F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Speeding
Studio RSR

09-08-2016, 02:24 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Speeding

Here we go another rip-off.

https://www.petrolprices.com/variabl...7654107ef33cca
      09-08-2016, 02:56 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

As we have had enforced variable speed limits in various places within the UK for a while, I can only assume the author commutes along that stretch.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:59 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
As we have had enforced variable speed limits in various places within the UK for a while, I can only assume the author commutes along that stretch.
Nope never use it, BUT this will escalate IMO. M6 having it fitted now.
Average Speed cameras are coming to many Motorways soon 24 /7 .
      09-08-2016, 03:18 AM   #4
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

No point fitting it to the M6, you can't get above 40mph anyway!
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 03:26 AM   #5
mpawood
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xDrive M Sport

M6, M42, M1, M25 all have this already. The individual speed cameras above the lanes aren't what will catch you, it's the new hadecs 3 on the side of the motorway that's trickier to spot http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

Annoyingly they are creating lots of disruption in road works just to fit these. A 25 mile stretch of M25 was reduced to two lanes for ages just for some of these to be put up.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:40 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Nope never use it, BUT this will escalate IMO. M6 having it fitted now.
Average Speed cameras are coming to many Motorways soon 24 /7 .
I meant the author of the article

I think the A14 has had average speed cameras since 2008 or so.

On a slight devils advocate approach, how about we fine people caught speeding / traffic offences the total cost that the police, CPS etc involved in the end to end process?

That way it can be seen to only be covering costs incurred by various bodies in prosecuting someone breaking the law(s).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:51 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Variable speed limit cameras are well known; people know what to do.

Same with average speed cameras, especially in roadworks.

People are not as clear about Hadecs. On the M25 tend to be mounted on the same gantries as those with variable speed cameras. From what I've read, Hadecs is a fixed point system rather than an average speed monitoring system like SPECS, and their technology appears to be more advanced, i.e. the ability to monitor up to 5 lanes of traffic on smart motorways where the number of live lanes can vary.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:37 AM   #8
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
It's not a problem for me. My DB5 has rotating number plates.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 4
stu14t450.50
sygazelle11413.50
Edinburra546.50
      09-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #9
Ice Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Variable speed limit cameras are well known; people know what to do.

I am not sure they do know what to do, the amount of times i have seen cars travelling above the speed limit between average speed camera points and brake when they get to the camera amazes me,
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

Someone should invent a laser to automatically point itself at cameras
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
To be honest where the technology is in place (e.g. on stretches of the M62 between Leeds and Manchester) I always thought that failing to respect a variable speed limit ran the risk of an endorsement (so nothing new there as far as I'm aware?).

However, what has never been quite so clear (at least to me!) is whether you run the risk of a prosecution if no variable speed limit was showing but you were doing (say) 80mph. In theory the camera could record you and per the guidelines you'd be in endorsement or speed awareness course territory for doing 80mph on a motorway. If the authorities ever start using these cameras like that it would be a real revenue earner.....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #12
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Just use a GPS speed camera detector, so you know which ones you can ignore. I have a Cheetah C550 set on dark whisper mode and +10% - it doesn't bother you unless there's a fixed camera there AND you are 10% above the speed limit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #13
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random75 View Post
Just use a GPS speed camera detector, so you know which ones you can ignore. I have a Cheetah C550 set on dark whisper mode and +10% - it doesn't bother you unless there's a fixed camera there AND you are 10% above the speed limit.
So you're saying on a "smart motorway" with variable speed limits you aim to never exceed 77mph (i.e. in effect you assume the cameras are working by reference to the normal 70mph speed limit unless a variable limit's showing?). I can see that's the prudent approach but I'd be forever getting overtaken and boxed-in if I stuck to less than 80mph when there was no variable limit showing!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #14
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1
However, what has never been quite so clear (at least to me!) is whether you run the risk of a prosecution if no variable speed limit was showing but you were doing (say) 80mph. In theory the camera could record you and per the guidelines you'd be in endorsement or speed awareness course territory for doing 80mph on a motorway. If the authorities ever start using these cameras like that it would be a real revenue earner.....
No one has been prosecuted by a camera for speeding on a motorway when the national speed limit applied. Would love to hear if you think I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
No one has been prosecuted by a camera for speeding on a motorway when the national speed limit applied. Would love to hear if you think I'm wrong.
There was a thread on here only this year where the poster was saying he had been done by hadecs cameras on a motorway near Bristol...

My understanding is that the camera systems do now operate also when the national speed limit applies, not just when they are showing lower limits..

Also, the camera vans operate on motorways in some areas...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
Quote:
There was a thread on here only this year where the poster was saying he had been done by hadecs cameras on a motorway near Bristol...

My understanding is that the camera systems do now operate also when the national speed limit applies, not just when they are showing lower limits..

Also, the camera vans operate on motorways in some areas...
I bet this guy was done when a lower temporary limit applied.

Yes, the cameras do operate but they don't use to prosecute - I have been flashed by hadecs3 and gantry cameras (both during NSL) but no ticket.

All articles I have read talking about new cameras etc over several years never clearly state whether they will be used during NSL.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I bet this guy was done when a lower temporary limit applied.

Yes, the cameras do operate but they don't use to prosecute - I have been flashed by hadecs3 and gantry cameras (both during NSL) but no ticket.

All articles I have read talking about new cameras etc over several years never clearly state whether they will be used during NSL.
The number of people doing well over 80mph on smart motorways when there's no variable limit showing suggests you're probably right about the cameras not being used to enforce the NSL! However, if the authorities were so inclined I see nothing to stop them using the cameras in that way; give everyone a few weeks notice that exceeding the NSL on a smart motorway will result in a NITP and then watch the money roll-in....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #18
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
So you're saying on a "smart motorway" with variable speed limits you aim to never exceed 77mph (i.e. in effect you assume the cameras are working by reference to the normal 70mph speed limit unless a variable limit's showing?). I can see that's the prudent approach but I'd be forever getting overtaken and boxed-in if I stuck to less than 80mph when there was no variable limit showing!
No it goes off whenever you pass a variable speed camera (gantry or hadecs), so I just slow down for that specific gantry when showing a limit. If it's not showing anything I just motor on. If the gantry is showing a limit, but there isn't a camera on it, I just ignore the limit sign.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #19
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random75 View Post
No it goes off whenever you pass a variable speed camera (gantry or hadecs), so I just slow down for that specific gantry when showing a limit. If it's not showing anything I just motor on. If the gantry is showing a limit, but there isn't a camera on it, I just ignore it.
Ah, so you're assuming the same as RWDPetrol (i.e. the cameras on smart motorways aren't used to enforce the NSL?). As I say, probably a fair assumption although I'm sure I remember seeing an article in one of the Yorkshire newspapers which suggested the cameras on the M62 were in use at all times and not just when a temporary limit was in force. The inference was they could be used to enforce the NSL but that might just have been a scare tactic....

ETA: Article below might be the one I was thinking of!

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-...ameras-6152759
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #20
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post

The section in the article has had the Variable Speed Limit (Managed Motorways) on since 2011. It's a shitty piece of Motorway that varies between 3 and 2 lanes, has numerous dodgy on/off junctions, passes right through an urban area (of Newport) and a longish 2 lane tunnel which is infamous for people banging into each other.

The Variable speed limits were introduced to A) reduce road noise and B) try to reduce the very regular crashes which close the motorway there with the only way round them being through Newport. Up until now the variable speed limits have not been enforced, effectively giving 5 years of "grace" period to get used to it. But that is now being changed so they are being enforced, and that is the only change, so frankly I don't see what the whinge is.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #21
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
I know you are wrong, because I was prosecuted for 79 in a 70 (NSL) by a camera van on the overpass over the M4 at Bridgend at couple of years ago. Luckily that was my only ever one so I took a driver improvement course.
Appreciate 1
notused306.00
      09-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #22
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
The section in the article has had the Variable Speed Limit (Managed Motorways) on since 2011. It's a shitty piece of Motorway that varies between 3 and 2 lanes, has numerous dodgy on/off junctions, passes right through an urban area (of Newport) and a longish 2 lane tunnel which is infamous for people banging into each other.

The Variable speed limits were introduced to A) reduce road noise and B) try to reduce the very regular crashes which close the motorway there with the only way round them being through Newport. Up until now the variable speed limits have not been enforced, effectively giving 5 years of "grace" period to get used to it. But that is now being changed so they are being enforced, and that is the only change, so frankly I don't see what the whinge is.
In theory I think there's merit in the variable speed limit idea but the problem on a lot of these smart motorways seems to be that variable limits are often shown for no apparent reason!

For example, on several occasions I've driven through the ones on the M62 when a 50mph or 60mph limit has been flashing despite the fact the traffic was relatively light and there were no obvious accidents or problems; anyone know who activates and sets these variable limits and on what basis?!
Appreciate 0