E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just bought a rebuilt 335i, looking for mods

08-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i 08

Just bought a rebuilt 335i, looking for mods

As of a week today I bought a 2008 bmw 335i (rebuilt) smh for 6000$ in looking to start basic modding,plus a couple small things like tune up. I'm pretty new to the BMW community and wondering if some of you more experienced cat, could give me a few pointers and tips, suggestions ect, it's pretty well rebuilt pretty much everything is new besides the engine itself, will post pics any advice would be appreciated!
YW single turbo kit twin scroll on a garret gtx 6466
Jb4 and mhd custom backend, anti lag chip
ER charge pipe, inter cooler and HKS BO
STAGE 3 xhp single turbo trans flash
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Get a walnut blast, change the fluids, have any recalls done, basic maintenance as needed, swap to non run flat tires, get a tune, then go from there. Decide your budget, goals, then research.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Do you want 425hp, 500, 600, 700, more? Handling, braking, aesthetics. It can all be done with money. What do you want?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Walnut blast may or may not need to be done depends on if it was done when rebuilt and miles. If it wasnt, it can add almost as much to a car as a tune in robbed power.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply my freind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
Get a walnut blast, change the fluids, have any recalls done, basic maintenance as needed, swap to non run flat tires, get a tune, then go from there. Decide your budget, goals, then research.
Goals are short term right now everything is stock I want to get atleast to 450 here in the next couple months, budget is tight but no too tight, I want to walnut blast but can't find a good place in my area, I did sea foam but idk if that stuff really works. Right now have new tires non run flat new brakes oil change and just had the dealer replace the water pump so now I guess the fluids and the plugs maybe ignition coils, looking to get a good and cost effective intake, down pipes and then a tune, then go from there cosmetically looking for new halo led and other things not to sure yet(which iswhy I'm asking lol) but that's a rough idea is what I'm looking for right now atleast
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Jtone, you came to the right place for help in spending your money. Think of us as the saleswoman in a boutique clothing store that immediately gets the wifey a glass of wine and talks both her and the bill up. So how much have you got?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

Oh yea and some good new wheels, stock 18"s aren't really to my liking want forged becouse I know the perks that come with have a lighter set but I don't think I can afford them new
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Forged aren't worth the money. Do the power first. 450 is fbo, full bolt on. Charge pipe with bov, catless downpipes, inlets, 7" fmic, tune. I'd get flow forged. Almost the same and cheaper. I got a set of 19s Avant-garde staggard with custom offsets for $1450.
Halos look at lux and cree 160w. Intake is basically worthless except as a noise maker or dressing up under the hood. Depending on what inlet's you opt for its included. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

A good 3 grand to start, plan I keeping this car for a while,been wanting this car since it came out, so it's a pretty emotional time for me(in a good way,I'm only 20 lol), so looking for mods that will not will preferably not effect it's longevity and also some that will keep it running longer and get the most out of this bad boy end goal would be a unique looking bimmer with at least 475whp
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forged aren't worth the money. Do the power first. 450 is fbo, full bolt on. Charge pipe with bov, catless downpipes, inlets, 7" fmic, tune. I'd get flow forged. Almost the same and cheaper. I got a set of 19s Avant-garde staggard with custom offsets for $1450.
Halos look at lux and cree 160w. Intake is basically worthless except as a noise maker or dressing up under the hood. Depending on what inlet's you opt for its included. Hope that helps.
Yes it does bro I was thinking FBO was going to be the most recommended thing and yea wheel wise I think I'll do the same as you I heard good things about avant, and that's a reasonable price, yea I guess I'll pass on the intakes for now and go with a good drop filter, what's a good brand or website to start getting a start on the bolt ons? Or should I look in to get them on here maybe new or used from somone on here
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to mention it has stock exhaust but cat delete I haven't got under it yet, but it's loud but not very pleasant in sound quality, it's weird here's some pics[IMG][/IMG] will post pics of the engine bay and more body pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

nice. I just achieved fbo. mmp relocation inlets, mmp silicone outlet, vrsf intercooler, vrsf exhaust, vrsf downpipes, cp-e charge pipe with tial bov, jb4, BMS meth kit. also got m factory LSD. I'd say in parts it's about 4k. that's without labor. but you can find used cheaper parts on the for sale section. also don't recommend exhaust cuz that was like 800$ and really no gains. maybe like 10 HP and 50lbs lighter. just throw vibrant resonators to quiet your exhaust. I did all my installs except for the LSD.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtone View Post
(rebuilt) smh
Don't understand the smh part; did you not know it was rebuilt before you bought it or something?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Forged aren't worth the money. I'd get flow forged. Almost the same and cheaper. I got a set of 19s Avant-garde staggard with custom offsets for $1450.
Doesn't mean they aren't worth the money if you don't see why. Also, flow-formed.
Cheaper, yes. Better than cast, yes. Your Avant Gardes are not the same as forged.

To the OP, congrats on the purchase. My advice, save the 3k for rainy day. You bought a rebuilt car, and not to scare you but it might be needed for bringing it back to showroom condition.

Find out what has been done to the car and read up on HPFPs, water pumps, and wastegate rattles. Figure out if the car has an oil cooler to help with high temps, or has seen a walnut blast as fuel doesn't flow over the valves on these cars. Learn how to do the spark plugs and coilpacks, and consider a charge pipe before adding some power. Tunes are easily done and not expensive.

Learn your platform and what you bought first. There are "sticky" threads and tons of info here, if you search.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
As of a week today I bought a 2008 bmw 335i (rebuilt) smh for 6000$ in looking to start basic modding,plus a couple small things like tune up. I'm pretty new to the BMW community and wondering if some of you more experienced cat, could give me a few pointers and tips, suggestions ect, it's pretty well rebuilt pretty much everything is new besides the engine itself, will post pics any advice would be appreciated!
Congrats!!

Check out the vendor section for combo deals and of course the vendor review section for highly rated shops.

Let me know what are your power goals, how often you plan on tracking the car and i can recommend mods

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #16
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_power4ever
nice. I just achieved fbo. mmp relocation inlets, mmp silicone outlet, vrsf intercooler, vrsf exhaust, vrsf downpipes, cp-e charge pipe with tial bov, jb4, BMS meth kit. also got m factory LSD. I'd say in parts it's about 4k. that's without labor. but you can find used cheaper parts on the for sale section. also don't recommend exhaust cuz that was like 800$ and really no gains. maybe like 10 HP and 50lbs lighter. just throw vibrant resonators to quiet your exhaust. I did all my installs except for the LSD.
Thanks!Congrats bro , I bet it feels good I got a long way to go my freind my freind but I think I'll take your advice on the exhaust, and that's less or more the set up in going for and I also plan on doing the work myself I'm looking for a good Indy for the rest!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #17
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94
Quote:
(rebuilt) smh
Don't understand the smh part; did you not know it was rebuilt before you bought it or something?
Yes I figured due to the price the there was no frame damage or salvage sticker or title but I later learned through I local shop when they looked the vin that was in fact a rebuild it was kind of impulse I but I new it had to have been rebuilt fucked up I learned after the fact , but oh well I knew what I was getting into I mean the car drives good, no frame or stuctual damage and it runs good and looks good aswell, I plan on restoring it to full glory and FBO. So in short Yea kind of.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #18
Jtone
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Quote:
Forged aren't worth the money. I'd get flow forged. Almost the same and cheaper. I got a set of 19s Avant-garde staggard with custom offsets for $1450.
Doesn't mean they aren't worth the money if you don't see why. Also, flow-formed.
Cheaper, yes. Better than cast, yes. Your Avant Gardes are not the same as forged.

To the OP, congrats on the purchase. My advice, save the 3k for rainy day. You bought a rebuilt car, and not to scare you but it might be needed for bringing it back to showroom condition.

Find out what has been done to the car and read up on HPFPs, water pumps, and wastegate rattles. Figure out if the car has an oil cooler to help with high temps, or has seen a walnut blast as fuel doesn't flow over the valves on these cars. Learn how to do the spark plugs and coilpacks, and consider a charge pipe before adding some power. Tunes are easily done and not expensive.

Learn your platform and what you bought first. There are "sticky" threads and tons of info here, if you search.
Thanks zero, yea I agree taking it in tommorow to an Indy I've never been to but has good review so I'll know more about the exact condition of the everything tommorow, i kno I fair but so far the hpfp has been replace as so the WP and as far as tune up(spark plugs ect) and simple maintenance I plan on getting additional tools and doing myself, but I know with a rebuild things will go a lot more often then not , I do want to start doing some basic mods and such, but as suck is like the get the car in good showroom condition like you said and get it healthy before anything, walnut blast,diagnosis on things that might be worn or going wrong the car does have its quirks somtimes but thanks for the advice man im going to try to focus on getting the basics right first
Ps the car does have an oem oil cooler
I've been on here literally all day since I got the car really helpful and learning a lot not to mention the people on here for the most part are real stand up down to earth dudes,I apreciate guys really
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post

Forged aren't worth the money because bang for the buck you get little out of them. He has 3k to spend. You want him to get forged wheels and nothing else, or fbo and some cast wheels that are better than oem? Chathe pipe is pretty useless until you get beyondd a base tune and start going over 14 psi.
Here's your order for power upgrades
Any maintenance.
Tune
Dp (done)
Charge pipe with bov
Fmic
Inlets

Do the other stuff, wheels, halos, etc when you want. They don't depend on a progression.

Finally, vendors here are great. Mike, jeff, etc. Got to the vendor section. As for brand, that's personal choice. Stay away from ebay junk. Vendors app pretty much carry quality stuff. Personally for me, vrsf is great bang for the buck in most cases. Other stuff may look better or work 10% better, but it'll cost twice as much or more. Do your research. Pick what you think is best for your goals and budget. If you reach 450+, I highly suggest addressing the chassis, especially if you intend to go above that. Suspension, LSD, brakes, etc. Good luck and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #20
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Hmmm....I would take 2k and deposit it directly into your "unexpected n54 repairs" account, then take the leftover 1k and get a tune, fmic, and cp to start.
puppydax146.50
      08-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #21
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Forged aren't worth the money because bang for the buck you get little out of them. He has 3k to spend. You want him to get forged wheels and nothing else, or fbo and some cast wheels that are better than oem? Chathe pipe is pretty useless until you get beyondd a base tune and start going over 14 psi.
I wasn't even considering the OP's first round when discussing wheels. But your rant is general, not targeted to him. If you don't realize the differences between Flow Formed and Forged, then don't advocate.

No point in having a tuned 335i if it's parked due to a broken charge pipe. It's a weak point on the car, so it's a better strategy to address those first before building up power.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

We've been in the community since 2008 if you have any questions. There's a lot to learn and lot to know. Plenty of stuff to sift through and information to take with a grain of salt.

Happy modding!
Appreciate 0