, pre-cat. Change them both.
Hi mate thanks for getting back to me, ill check it all out and get back. Im getting a bit of a knock coming through, if the 02's where bad it would give bad idle but I feel a physical slight knock through the seats, setting off slowly sometimes is a little jerky, would that point towards injector problem also?

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilicboris View Post
Sell it.

N62B44 is a garbage motor. I had a 2004 545i that I put too much work in for no reward. The motor has absolutely zero support other than fixing it's issues. Timing cover gasket leak, valve cover gasket, alternator bracket gasket, clogged secondary air passages, mechatronic sleeve seal, carbon buildup. The list goes on.

I'm no stranger to maintenance and repairs, but the N62 is on another level of repairs. At least the N54 offers speed in exchange, but everything on the N62 is worse. The worst engine to ever roll out of their factory in my opinion and I wish I had sold mine sooner.

Sorry to sound so negative on your new purchase, hope you enjoy it because I definitely like the 6 series styling. Look into your intermediate levers for your weird idle, I had a strange idle in my car and the indie I took it to suggested that the intermediate levers were the most obvious cause.
If the idle problem wasn't a issue i would actually be pretty happy with the switch, to be honest I love the N54, can't complain at all about it besides the HPFP and all its known issues which i luckily never experienced.

To be honest Ive had two N54's in my time, both of them bought second hand around 45,000 miles, never missed a beat, my friend on the other hand bought one at 40k miles, it was living in the garage more than on the road, 3 HPFP's bad 02 sensors, waste gate actuator issues, issues left right and centre, Its just hit a miss to be honest I think, sometimes you buy a motor that looks lovely and shiny and is just rubbish throughout, just luck of the draw

Ill hopefully find out what this issue is as its really annoying even though its so minor currently I just want it sorted.
Appreciate 0