F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 8 speed box
GetBMWParts

08-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

8 speed box

I have been using manual and sport mode a lot more recently even for short trips as the auto box is irritating me lately. As I do a lot of short trips I tend to leave it in comfort until engine is warm but its getting annoying kicking down all the time (as you would expect with 8 gears I know) when I need a quick burst.

It made for a bit of oppo action and tc kicking in the other day on a wet road as it clearly thought I had requested warp speed but I hadnt stomped on the pedal bu any means.

Hopefully just a phase im going through!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I've been through all this in my 330d, and the power is nowhere near as smooth as the 40i. So, probably worse.

If you need to go quick, just override the comfort mode by either:
Using the paddles, temporary override.
Stick left, sports gearbox and brakes driver adaptation.
Selecting sport mode.

Kick down and particularly unexpected mid corner downshifts are the drawbacks of an auto box. You just have to learn your work-arounds...

The car seems to need these more when not fully up to temperature. Once at full operating temp it seems to just work better...
      08-27-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
Kiddy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Yep if I know I'm approaching a junction etc when kick down is not necessary/appropriate I knock it down a click or two and just use smooth power rather than full on kick down
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Kick down and particularly unexpected mid corner downshifts are the drawbacks of an auto box. You just have to learn your work-arounds...
Agree on the work-arounds, if we want a particular gear or change point. As the gearbox is reactive, we sometimes know what we want, before the driving conditions/environment inputs, trigger the appropriate shifts.

For the OP, (and anyone else that's interested) one thing we have to keep in mind it isn't just how much throttle we apply, but how fast we apply it as well.

It is not simply kick-down that gets multiple shifts, "kick-fast" also changes the shift parameters. It's similar to brake evaluation, where 'threshold' evaluation takes place as in kick-fast. How we apply the throttle can limit to single changes, or instigate multiple shifts.
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Agree on the work-arounds, if we want a particular gear or change point. As the gearbox is reactive, we sometimes know what we want, before the driving conditions/environment inputs, trigger the appropriate shifts.

For the OP, (and anyone else that's interested) one thing we have to keep in mind it isn't just how much throttle we apply, but how fast we apply it as well.

It is not simply kick-down that gets multiple shifts, "kick-fast" also changes the shift parameters. It's similar to brake evaluation, where 'threshold' evaluation takes place as in kick-fast. How we apply the throttle can limit to single changes, or instigate multiple shifts.
this, with clever use of the accelerator you can select gears in auto without using the paddles. or you can live in manual like me and have complete control and use that box and it's bands to their full potential
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
greer4411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i M Sport

One reason i chose 6MT this time on my 440i ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
butch_
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

That's very useful information, thanks.

I've found driving in Sport to be more comfortable than Comfort due to the unexpected multiple shift down of the box
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

Another vote for simply using Sport mode for a quick overtake. The difference in throttle response and gear changes is very marked in my 330d. One of the reasons I didn't get on with a D3 I had on test was that the distinction between Comfort and Sport was nowhere near as marked, which meant that (ironically) the car didn't feel as quick as my 330d.
      08-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I have been using manual and sport mode a lot more recently even for short trips as the auto box is irritating me lately. As I do a lot of short trips I tend to leave it in comfort until engine is warm but its getting annoying kicking down all the time (as you would expect with 8 gears I know) when I need a quick burst.

It made for a bit of oppo action and tc kicking in the other day on a wet road as it clearly thought I had requested warp speed but I hadnt stomped on the pedal bu any means.

Hopefully just a phase im going through!
Sport+ in manual prevents the kickdown. Simples. There is no harm putting a cold engine in Sport+ and the driver taking the initiative and being sensible with the loud pedal until s/he thinks it's warm enough. It does give quicker/sharper shifts but unless you also unleash all the horses at once it will do no harm to your cold gearbox. Also, booting in any mode gives the full force available eventually anyway so even in "eco slow" you could thrash a cold engine by booting the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I agree with most of the above. I just wish I'd gone for a manual personally...
Appreciate 0