THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Interior wood trim detailing and general care

08-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Interior wood trim detailing and general care

Hey guys. My new 2 series has the fine line wood trim which I was dead set on getting as an option even back in 2014 when I first glanced my eyes on the 2 series debut car.

There's a lot of surface there on the dash and that means lots of scratches and swirls can appear right before your eyes. My car is brand new and has approximately 600 miles on it right now. Its less than 2 weeks old. Still I got it with scratches and sticky residue on the black plastic area on the glove box. The sticky residue was quickly removed with goo gone gel spray.

The scratches looked like something was dragged across the wood trim. Luckily I removed most of the scratches last week with Griots plastic polish. The scratching was not deep and practically came out. Still faint traces of it remained along with some stray swirls.
Since then I did some research and was pleased to learn that the wood trims are coated with a clear coat (just like our exteriors). You can essentially use a regular car polish on the clear and wax it afterwards.
Tonight I did a second round of detailing on the wood trim after I noticed another scratch from a EZ PASS device I was holding and then bobbling in the interior. It was getting dark but that didn't stop me from using a more involved detail of the wood trim. I used proper micro diaper scratch free towels for light buffing and a microfiber towel/applicator combo to apply and buff.

Applied Products used:

-Meguairs Mirror Glaze #17 clear plastic cleaner (a polish and cleaner)
-Meguairs Mirror Glaze # 18 clear plastic detailer (used as lubricant n final wipe)

I also had NuFinish Scratch Dr. with me in the car but didn't have to use it because the #17 did the job.

I didn't glaze and wax the wood trims yet but will probably do it soon enough.
I'm probably going to use Meguairs Mirror Glaze #7 Show car glaze Polish and Car Groom #24 Yellow Carnauba Liquid Wax -- Both these products are 100% free of abrasives and offer no cleaning ability. Perfect stuff to use.

After I get done with the new car prep on my car I'll post some photos of everything I've done with this wood trim detailing and care.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Glad you got the scratches out. One thing I would recommend is switching from microfibers to the Rag Company Platinum Pluffle weave towels. I had some fairly expensive microfibers I bought from Detailer's Domain and the pluffle towels make them feel like sandpaper. It's the only thing I'll use on my high gloss black trim and instrument cluster.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Glad you got the scratches out. One thing I would recommend is switching from microfibers to the Rag Company Platinum Pluffle weave towels. I had some fairly expensive microfibers I bought from Detailer's Domain and the pluffle towels make them feel like sandpaper. It's the only thing I'll use on my high gloss black trim and instrument cluster.
I'll make sure I get those! Thanks!
I bet it would make using my interior cleaning products even easier.
I also plan on getting some swissvax interior microfiber towels for perhaps more involved interior cleaning.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #4
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Do you know if other trims are finished the same way (clear coat)?
Appreciate 0