E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help- Transmission not resting on mounts

08-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Help- Transmission not resting on mounts

I've changed my transmission mounts twice, and am very familiar with the process. I recently changed out my engine mounts to AKG's 75D poly ones. I loosened the trans mounts when i was done, started the engine, and then rowed through the gears to get the engine and trans settled together. Worked fine.

I installed UUC's stiffest bolt through transmission mounts last night( same dimensions as me previous RE mounts that i just took off) and now, after I have loosened the trans and engine mounts to get them settled, the transmission will not sit on the transmission mounts. there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the transmission and the new mounts, like the trans is hung up on something.
I put the nut on the new mounts hoping it would sort itself out, and last night when i went out for a drive, i heard a terrible grinding gear noise when going over 30 mph or so, which i don't think is just from the stiffer mounts

I didn't drive long, and the car is now back at my house on jackstands with the engine and trans mounts loosened. Same problem as before, transmission will not settle on the mounts

Any ideas?

Last edited by shirtpants_; 08-23-2016 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_ View Post
I've changed my transmission mounts twice, and am very familiar with the process. I recently changed out my engine mounts to AKG's 75D poly ones. I loosened the trans mounts when i was done, started the engine, and then rowed through the gears to get the engine and trans settled together. Worked fine.

I installed UUC's stiffest bolt through transmission mounts last night( same dimensions as me previous RE mounts that i just took off) and now, after I have loosened the trans and engine mounts to get them settled, the transmission will not sit on the transmission mounts. there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the transmission and the new mounts, like the trans is hung up on something.
I put the nut on the new mounts hoping it would sort itself out, and last night when i went out for a drive, i heard a terrible grinding gear noise when going over 30 mph or so, which i don't think is just from the stiffer mounts

I didn't drive long, and the car is now back at my house on jackstands with the engine and trans mounts loosened. Same problem as before, transmission will not settle on the mounts

Any ideas?
Can u lift the trans with a jack and 2x4 and than lower it somewhat fast this way it moves quicker and settled down quicker?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
Can u lift the trans with a jack and 2x4 and than lower it somewhat fast this way it moves quicker and settled down quicker?
I havent tried jacking it up again then letting it down fast. I am able to pull and push on it and move it maybe an 8th of an inch. will try when I get home...
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Why did you loosen the engine mounts? Something probably shifted around.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Why did you loosen the engine mounts? Something probably shifted around.
loosened them because i have solid engine mounts, and after installing new engine or trans mounts, its best to loosen both, start the engine a few times, and then row through the gears so that everything lines up correctly and no vibrations are left over from improper loading of either set of mounts. Makes a big difference.
Appreciate 1
TrollToll654.00
      08-23-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Tried everything i can think of. loosen exhaust to transmission braces, push pull and twist the transmission a little to try and get it to settle, nothing.
I supported the engine with an engine support bar, from the top of the engine where the tow hook screws into the block, and I was not even lifting the engine, just supporting its weight. I checked the trans, and it was finally tightly resting on the mounts. Took the engine support bar off, and it's back off of the mounts again. Now I can guess that wherever its catching is between the motor mounts and the transmission mounts.
Don't really know what i'm gonna do. maybe tighten the trans mounts while the engine is supported then lower the engine back down... this probably wont solve my problem of the weird grinding noises though.

On a couple other forums people are reporting the trans dropping pretty much 0 with the crossmember off, due to the solid motor mounts not flexing. this may be the case... will try to put back the RE mounts instead of UUC, and see if the weird noises stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:33 AM   #7
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_ View Post
loosened them because i have solid engine mounts, and after installing new engine or trans mounts, its best to loosen both, start the engine a few times, and then row through the gears so that everything lines up correctly and no vibrations are left over from improper loading of either set of mounts. Makes a big difference.
So the solid mounts are complicated and a headache to install, eh? When replacing my engine and trans mounts (both OEM), the instructions in TIS and Bentley were straightforward and I didn't have complications. Do the solid mounts make a significant improvement in handling or what?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
So the solid mounts are complicated and a headache to install, eh? When replacing my engine and trans mounts (both OEM), the instructions in TIS and Bentley were straightforward and I didn't have complications. Do the solid mounts make a significant improvement in handling or what?
Solid motor mounts were a pain to install, the trans mounts are easier with solid engine mounts installed. I didnt really even have to support the transmission. (although i did). With normal engine mounts, when you inbolt the transmission mount crossmember, the mounts flex and allow the trans and motor to tilt downwards, thats why you have to support the transmission. With the solid engine mounts, the engine and trans teeter-totter on the engine mounts, since they don't flex at all.

Turns out I'm a dumbass. My original Rogue engineering mounts fit perfect. The UUC mounts were about 1/4-1/8th shorter which is why i thought the trans was caught/too high in the first place . The UUC mounts didnt fit correctly unless i used the enforcer cups. Problem is, the bolts included are too short to use the bushing/mount and the cup, so I had to go to lowes and get new longer bolts. They fit fine now. Will let the mounts break in for a few days before i give my impressions. Unpleasant noises/vibrations are still here though, I guess that comes with the territory going to bolt through trans mounts. Shifting is definitely improved though, Feels great.
Appreciate 0