BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Nano ceramic or not?

09-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M2

Nano ceramic or not?

After what seems to be forever, my M2 has finally arrived in Kuwait. I initially ordered the car on April 5th and it arrived last week. I was supposed to receive it on Thursday but it turned out to be one of the cars with the diff-recall issue. Anyway, the part has been replaced and the car will be fitted tomorrow with a full hood xpel protection and window tint at the dealer. Hopefully I will be able to receive it tomorrow evening.

A friend of mine has a detailing shop which happens to be the same people that will do the xpel and tint. He offered me a great deal on coating the entire car with nano ceramic but the catch is I will have to take it to the shop and wait one more day. Stupid as it seems but that is one of the reasons I want to postpone this. I need to break in the engine in a couple of weeks because I'm planning for a track day and every day counts. Plus I really, really want to drive it.

Question, I was told the nano ceramic will be put on the entire car and on top of the xpel on the hood but less layers. Shouldn't the nano ceramic be added first then th expel? Also, any benefits from doing this immediately vs. waiting a couple of months?

Thanks,

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 572
Size:  249.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

Am not sure but you should not do any treatment before wrapping it!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

You can't put a hydrophobic coating like this on the paint before protection film like Xpel. It will reduce / prevent the film from adhering to the car properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:19 AM   #4
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glounk View Post
Am not sure but you should not do any treatment before wrapping it!!!!!
Makes sense, thanks. I see you're in Qatar. Any plans of tracking the car anytime soon? I've never been on the track in Qatar but the Qatar mile was real fun and very well organized.

I'm planning on attending the open track in Bahrain on the 30th.
Appreciate 1
Glounk115.00
      09-05-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
You can't put a hydrophobic coating like this on the paint before protection film like Xpel. It will reduce / prevent the film from adhering to the car properly.
Thank you. Any idea if it's okay to wait before applying the nano ceramic or I'm better off doing this now. I'm worried if the color starts to fade and starts having those circles from washing etc. Can that be polished out and then treat the car with nano ceramic?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #6
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Makes sense, thanks. I see you're in Qatar. Any plans of tracking the car anytime soon? I've never been on the track in Qatar but the Qatar mile was real fun and very well organized.

I'm planning on attending the open track in Bahrain on the 30th.

- I'd love to but didn't recieve my car yet and not sure when it will be delivred .
- This is a great idea, thanks MYK, it will be a cool experience as i've never been on a race track before now i am more in hurry than ever
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK
Quote:
Thank you. Any idea if it's okay to wait before applying the nano ceramic or I'm better off doing this now. I'm worried if the color starts to fade and starts having those circles from washing etc. Can that be polished out and then treat the car with nano ceramic?
You can put put the coating on immediately. If you don't, you just increase your chances of putting swirls into the areas of paint not covered by the Xpel.

But if you use good wash techniques you can minimize the swirling, which can easily be polished out later before coating
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glounk View Post
- I'd love to but didn't recieve my car yet and not sure when it will be delivred .
- This is a great idea, thanks MYK, it will be a cool experience as i've never been on a race track before now i am more in hurry than ever
Yup, I'm sure with the M2 it will be a great experience. Good luck! Funny enough when I was at the dealer yesterday I saw an M4 GTS and was told it was the only one and it went to the owner of the dealership. He also told me there were people calling from Qatar also calling and inquiring as they too only got one.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
You can put put the coating on immediately. If you don't, you just increase your chances of putting swirls into the areas of paint not covered by the Xpel.

But if you use good wash techniques you can minimize the swirling, which can easily be polished out later before coating
Exactly what I was hoping to hear, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Yup, I'm sure with the M2 it will be a great experience. Good luck! Funny enough when I was at the dealer yesterday I saw an M4 GTS and was told it was the only one and it went to the owner of the dealership. He also told me there were people calling from Qatar also calling and inquiring as they too only got one.
-Haven't seen any arround (M4 GTS)
- i opted for dealer full wrap service........don't ask wat brand is, i don't know yet, just been told that is the top of what i could get no XPEL installer here.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I think doing a nano coating is worth the wait. They will put it over the expel and of course on the painted surfaces and that will help prevent swirls. I live in a desert environment also so I consider these products as essential to protecting a new car in these conditions.
Appreciate 0