BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Low engine Oil warning

08-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Low engine Oil warning

So my car has 8.200km, and I just got this warning message.

I did break-in service around 2000km/1200 miles, and almost after 6k km it begs for more oil.

In general I think that it would be great if people would post the millage from your previous service, and when/if you get this error message when you simply had to add up 1 liter/quarter of oil.

Now, the part that confuses me the most, is that I dont know which oil they actually put into my car....

Nobody at that Italian dealership didn't know to speak English, and the service adviser at that dealership pointed me at the paper that they will put in 5w30 oil, but at their final invoice, I was quoted for BMW TwinPower Turbo LL04 0w30 instead 5w30 that he promised.

I really didn't care too much as I hopped that I wouldn't need to add any extra oil until my next service, but now as N55 seems to be Oil thirsty beast, I dont want to gamble and I will simple do the whole oil change just to be safe....

Now the main question which I'm sure that bothers many people is which oil is the best for their M2, and what's the general benefits from different viscosity.

My friend mechanic recommended me to whatever it was in, I should stick with 0w30. Ok but what's difference between LL01 or LL04?!?

Now, my local dealer recommends 5w30, but I'm considering to either continue with 0w30 or go with that new BMW Oil that they recommend for M2 which 0w40 !?

What are general benefits and cons between these too, and if someone switched from 0w30 to 0w40 what's your experience so far?

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

I just put 1l in at 7502miles miles
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
I just put 1l in at 7502miles miles
I think he (OP) wants to know what weight oil. It's a good question. I would probably go with what the dealer said they put in it. I think the 5W 30 is less expensive, so that might be the what and why they used it. My .02
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
I think he (OP) wants to know what weight oil. It's a good question. I would probably go with what the dealer said they put in it. I think the 5W 30 is less expensive, so that might be the what and why they used it. My .02
Ah, OK. I put Mobil 0w 40 in as a top up, it's good stuff. I used 5w 30 in 1m but I had to replace every 1500miles. With Mobil 1 driven the same way, including a track session for 2hrs, it's not lost a drop. I've yet to drive the m2 long distance, track and road but all my cars run Mobil 0w 40, which everyone says is almost like a 0w 30, and I've had no issues.
Appreciate 1