F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Parked car (doh!!).....next steps
Studio RSR

08-31-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
kiwifiz
Not so new member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport +pack

Parked car hit (doh!) .....next steps.

Hello team. Came back to a note on my car (parked on the street outside work) last night acknowledging scrape of rear bumper with contact details. Says he's fully insured. Got "lucky" I guess in at least someone's been honest enough to leave details! Will call them this morning to discuss

I'm insured with BMW. Anyone had experience in dealing with them in a no fault scenario? Call then first and let them deal with it? Any advice much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Call the other driver 1st, if she was good enough to be honest and leave a note then you should give her the courtesy of speaking with you before the insurance companies get involved. She may want to try and settle without claiming on her insurance
Appreciate 3
kiwifiz10.50
BnB179.50
moonshine849.00
      08-31-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Chrismac13
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i

Looks expensive. Probably a new bumper at the very least
      08-31-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Ouch!!!

A new bumper is over £700 unpainted, so you are looking at over a grand.

I would get the other parties insurance details and contact them direct. They usually bend over backwards to sort it all out for you.

For gods sake don't go to a management company who will do the admin for a hefty fee. The reason our insurance rates are rising
Appreciate 3
      08-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #5
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

^^^
What she says . Don't let those blood suckers near any claim!

Good luck with sorting it OP.
Appreciate 1
kiwifiz10.50
      08-31-2016, 03:21 AM   #6
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismac13 View Post
Looks expensive. Probably a new bumper at the very least
I wouldn't say that's a new bumper though to be fair?

I had a similar scrape on my M135i rear bumper and a body shop repaired and resprayed the whole bumper for £ 250.00 + VAT.

The repair/respray was perfect and mines glacier silver (so I was worried the silver might be difficult to match).
      08-31-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
kiwifiz
Not so new member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all for comments so far.

So a possible dilemma as I see it is that as car is under warranty, so obviously needs BMW approved bodyshop, who as I understand it are obliged to notify BMW so as not to affect warranty (true/bolocks??).....not something that can be done without involving my insurance, which is through BMW itself. Weirdly have managed to avoid a non fault car insurance claim to date so it's all an unfamiliar process.

So plan is to contact the person, get the rest of their details.....explain this situation and then pass on to BMW insurance to sort. With toddler and new baby and commuting from Warwickshire to London for work I ideally really don't have time to be chasing things independently. Life is very busy at the moment and this is a bonus headache I could have done without.....And then there's the insurance premium implications. :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 04:21 AM   #8
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

Imagine how you would have felt if the person did a hit and run. You are fortunate that the person that hit your car has some moral and ethical principles. Have you tried speaking with them first?

I'd say a decent insurance approved bodyshop would be able to take care of that bumper and have it looking like new again. Personally, I'd prefer not to involve insurance/BMW if possible to try and save you going out of pocket as a result of the situation. If the repair costs are too high or the other party wish to go through insurance, that's a different matter.
      08-31-2016, 04:37 AM   #9
kiwifiz
Not so new member
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes realise this is a fortunate result in the honest person....but as explained if done within warranty I need to use a BMW approved bodyshop who are obliged to notify BMW....who my insurance is with. So in theory no option to go "outside" of the process even if I wanted too.

Damage a bit clearer after a wipe and a bit of daylight[IMG][/IMG] on the scene

Apologies I know this is a dull post.....just so helpful to tap into the collective experience/knowledge of the group.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 04:52 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just to be clear.....you do not need to go to a BMW bodyshop to maintain any BMW warranty. That concept is pure internet BS. It would be illegal for BMW to insist on such.

As I said earlier, it is worth contacting the third parties insurance company. They will bend over backwards to resolve this without your insurance company getting involved. Yours will up the cost significantly to the other with their involvement. The other person has admitted fault, so it's not going to 'go bad' on you.

You can choose who repairs your car, so you are not losing control there either.

I would get an estimate from the company you want to repair your car. That may well be a BMW bodyshop if you prefer, and give the information to the 3rd party. Ask them what they want to do, and go from there. As their car is most likely going to need repairs too, I imagine the chances are good that it becomes an insurance job, which they will inform their company about. You just phone their insurance company up and ask what steps you need to take to get your car repaired where you want it repaired.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:05 AM   #11
mpawood
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xDrive M Sport

Looks like just a respray for me, and Estoril Blue is one of the cheaper ones. I'd go to the place you want it fixed at and get a quote, then pass on the quote to the third party first and ask if they'd like to settle it without insurance. Best you both sign something agreeing as such, and that you won't pursue further claims etc once it is fixed.

If the third party wants to put it through insurance then you should just be able to give the body shop your own insurance details and it'll be sorted.

It won't affect your premium as a non fault claim so don't worry about that. Regardless of whether or not you go through insurance you are supposed to tell your insurance company about the incident anyway.
Appreciate 1
kiwifiz10.50
      08-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #12
Chrismac13
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
I wouldn't say that's a new bumper though to be fair?

I had a similar scrape on my M135i rear bumper and a body shop repaired and resprayed the whole bumper for £ 250.00 + VAT.

The repair/respray was perfect and mines glacier silver (so I was worried the silver might be difficult to match).
1st photo looked like the bumper was split around the parking sensor, much clearer on the 2nd one, doesnt look too bad.
kiwifiz10.50
      08-31-2016, 06:25 AM   #13
kiwifiz
Not so new member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Just to be clear.....you do not need to go to a BMW bodyshop to maintain any BMW warranty. That concept is pure internet BS. It would be illegal for BMW to insist on such.
Thanks NISFAN....was talking about BMW approved bodyshops rather than a dealership Bodyshop. We have a couple locally as options...the key implication being the use of genuine BMW parts (if needed) and accurate colour matching.

Hadn't considered local Dealer Rybrook's on assumption they would be a pricier option but perhaps thats not fair. Any Warwickshire locals experiences with Rybrooks, PL Carbodies in Warwick and Listers Paint and body centre in Coventry appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 06:26 AM   #14
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH View Post
Call the other driver 1st, if she was good enough to be honest and leave a note then you should give her the courtesy of speaking with you before the insurance companies get involved. She may want to try and settle without claiming on her insurance
I love the fact that even though the OP uses "he", you automatically switch to "she".
Appreciate 2
kiwifiz10.50
philiper1770.50
      08-31-2016, 07:04 AM   #15
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I love the fact that even though the OP uses "he", you automatically switch to "she".
Genuine mistake, my dyslexia at its worst/best. I did go back and re-read to make sure and still got is wrong. Oh well shit happens, at least it gives you something to comment on, you love picking up on peoples mistakes don't you
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #16
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Genuine mistake, my dyslexia at its worst/best. I did go back and re-read to make sure and still got is wrong. Oh well shit happens, at least it gives you something to comment on, you love picking up on peoples mistakes don't you

Oh FFS, it was a light hearted comment on the fact that a gender neutral post about a parking mishap was immediately turned into it being a woman at fault. It wasn't an attack on you making a mistake, Jesus. :roll eyes:

It's ironic that the post was about parking, and I found it quite funny, hence the words "LOVE THE FACT".

Seriously, how the f*** do you get on in life being so bloody sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
BGB
President of ELMOC
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330D xdrive Touring Luxury

my mrs dinked my last car and if it wasnt for the broken light the bumper repair was only going to be £200 from a local bodyshop. the fact the light was broken and a BMW replacement was £400 i put it through insurance and paid the £150 excess.

as someone prev mentioned the other party might want to pay for it out of insurance depending on costs and their excess.

2015 F31 330D Xdrive Touring Luxury.
1977 Leyland Clubman 998
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #18
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh FFS, it was a light hearted comment on the fact that a gender neutral post about a parking mishap was immediately turned into it being a woman at fault. It wasn't an attack on you making a mistake, Jesus. :roll eyes:

It's ironic that the post was about parking, and I found it quite funny, hence the words "LOVE THE FACT".

Seriously, how the f*** do you get on in life being so bloody sensitive.
Oh dear, it seems you're the one being a little sensitive I did stick a wink face at the end of my comment to try and show it wasn't that serious.

I'm not upset, don't worry about me. Hope I haven't stopped you from getting on with your life today <--note the light hearted wink face right here
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #19
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh dear, it seems you're the one being a little sensitive I did stick a wink face at the end of my comment to try and show it wasn't that serious.

I'm not upset, don't worry about me. Hope I haven't stopped you from getting on with your life today <--note the light hearted wink face right here
The "wink" smiley certainly does not come across as making a post "light-hearted". A does. A "wink" smiley is more dismissive than anything. And the rest of your post comes as across as someone genuinely offended. Which I think you were.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #20
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:

There's a lot of winkers on here

08-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The "wink" smiley certainly does not come across as making a post "light-hearted". A does. A "wink" smiley is more dismissive than anything. And the rest of your post comes as across as someone genuinely offended. Which I think you were.
OK misunderstanding between us, I don't want to hijack the thread anymore, lets move on if that's ok with you
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #22
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifiz View Post
Thanks NISFAN....was talking about BMW approved bodyshops rather than a dealership Bodyshop. We have a couple locally as options...the key implication being the use of genuine BMW parts (if needed) and accurate colour matching.
When I needed a paint repair done, BMW said to me the paint shop only needs to be "insurance approved", not necessarily a BMW approved body shop. Apparently something to do with the insurance company approval processes being "rigorous"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpawood View Post
It won't affect your premium as a non fault claim so don't worry about that. Regardless of whether or not you go through insurance you are supposed to tell your insurance company about the incident anyway.
It will affect your premium.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Appreciate 0