F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 Poor Radio Reception
GetBMWParts

08-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
wakaday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport+

F30 Poor Radio Reception

I problem with my F31 335d has always been poor radio reception with both FM and DAB. I’ve got the HK set-up which I find great quality with CD & USB, but radio reception is very poor. Doesn’t seem to hold a station, even in areas you would expect good reception. Not had an issue on other BMs. Spoke to BM stealer, said book it in as it’s under warranty. I checked the security of the connections into the entertainment unit.I’m a Iittle concerned that is the BM dealer reflash the vehicle for entertainment ECU update, they do the whole vehicle and over write my remap, or even raise note of the remap. Has anyone had radio reception issues and fixed them?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:43 AM   #2
magic juan
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Shadow Edition

The E91's had issues with the Antenna Diversity module failing, causing a loss of radio signal and interference.

These were located under the rear spoiler on the tailgate and were susceptible to water ingress. Not sure if this is where the module is located in the F31.

Mine was replaced under warranty, which restored signal. 6 months later i had interference again, dealer thought it was the wiring, which again was supposedly replaced under warranty. Didn't improve it any, but they maintain that there is no fault. On the road i can only really get Radio 2, on the motorway. Once i get into rural areas it's pretty compromised.

I've kept the car in BMW's extended warranty but can't be bothered pursuing it any longer and just listen to CDs in the car now. I haven't actually had a look myself to see if there are indeed any broken wires from the module. My E91 just turned 9, has 130k miles on it now and about to be moved on, if i was keeping it or it was a young F31 i'd have a different viewpoint i'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
wakaday
Private First Class
Rep

Booked it into dealer, hopefully it's the module or aerial under fin.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
wakaday
Private First Class
Rep

It's been a while , but I've never fixed the poor FM and really poor DAB reception, and recently it’s really started to annoying me. I’ve checked the diversity unit in the tailgate and there doesn’t appear to be any issues with water ingress or corrosion on terminals. I’ve tried manually re-tuning the FM/DAB , but on my software there only seems to be an auto re-tune constantly running (Multimedia: ME-008.009.010). I’ve tried selecting the auto FM/DAB switch , but it doesn’t really help as the FM is also poor. Any Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:43 AM   #5
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Do you have a dashcam fitted with rear camera?

This can cause issues with radio reception as i found out on my F30.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #6
wakaday
Private First Class
Rep

Yes I did, and that basically stopped the DAB reception completely. So , I removed for now. There must be an obvious fix for this , I can't believe BMW could produce such an expensive , complex radio , that basically doesn't work. I've driven cheap cars recently , and their DABs work fine. In addition there no audio fault codes either.
Appreciate 0