F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyres......
ARMA SPEED

09-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Tyres......

So, after 26k on the factory Pirelli P Zero run flats, it's time to get some new boots. Pretty pleased with how these have done to be honest mileage wise, but like the idea of getting away from the skiddy cold weather behaviour and crashing over bumps from the runflats.

I have the MSport plus upgraded 19" wheels on my 335dx and it seems from reading a fair few threads on here that I would be a fool to overlook the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

So, what's the best prices people have seen recently?

Also, going to need a slime/pump type kit, any suggestions on that are welcome too

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Black circles or tyreleader is your hunting ground for best prices. There are some others.

I bought the Continental tyres mobility kit, there is a Ford dealer down Bristol way that sells them for good prices. Apparently they are used in some Fords. Cheaper than the genuine BMW kit and it looks like BMW sell the older exposed bottle version. The new one is very neat.

Others use slime and a foot pump, or compressor. I personally wouldn't use a foot pump. If the hole is big enough you'd be knackered by the time you put enough air in
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I have the same Continental kit as NISFAN but can't say how good or bad it is as I've never needed to use it (and hope I never will!).

On the tyre choice, my car's on Goodyear AS2's (which I'm very happy with) and I assume the later AS3's are better still. There are also good offerings from Continental, Yokohama and others and you might find the recent EVO tyre test worth a look; the Pilot Super Sport was the pick of the bunch in the dry handling but finished only 6th out of 9 overall despite being one of the more expensive tyres on test.....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Oponeo and tyreleader alternate between having the best prices.

Slime is rated the highest, and only £21 for the complete kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-18003...ords=slime+car
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

What's the deal with speed and loading ratings if you swap to non run on flats... IIRC the PSS tyres are not an exact match to the original specs... Or is that just horse dung..???
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1
I have the same Continental kit as NISFAN but can't say how good or bad it is as I've never needed to use it (and hope I never will!).

On the tyre choice, my car's on Goodyear AS2's (which I'm very happy with) and I assume the later AS3's are better still. There are also good offerings from Continental, Yokohama and others and you might find the recent EVO tyre test worth a look; the Pilot Super Sport was the pick of the bunch in the dry handling but finished only 6th out of 9 overall despite being one of the more expensive tyres on test.....
Thanks, I'll take a look.

I'm not looking to save money, as that would seem false economy on a £50k list car, but will take a look at the other offerings. That said, I did wince a little when I saw that replacement P Zero run flats are £226 a corner

Have run Conti's on cars in the not too distant past as was pleased with them, but will take a look at the Goodyears too.

Thanks chaps and thanks for the slime/conti pack advice
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look.

I'm not looking to save money, as that would seem false economy on a £50k list car, but will take a look at the other offerings. That said, I did wince a little when I saw that replacement P Zero run flats are £226 a corner

Have run Conti's on cars in the not too distant past as was pleased with them, but will take a look at the Goodyears too.

Thanks chaps and thanks for the slime/conti pack advice
Certainly wasn't suggesting you should fit anything other than a premium tyre, the only point I was making was that the most expensive isn't necessarily the best!

I'm not out to knock Michelin either as I think they make good tyres. However, I don't think the Pilot Super Sport is quite the no-brainer choice some would have you believe, especially if you happen to do a reasonable proportion of your driving on wet roads!
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Certainly wasn't suggesting you should fit anything other than a premium tyre, the only point I was making was that the most expensive isn't necessarily the best!

I'm not out to knock Michelin either as I think they make good tyres. However, I don't think the Pilot Super Sport is quite the no-brainer choice some would have you believe, especially if you happen to do a reasonable proportion of your driving on wet roads!
The PSS are great on wet roads, and a million times better than S001's!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
Ice Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Interesting thread, and one I was wondering about, but hopefully not one for me just yet unless the slow puncture in the near side rear continues to be a problem and isn't repairable! MPSS seems to be the default and my first though, I liked them on my M135, but what other options are worth looking at. Care is certainly needed with The Bridgestone run flats when it gets cold and wet
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

I'm lost with what Michelin are trying to do with their naming, but the PS4 is 'supposed' to replace the PSS (certainly in the smaller diameters).

I don't think the 19" PS4 is available yet (must be due soon), but it is receiving very good reviews.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcab View Post
I'm lost with what Michelin are trying to do with their naming, but the PS4 is 'supposed' to replace the PSS (certainly in the smaller diameters).

I don't think the 19" PS4 is available yet (must be due soon), but it is receiving very good reviews.
The PS4 is not a replacement for the PSS, there is a new version of the PSS coming next year. The PS4 is available in 255/35 19 but not 225/40 19's yet.

Michelin site is clear that PSS is for "supersport cars" and PS4 is for "sport & premium cars":
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #12
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

I love runflats.

Oponeo or camskill for tyres, used both and would do so again although Oponeo tyres aren't the newest (going by DOT) but then it was on a C63 and they only last 4500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback

OP, its a shame that you didnt attend the ACS arranged track day (with BMW Car club) at Donnington last year.
You would have witnessed / felt in their M4, in the hooning rain, just how the front end defied physics in terms of grip in the wet.

If my new AMG is no good on the tyres it comes with after the 1st month, I will be swapping them out without question to MPSS again, as I have done with my 4 series.

Chris / Lorcan at ACS did me a very good deal on the tyres, but I was checking black circles and camskill regularly for prices.
I noted that the prices changed on a daily basis, so best watching the sites for a while to see the best deal that comes up before hitting "order".
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, got an F36 4GC then Merc AMG C43 Coupe. Now Audi RS5 Sportback.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The PSS are great on wet roads, and a million times better than S001's!
Perhaps but if the EVO test is to be believed there are others that are better in those conditions; although they rated the PSS very highly in the dry they actually described it as "out of its depth" in the wet! It was 8th out of 9 on wet lap time, 8th out of 9 in the wet handling and 7th out of 9 on the wet steering pad; wasn't anywhere near the top in the aquaplaning tests either.

Obviously the EVO test is just one review but the impression it gave is that there are other tyres (Conti SportContact6, Goodyear AS3, Yokohama Advan Sport) that offer better all-round performance for less outlay. That certainly doesn't mean the PSS is a bad tyre, only that for use on a daily driver in varied conditions there might be better alternatives!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps but if the EVO test is to be believed there are others that are better in those conditions; although they rated the PSS very highly in the dry they actually described it as "out of its depth" in the wet! It was 8th out of 9 on wet lap time, 8th out of 9 in the wet handling and 7th out of 9 on the wet steering pad; wasn't anywhere near the top in the aquaplaning tests either.

Obviously the EVO test is just one review but the impression it gave is that there are other tyres (Conti SportContact6, Goodyear AS3, Yokohama Advan Sport) that offer better all-round performance for less outlay. That certainly doesn't mean the PSS is a bad tyre, only that for use on a daily driver in varied conditions there might be better alternatives!
What tyre size & what car was the Evo test on?

I can tell you that they're the best wet weather tyres I've ever had on a 3 series by a noticeable margin, and I've had them on an sdrive and xdrive. This is compared to Bridgestone S001's & RE050a's, Conti sport contact 2 or 3's, Pirelli P Zero's & Michelin Efficient Grip's.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #16
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Quote:
The PS4 is not a replacement for the PSS, there is a new version of the PSS coming next year. The PS4 is available in 255/35 19 but not 225/40 19's yet.

Michelin site is clear that PSS is for "supersport cars" and PS4 is for "sport & premium cars":
Don't think its as clear cut as that - no matter what the Michelin marketing people are saying.

This is a Michelin quote from Tyre Reviews:

While Pilot Sport 4 replaces the Pilot Sport 3, it’s an improvement on the Pilot Super Sport, not a “new” Pilot Sport 3, in design and technology. In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear. The other 1% is on a dry track where the Pilot Super Sport would outperform the Pilot Sport 4 by a couple of tenths of a second around a long track. For more track focused track drivers we will expand the range of Pilot Sport Cup 2 over the next few years.

As most of us don't drive exclusively on the track it seems PSS is now redundant? As I said, it seems a bit of a mess....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What tyre size & what car was the Evo test on?

I can tell you that they're the best wet weather tyres I've ever had on a 3 series by a noticeable margin, and I've had them on an sdrive and xdrive. This is compared to Bridgestone S001's & RE050a's, Conti sport contact 2 or 3's, Pirelli P Zero's & Michelin Efficient Grip's.
Tyre size was 235/35 on 19" wheels with Y91 load rating; test car was a Focus ST. Obviously the front-drive Focus is a different kettle of fish from a rear-drive or AWD BMW but apparently it was chosen for its relatively neutral chassis balance which enabled the testers to concentrate on the characteristics of the different tyres.

Would the finishing order have been different if a different test car been used? No idea but don't really see why it would be!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Tyre size was 235/35 on 19" wheels with Y91 load rating; test car was a Focus ST. Obviously the front-drive Focus is a different kettle of fish from a rear-drive or AWD BMW but apparently it was chosen for its relatively neutral chassis balance which enabled the testers to concentrate on the characteristics of the different tyres.

Would the finishing order have been different if a different test car been used? No idea but don't really see why it would be!
Really?! I don't see why it wouldn't be! Different wheel drive, different weight, different weight distribution etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcab View Post
Don't think its as clear cut as that - no matter what the Michelin marketing people are saying.

This is a Michelin quote from Tyre Reviews:

While Pilot Sport 4 replaces the Pilot Sport 3, it’s an improvement on the Pilot Super Sport, not a “new” Pilot Sport 3, in design and technology. In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear. The other 1% is on a dry track where the Pilot Super Sport would outperform the Pilot Sport 4 by a couple of tenths of a second around a long track. For more track focused track drivers we will expand the range of Pilot Sport Cup 2 over the next few years.

As most of us don't drive exclusively on the track it seems PSS is now redundant? As I said, it seems a bit of a mess....
I must admit, if the 10-15% better wear compared to PSS is true, then yes they could make more sense on a road car, especially with the mileage I do. My rear PSS are nearly worn out at 15k miles & that's on an xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #20
MattRST
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

MPSS for me , outstanding tyre . EVO mag have always scored contis number 1 for years regardless of competition . One of the guys at work has swapped 1 month old conti 6s in 235/35/19 for MPSS he hated them so much on his Megane RS. Collect for cheap from Telford if someone wants
      09-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRST View Post
MPSS for me , outstanding tyre . EVO mag have always scored contis number 1 for years regardless of competition . One of the guys at work has swapped 1 month old conti 6s in 235/35/19 for MPSS he hated them so much on his Megane RS. Collect for cheap from Telford if someone wants
But if PS4 really is better than PSS everywhere except on track, then surely they're worth considering?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #22
MattRST
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Says 1 review?