THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Trunklid Spoiler Install Issues?

08-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Trunklid Spoiler Install Issues?

So I got an Exotics Tuning (EXO Style) trunklid spoiler from eBay for my M235. Issue I'm having is with the installation. I am using double sided tape, claybaring the area, wiping it down with isopropyl, heating the tape and then sticking and applying pressure. Originally I placed the tape too close to the edges which caused it to lift in places. So I reinstalled the wing twice now, and every time the wing never really attaches completely. I've used two different types of double sided tape, 3M heavy duty tape for 30lbs+ and 3M automotive acrylic plus tape, neither has solved my problem. I've rubbed my fingers raw removing double sided tape and it has actually started pulling tiny flecks of clear off the underside of the wing (so I know the tape sticks). So yesterday I installed for the third time (with tape only in the middle of wing away from edges), had my buddy put all his weight on one edge and I was on the other edge. I clamped it overnight and taped it down also. This morning the wing is down perfectly on one side.... and slightly lifted on the other side (to where I can see light reflecting under the wing). This install has been an absolute nightmare and I really don't want to take the wing off and try again. I'm thinking that the wing is warped and it just doesn't want to conform to the shape of the trunk. With that being said one side is just slightly off, literally millimeters, so I was thinking about buying some black silicone and just filling in that gap, and clamping it overnight again. Question is, is this worth it? I'm already scared to death this wing will fly off on the highway and hit someone's windshield. And I'm not sure how Silicone will affect my paint (if the wing comes off the trunk and I actually have to remove it) from what I've heard it will be much harder to remove. Should I take a loss and get another wing? Should I just silicone it into place? Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
worktolivelife
Private
Rep
Drives: Mine

I can only hazard a guess but think it's down to manufacturing, The OEM Carbon ones sit flush when just placed on the boot lid dry fit
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50