F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d - One Year Full Review
Extreme Powerhouse

09-07-2016, 03:58 AM   #1
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

330d - One Year Full Review

Well, its pretty much to the day, a year since I picked up my 330d so I reckoned it was a good time to share my thoughts on the good the bad and the ugly..

Spec and Value

Firstly, I pondered long and hard about x drive 330 and also 335. I couldn't live with the look of the x drive wheel arches and found the ride too spongy so I ruled out X drive straight away and wasn't prepared to buy a £36k car then modify the springs.

I opted for winter wheels and tyres instead and am very happy with that choice, I think its a great compromise as I get rear drive fun for 9 months of the year and save tyre wear on the 19s for 3 months.

I went quite light on options - MS+ pack, Prof Nav, HUD, split rear seats, heated seats and service pack. Anything I miss ? not really, I think its the prefect spec and don't miss anything. I have folded the mirrors about 4 times manually in the last year but the should be standard really, as should split rear seats. Most people know but if you need flexibility don't forget to tick the split rear seats option, was very handy last week going to cornwall I took my road bike with me..

HUD is far and away the best option I have on the car, I would seriously miss this on another car and use it so much every day. The full colour nav display that you get of the road junctions is awesome and so so much better than Audi's virtual cockpit which takes your eyes off the road - this is a huge own goal IMO. HUD is much safer. One wish - the HUD should show revcounter and gear when in sport mode, that would be fantastic.

I would definitely tick MS+ and Prof Nav next time. It would be nice if they did the pano sunroof for the saloon would have liked that. I still think the pro nav is better than anything else on the market, at any price. It is a measure of that when getting in the new Boxster and using the nav how disappointed I was with it.

Overall I think in M sport spec the car is well kitted out and with the discounts, decent value for money.

I went for EB and Saddle leather which seems to be a rare combo. Love it as much now as the day I got it, the saddle leather is a lovely colour and looks great at night. I think its really lifts the interior above the normal black on black and goes well with EB, MG or Black exterior. Have found it very hard wearing and doesn't show the dirt either.

I would consider going for an individual exterior colour next time but would tick the saddle leather again in an instant. I wish BMW still did solid Imola Red as a no cost option, would love that. All the German makes still have an obsession about boring greys and silvers and a few more choices of blue, red etc would be nice.

Build Quality

Hmm, a bit of a mixed view. Generally it feels well put together but the cabin suffers from too many annoying little squeaks and rattles tbh for a £40k premium car. I have had the car in twice to sort the drivers seat that developed a squeal like a Greater Anglia train. Finally I think its ok, but there are still a few little squaks. My other half's A1 is better built and honestly, my old Fiat makes no more rattles than the BMW. Disappointing.

Otherwise no issues in the first year, given I have racked up 25k miles, engine, aircon etc has all been 100% reliable.

Performance, Handling and Economy

By far the cars best feature, the combination of amazing economy and lets face it, supercar performance from 10 years ago really. I love manual boxes but the 8 speed auto is a match made in heaven for this diesel engine, its just perfect.

In gear acceleration is all you ever need and the combination of that performance with 45mpg all day long economy is unbelievable. I managed a best of about 52 on a tank full which got me 620 miles back from Cornwall last weekend, and that was sitting at 80 most of the way. The torque still puts a smile on my face when you kick down the gearbox. The economy has definitely improved with mileage and the first service and I am now averaging about 47mpg in normal driving. I have never ever had less than 40 mpg from a tank. I think that is astonishing quite frankly given the performance on offer.

Find me another car with this performance, economy and engine note that doesn't really sound bad at all for a diesel ? I simply wouldn't trade off the economy and handling for X drive, I can count on one hand the number of times the traction control light has come on during the spring and summer months. Others may love X drive, I simply think you don't need it, especially without the M sport suspension.

I find the handling and ride to be fantastic. Never felt like I needed adaptive dampers, personally I think its just an added complication that can go wrong - for me the damping quality and suspension stiffness is perfect and given I drove the 330d back to back with the M235, S3, RS3, Golf R, Golf GTi on the same roads it was this compromise of ride and handling that stood out. I would urge anyone considering buying, to drive one on std M sport suspension first before everyone tells you adaptive is a "must have".

Dealer Service

I bought from Carrs in Bury St Ed's and they have been good to deal with. They took a couple of times to sort the drivers seat but always had a loan car available and the guys there are always up for a coffee and a chat.

I would buy from them again for sure given Cooper Norwich is my alternative.

Verdict

I have racked up 25k in the first year, a lot more than I would have thought. The 330d has ticked every box to be honest and I made the right choice of car for that mileage.

Its quick, handles well, reasonably well put together, well specced for the price, cheap to run, lots of space, comfortable, classy interior, great tech. It is one of those cars you could just jump in and drive 1000 miles no problem without thinking about it.

I wouldn't bother changing it for 335d performance to be honest, and I wouldn't have X drive. A 340i might be nice if I did lower mileage but for a diesel this car is so un-diesel like I have grown to like the tidal wave of torque you get.

Of all the cars I have owned, after 1 year this is the one I feel least likely to consider changing or getting rid of.

The burning question - would I change it and for what ?

That's a tough one. Its possible I might be getting a new job that would involve a lot less miles. Common logic would say go and trade it for a 340i or an M3 which would be nice. The I think about driving back from Bordeaux to Bury Sty Edmunds on a tank of diesel, the easy driveability of the engine and gearbox.

In a perfect world I would have the 330d as a daily drive and as many know, pondering about an M2 or Cayman. Trouble is the 330d interior looks and feels better and classier than the M2, so that would be annoying. I am still very undecided about paying £45k for a car that would be a lot of fun but much more compromised than the 330d which is nearly paid off.

Half of me is thinking whatever happens, I need a car like the 330d in my life ! I can keep it for many years, have it paid off fully in 12 months and use it for the long trips etc where it is the perfect weapon. One of the reasons I bought new this time was to spec my perfect car with the view to keeping it long term, and of course with the discounts, the only way to get value for money is buy what you want, keep it a long time.

So right now even if my mileage reduced I cant see me thinking about changing it... I am even toying with the idea of just buying a hot hatch like a Golf Gti or Leon Cupra to do the local mileages and keeping the 330d in great nic for several years to do the longer journeys.

Its a tough one, but I think I can honestly say the 330d is the best car in the real world and if I didn't have it, I know 100% several things would be severely missed about it. Its not often I buy a car and a year later go " there isn't anything I would change about this car"
      09-07-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Nice round up fella, I concur with most of it.

Main differences from your opinions to mine are:

Whilst the 6-pot diesel is refined it still grates on me. I don't do the miles you do so I'm back off to 6-pot petrol.

Adaptive is definitely not a must have, but I do miss it a bit from the old M135i, so I ticked that box again this time as it's not overly expensive.

I've had a loaner with HUD and I just wasn't amazed by it like some people. I'm sure if you use the nav loads it's really handy, but I don't tend to drive many places that I don't already know.

Build quality has been decent for me overall, I had one annoying rattle (more of a scraping sound like something was loose and rolling around) from behind the steering column for a while, but that just magically disappeared and has never come back!

Brilliant car overall though, but I won't be that sad to see it go.
      09-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

It does seem to be the sweetspot in the range all being said.

Surprised with the comment about the interior being classier than the M2. I can't honestly tell any difference in build quality or cabin ambience between my old 3 (and my 330 went it twice for dash vibrations) and my new M140.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:23 AM   #4
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
I had one annoying rattle (more of a scraping sound like something was loose and rolling around) from behind the steering column for a while, but that just magically disappeared and has never come back!
If it was anything like mine with less than 500 miles on the clock the heatshield protecting the steering column from the engine is silly close to the column and was catching on it. I had to bend mine back a bit and never had a problem again. A bit crap though!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #5
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Good write up op
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #6
Drisser
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
It does seem to be the sweetspot in the range all being said.

Surprised with the comment about the interior being classier than the M2. I can't honestly tell any difference in build quality or cabin ambience between my old 3 (and my 330 went it twice for dash vibrations) and my new M140.
not so much the build quality, but I think the overall impression from having the tan leather, ambient lighting in the doors, head up display etc.. It just feels like a classier place to be, but then its a different car..
      09-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #7
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Great review, thanks, and pretty much concur with everything you say altho I've got adaptive (ex demonstrator bought from BMW) and I like the comfort it adds on 19" RFTs
My only gripe with the F31 is the poor noise insulation, which is made so much worse by the state of our roads. Coming from a 5 series, this was the most noticeable difference. The car was a lot quieter when driving in France recently on a mix of rural back roads and motorways. For a developed country, some of our key routes are a disgrace - not enough tarmac, poor repairs and old technology in terms of surface noise when compared with NL, Germany and France
      09-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #8
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Well that 6 pot engine was the reason why I am in a bmw now even if I did end up with a 340. Cracking engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #9
Drisser
Major
Rep

Am with you there.. driving through France, no rattles or squeaks, little road noise. Back in blighty.. thought the car was falling apart !
      09-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

I concur OP...! I'm now at 76k miles 3.5yrs in and intend to keep running it to at least double that. Spec'd it from new so very happy with the kit on it, and it's so good at munching miles, it's now great relatively low cost motoring. I do find road noise quite loud but bearable...

Only mod I've made is MPSS tyres. Toyed with the idea of the PPK but concluded that the improvement would be marginal to what is already a strong engine, and if I just keep the car standard I can minimise the overall cost of it (insurance etc). As Drisser suggests, this frees up cash for a more interesting weekend car. This forum is a den of temptation when it comes to mods though! Great to see the impressive work that other members have put into their cars.
      09-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Good write up dude!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Superb write up, agree with it all (although I actually like Xdrive lol).

Agree on build quality.

Also it is a very hard car to replace.

I managed two trips to north Scotland last month and a load driving around Warwickshire, car never missed a beat.

Best / consistently mpg is 51mpg, which for an F31 Xdrive ain't bad, although my last Scotland trip was 32mpg lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
I had one annoying rattle (more of a scraping sound like something was loose and rolling around) from behind the steering column for a while, but that just magically disappeared and has never come back!
If it was anything like mine with less than 500 miles on the clock the heatshield protecting the steering column from the engine is silly close to the column and was catching on it. I had to bend mine back a bit and never had a problem again. A bit crap though!
Interesting. The steering column on mine is making a subtle grinding noise when the wheel is turned - will have a look at the heat shield this weekend.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #14
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Great write up Drisser

I'm nearly 2 years into mine and I agree with your sentiment completely. I'm still chuffed to bits with the car.

I also don't know what I'd replace it with. The Gxx 3 series probably, depending on their engine offerings.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

With the high discounts now on offer for the 535D M Sport, I have gone and ordered one for October, well specced and Individual.
Moonstone Paint with Cashmere Beige Merino leather.
Having the wheels painted dark metallic Grey before I get it.
Those comfort seats are the real deal IMO.
That could be some of you guys move IF you want value for money this year.
Next year the new 5 series is coming so NO discounts on that for while.
      09-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Great write up OP.

I am 15 months into my car and I still look forward to driving it every day. With other cars, I'm usually looking at what I can change it to!

It's just an all round car. It just does everything I ask of it on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #17
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Dude, I agree, great write up. Only had my 330d about 3 months and love it. Currently getting 40mpg on A Roads and around town and agree it's a joy to drive...especially when you give it some beans. Gotta love that Torque👍
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #18
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Interesting. The steering column on mine is making a subtle grinding noise when the wheel is turned - will have a look at the heat shield this weekend.
Sounds similar to what mine did. If you look down on the left side of the engine bay as you look at the car from the front, near the bottom by the rack there's a square joint with a heat shield. The corner of that square joint was rubbing on the heat shield. I did put a post on here with a pic of it, I'll see if I can dig it out....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #19
russellh
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d Msport.

2 months in to owning my 330d and im chuffed to bits with it. I hope it gives me years of happy motoring!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Sounds similar to what mine did. If you look down on the left side of the engine bay as you look at the car from the front, near the bottom by the rack there's a square joint with a heat shield. The corner of that square joint was rubbing on the heat shield. I did put a post on here with a pic of it, I'll see if I can dig it out....
Don' worry, I can picture exactly where you mean. Sounds like an easy fix.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Brilliant.

I love the 1 year on, or hand back reviews. So much more objective than the new car 'it's brilliant'.
      09-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Don' worry, I can picture exactly where you mean. Sounds like an easy fix.
Here you go just in case:

Appreciate 0