E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Single Turbo Kit Recommendations

08-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Mario54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Single Turbo Kit Recommendations

Hello guys

I'm currently driving a stock 2008 335i (Auto), and planning to jump directly to a single Turbo setup. I'll upgrade my LPFP, and intercooler before i order a turbo kit. But i am having a very hard time finding the perfect kit. As most of the kits seems like they are discontinued, and the rest have fitment issues.

I would love to have a decent kit with quality parts and perfect fitment, and at the same time have a great value.

Looking forward to see what you guys have in mind.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

You should not go single if you can't even do the simple research....

There have been at least 5 single turbo threads in the last week
Appreciate 2
TrollToll654.00
      08-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Mario54
Private
Rep

You think i didn't read any of these threads? I actually did, and didn't find what i am looking for in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
msjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario54 View Post
You think i didn't read any of these threads? I actually did, and didn't find what i am looking for in there.
There's nothing anyone is going to tell you that's not already in those threads..... Get docrace if we must spoonfeed you
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Mario54
Private
Rep

Appreciate you spoonfeeding me.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

MOTIV. Go get it boy..
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

I'd say docrace from what I've read. that's what I would go with at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

If you plan to do it yourself and you are mechanically and electrically inclined then you can do any kit.
If you are going to have someone install it then pick doc race, VM, or any other that has better fitment and all parts. The last thing you want is your car sitting in a bay paying daily for parts to arrive or refitting badly assembled parts.

Also you need JB4 G5 with single turbo firmware to control the mac solenoid.
You need jb4 backend flash to control extra fuel and more.
      08-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

There are a lot of good options these days depending on your preferences. ( Like spool, high hp, top mount, twin scroll, price range, etc...)

If I were going single I would highly consider AD engineering, motiv or docrace. They usually get the best reviews and have the least amount of problems.

I'm still having fun with my twin hybrids. I'm a spool addict with a 6AT, so I don't need anymore than 650rwhp.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:59 AM   #10
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
If you plan to do it yourself and you are mechanically and electrically inclined then you can do any kit.
If you are going to have someone install it then pick doc race, VM, or any other that has better fitment and all parts. The last thing you want is your car sitting in a bay paying daily for parts to arrive or refitting badly assembled parts.

I appreciate your detailed reply Mposter. You mean by VM (Ventura Motorsports)?
I will be having a shop do the installation on my car (going to be first ST swap in the nation). Yeah im currently considering the JB4 purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #11
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
There are a lot of good options these days depending on your preferences. ( Like spool, high hp, top mount, twin scroll, price range, etc...)

If I were going single I would highly consider AD engineering, motiv or docrace. They usually get the best reviews and have the least amount of problems.

I'm still having fun with my twin hybrids. I'm a spool addict with a 6AT, so I don't need anymore than 650rwhp.
When i was checking AD engineering kit i didnt like the setup. Prefer the top mounted turbo setup.

Seems like docrace is the one to go with. Lets hope my Auto transmission wont blow up anytime soon lol.

Plan is to have the auto trans swapped with a manual after i have the turbo kit and needed parts like intercooler, fueling aids fitted.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #12
JTswole83
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

False. You do not need jb4 for single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #13
R.G.
Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTswole83
Quote:

Yep
You do NOT need a piggy to run a ST and control the Mac solenoid
6 months ago you did
      08-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #14
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G.
Quote:
Quote:

Yep
6 months ago you did
I did not find any thread stating that was resolved without JB4. What I did find all the way back to 2013 was that the jb4 controls the Mac solenoid (20hz )at a different HZ signal than the DME provides (200hz).
It was also recommended to NOT use the OEM boost solenoid because they fail OPEN and would cause you to over boost.
Could you please clarify where you found the information that it is okay to use OEM boost solenoid or not use a JB4?
      08-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

I think it all depends on what your budget is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #16
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
I did not find any thread stating that was resolved without JB4. What I did find all the way back to 2013 was that the jb4 controls the Mac solenoid (20hz )at a different HZ signal than the DME provides (200hz).
It was also recommended to NOT use the OEM boost solenoid because they fail OPEN and would cause you to over boost.
Could you please clarify where you found the information that it is okay to use OEM boost solenoid or not use a JB4?

That's interesting i also didn't know that you can control the Mac solenoid using the stock ECU. Would love to hear some feedback
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #17
R.G.
Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G.
Quote:
Quote:

Yep
6 months ago you did
I found the information under my hood

Motiv can control the Mac with flash only
      08-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #18
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

You can control the mac solenoid with flash assuming you use their control box.

As for the OP, I'm not sure what you mean by 'no kits seem to have everything'. VM (the kit I run) includes everything necessary to install the kit and is of tip-top quality. All you need to provide is a tuning solution (and potentially fueling mods if you want to run E85). I used MHD+JB4 as its easier, cheaper, and more convenient for me to use. They recently as of a few months ago had a drastic price reduction as well.
      08-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #19
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep

I think it all depends on what your budget is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #20
Mario54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
You can control the mac solenoid with flash assuming you use their control box.

As for the OP, I'm not sure what you mean by 'no kits seem to have everything'. VM (the kit I run) includes everything necessary to install the kit and is of tip-top quality. All you need to provide is a tuning solution (and potentially fueling mods if you want to run E85). I used MHD+JB4 as its easier, cheaper, and more convenient for me to use. They recently as of a few months ago had a drastic price reduction as well.

Thanks for your input Sered. I've narrowed it down to either a VM or docrace kit. I think i would prefer going yhr jb4 + MHD route as having all the bells and whistles from yhr jb4 is for sure a nice thing to have!

I noticed that VM website is no more available....
Mind me asking what turbo are you running? I think when I'm ready to pull the trigger on my kit I'll be going with either a 6266 gen2 or a 6466.

Last edited by Mario54; 08-27-2016 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #21
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario54
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post

When i was checking AD engineering kit i didnt like the setup. Prefer the top mounted turbo setup.

Seems like docrace is the one to go with. Lets hope my Auto transmission wont blow up anytime soon lol.

Plan is to have the auto trans swapped with a manual after i have the turbo kit and needed parts like intercooler, fueling aids fitted.
It's all about preference... I don't blame you for wanting a top mount over a bottom mount kit. Just remember there are trade offs.

The top mount looks amazing but has issues with burning/melting things... Engine cover, valve cover, a/c lines etc.

If it's between the vm kit and doc race, then it comes down to price. The better kit is doc race but it costs more...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #22
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep

Doc Racing kit I believe still has a $1K discount on one of the forums, putting it just under $5K.
Appreciate 0